Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
magmaxtic wrote:
Possible General Store encounter:
Lose 1 sanity, then make a Will(-2) check. For every failure you roll, discard 10$(in Arkham money) as you struggle the temptation to buy all expansions at once.

That's odd, my version of that card states
Quote:
Lose 1 sanity, then make a Will(-4) check. For every failure you roll, discard 10$(in Arkham money) as you struggle the temptation to buy all expansions at once.

DakotaDevil wrote:
Sounds goo....wait. Did you say 48 total investigators???

Base game - 16
Dunwich - 8
Kingsport - 8
Innsmouth - 16
Total - 48
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

That's odd, my version of that card states
Quote:
Lose 1 sanity, then make a Will(-4) check. For every failure you roll, discard 10$(in Arkham money) as you struggle the temptation to buy all expansions at once.

You're on the other side of the pond so you have the metric version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyshoggoth wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:
The Lurker for the special gates. You'll never want to play with the regular gates again.
Note however, that the Lurker expansion contains a few gates to other worlds that appear on the Kingsport expansion board(The Underworld and Unknown Kadath)

The Innsmouth expansion introduces personal stories, which is a terrific addition(sort of a mini-rumor/mission for each of the 48 investigators in total), 16 more investigators and the hardest 8 Ancient Ones you'll ever face.The Innsmouth is my favorite expansion but it doesn't add any new items, and only ramps up the difficulty considerably.Thus I wouldn't recommend getting it first.

All the expansions are good,(Kingsport adds 4 brutal AOs, 8 more investigators,helpful guardians and Epic Battle and plot cards for each of the 24 AOs in the game, which make final battle more exciting. Plus a lot more of everything to existing card decks, much like Dunwich)

Anyhow, go with Dunwich and The Lurker for starters.

You'll put these all together in no time for an epic card avalanche. Seriously,with all expansions Arkham Horor probably has the largest number of cards I;ve seen in any board game.

Sounds goo....wait. Did you say 48 total investigators???

Yep. And 24 AOs total.

EDIT: Curse you magmaxtic!

Can I roll for it on my upkeep phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
To bring it all down to an unpleasant base: whatever you buy, you might find, as I did, that the increase in set up and play time eventually leads you to playing something else entirely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
Yep,48 investigators with all expansions+_base game, and 24 Ancient Ones in total.

Wow this game is endless; isn't it. By the looks of some of the posts, many of the expansions add new monsters too. \

Little did I know what I was getting myself into when I ordered the base game a couple of months ago as a "filler" to my order (so I could qualify for free online shipping). It's been a very pleasant surprise.

My favorite thing about it so far: My wife loves to play AH as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are MANY MORE monsters.
And brace yourself, more than 40 Arkham encounters in every neighborhood deck.(if I'm not mistaken) The added encounters are a lot more elaborate too in some of the expansions.And a humongous amount of gate encounters. As for the Mythos cards, ha- it's a flood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
To bring it all down to an unpleasant base: whatever you buy, you might find, as I did, that the increase in set up and play time eventually leads you to playing something else entirely
Poor puny mortal - you could not withstand the rigors of the Mythos. Away with you to your game of Quarriors! Count yourself lucky to have survived... what's that in the corner... no, over there, there you fool... there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Beloch wrote:
Poor puny mortal - you could not withstand the rigors of the Mythos. Away with you to your game of Quarriors! Count yourself lucky to have survived... what's that in the corner... no, over there, there you fool... there

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
To bring it all down to an unpleasant base: whatever you buy, you might find, as I did, that the increase in set up and play time eventually leads you to playing something else entirely :(

Yea, that's happened to me too. It's mood-dependent definitely.
But little else can satiate my ARkham Horror fix when I need it

I've also bought Ghost Stories and it's an excellent co-op game; played it today with my younger brother- we love it!, so Arkham Horor will be getting a break probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Beloch wrote:

Or you'll find that mixing up a special blend of Arkham for your next game night becomes a fun nerdy solo game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add:

I love AH. The theme and story-making rocks

But I can get a good bit of that kick from Elder Sign, easier and quicker and all the rest

We as a group playing every week have time limits; but we also have occasional "boys nights" when 3 or 4 of us get together to do the 3+ hour games. I'm still not sure how many of them will be AH, long term.

Interesting, though. I am still a AH fanboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little off topic, but does anyone know the name of the site that allows you to make your own custom investigators and whatnot. I saw it once on here, but I can't find it now. Sorry, I don't know much else about the site other than you can use it to create investigator and it assigns skills, stats, and random equipment, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a program called Strange Eons. You can get it here:
http://cgjennings.ca/eons/#Download
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
It's a program called Strange Eons. You can get it here:
http://cgjennings.ca/eons/#Download

Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
I should add:

I love AH. The theme and story-making rocks

But I can get a good bit of that kick from Elder Sign, easier and quicker and all the rest

We as a group playing every week have time limits; but we also have occasional "boys nights" when 3 or 4 of us get together to do the 3+ hour games. I'm still not sure how many of them will be AH, long term.

Interesting, though. I am still a AH fanboy.
AH is my favourite game, but I only play it around once a month. On game night we play my Game of the Month (one of my new purchases) on one table and another chosen by the hosts of the session on the other table (often one of the previous GotMs, but not always). We reserve the last game night of the month for an AH session. That way AH is always fresh, we get to play other games and we're still going up the learning curve and adding expansions after several years of play. Works for me.

Mind you, GotM in May might just be AH played only with a single small box expansion and four Investigators. I have CotDP just itching to burst free of its chains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur. Playing the game very frequently will make it seem overbearing. Everything is good in moderation. Playing AH once a week during my interest season in the game is reasonable. It's less frequent in the off-season.

For other games, we play Race for the Galaxy quite a bit, and we'll definitely be playing the delightful Ghost Stories I've recently acquired in between the weekly/bi-weekly Arkham Horror ventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:

Or you just get better organized.

I'll pack and unpack my game at a convention 6 or 7 times.

But then at home I have two rooms dedicated to the games. You just have to have the proper priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
I concur. Playing the game very frequently will make it seem overbearing. Everything is good in moderation. Playing AH once a week during my interest season in the game is reasonable. It's less frequent in the off-season.

For other games, we play Race for the Galaxy quite a bit, and we'll definitely be playing the delightful Ghost Stories I've recently acquired in between the weekly/bi-weekly Arkham Horror ventures.

Twice every weekend, sometimes more. Since I only play one expansion at at a time and have made up 19 additonal investigators it takes a long time before the same combination happens again.

However I do have three separate groups so that no one group gets overborne or overbeared upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We alternate between expansion boards, and play with one board at a time. Cycling through each one takes up four sessions(one is played without the boards).Heralds and guardians are optional, depending on the GOO.
Some houserules:

1)each investigator starts the game with a home location encounter

2) investigators who defeat a hexagon monster get a corruption card.

3) During final battle a deck of Epic Battle cards is finalized the following way:
a)for every seal on the board, put a green card on top of the deck.Then put one red card underneath the green cards, and interchange the remaining green and red cards in the same manner as above. When you run out of green cards to buffer the red, put the remaining red cards on the bottom. The End of Everything has to be the last card.
Roll a die each round to determine the card drawn

b)If none of the locations are sealed when the GOO awakens, put all the red cards on the top(except the End of Everything), Put the green cards on the bottom and finalize the deck with the End of Everything.

4)If Nyarlathotep is the GOO,a mask cup is prepared. The first gate in the game brings out a mask monster. During each monster surge, a mask monster appears on the surging gate.
Masks never go to the outskirts. If one has to go there, increase the terror level by 1 instead and return it to its cup.

Got the third idea from Tibs', and it's stuck with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:

why?

Quote:
4)If Nyarlathotep is the GOO,a mask cup is prepared. The first gate in the game brings out a mask monster. During each monster surge, a mask monster appears on the surging gate.
I like the sound of this Variant, but surely this means that you only get a Mask on a Gate Burst? I haven't worked out the probability of a GB vs. a drawn Mask if they are in the main Monster bag, but in most games I would suspect that I'd get fewer through GB than I would through a draw. It seems that there's a risk of Nerfing the effect of Masks this way. Can anybody run the numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mccrispy wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:

why?

For the obvious reason maybe?

Black Goat of the Woods introduce Corruption cards. It also links Hexagon monsters with the Black Goat so the association seems to make sense, better than most.

And why should someone's house rule need your permission?
mccrispy wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:
I like the sound of this Variant, but surely this means that you only get a Mask on a Gate Burst? I haven't worked out the probability of a GB vs. a drawn Mask if they are in the main Monster bag, but in most games I would suspect that I'd get fewer through GB than I would through a draw. It seems that there's a risk of Nerfing the effect of Masks this way. Can anybody run the numbers?

magmaxtic clearly says monster surge, not Gate Burst. Why does mean that a Mask monster only comes out on a Gate Burst?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a monster surge it is(when a monster comes out of every open gate on the board, a mask is drawn for the surging gate). Also, one mask is always drawn for the first gate. This ensures that at least one mask always enters play, even in the unlikely event that monster surges don't occur.
We just wanted to maximize Nyarlothotep's effect on the game, and this felt like the best way. Having him as the GOO and never drawing any masks seemed like a waste.

Also,forgot another one for the Nyarlothotep variant: masks never go to the outskirts.When one has to go there, increase the terror level by 1 instead; the mask is returned to the cup.

At one time,we also wanted to implement this: "all monsters in encounters are masks", but it felt too difficult, since encounters are unavoidable and difficult to prepare for, and the masks can be truly gruesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:

why?

For the obvious reason maybe?
You could have merely provided the following paragraph in answer and I would have thanked you politely and tipped you GG. Instead, I will merely acknowledgement that you provided an answer. But maybe you get more from being condescending than from thanks.

Quote:
Black Goat of the Woods introduce Corruption cards. It also links Hexagon monsters with the Black Goat so the association seems to make sense, better than most.

And why should someone's house rule need your permission?
it doesn't. If my tone suggested otherwise I apologise. I am generally tolerant of house rules, more so latterly, I point out where a suggestion is a Variant and applaud those that I think sound like a good idea. But I don't have the authority to grant permission, neither do I have the right to deny it. I regularly point out Richard Launius's attitude to the rules of the game when it comes to house rules; I'm surprised you haven't noticed this. I can't tell whether your comment applies to the preceding or following paras. If to the preceding, I can't see how a simple "why" attracts this criticism and if the following then I don't see it here either.

Quote:
mccrispy wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:

magmaxtic clearly says monster surge, not Gate Burst. Why does mean that a Mask monster only comes out on a Gate Burst?
Clearly, there is many a slip twixt brain and keyboard. My mind often follows off down an internal thought trail while I'm typing the initial response. There is sometimes leakage between these processes. I blame the Mythos and my advancing age. Allow me to offer an edited version of that paragraph for you to pull apart in the style to which we have become accustomed:

I like the sound of this Variant, but surely this means that you only get a Mask on a Monster Surge? Monster Surges are somewhat unreliable in appearance in my games whereas the numbers of Masks has been (I assume) kept in balance through the expansions. The maths of working out the probability of a Monster Surge is beyond my level of interest, perhaps somebody with greater persistence could do it for us. It feels that there's a risk of Nerfing the effect of Masks this way, but I do like it Thematically. Can anybody run the numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
Yes, a monster surge it is(when a monster comes out of every open gate on the board, a mask is drawn for the surging gate). Also, one mask is always drawn for the first gate. This ensures that at least one mask always enters play, even in the unlikely event that monster surges don't occur.
We just wanted to maximize Nyarlothotep's effect on the game, and this felt like the best way. Having him as the GOO and never drawing any masks seemed like a waste.

Also, forgot another one for the Nyarlothotep variant: masks never go to the outskirts. When one has to go there, increase the terror level by 1 instead; the mask is returned to the cup.

At one time, we also wanted to implement this: "all monsters in encounters are masks", but it felt too difficult, since encounters are unavoidable and difficult to prepare for, and the masks can be truly gruesome.
Thank you for responding to the reply that I meant to type

I absolutely agree with the intention of your Variant: it does seem a shame when Nyarly is the GOO if Masks don't put in an appearance. Or three, or four. I also like the Thematic effect of the Variant. Do you have any stats showing the effect on the numbers of Masks, or do you only have a subjective assessment (I assume that at least subjectively it works or you would have dropped it)?

Like you, I think that making all monsters "Mask" would be excessive: either as a result of endlessly (heh!) recycling the few Masks that there are in the game, which would be boring; or because making all Monsters Mask would just be granting them the Endless ability - preventing the gathering of any trophies. Nasty.

I may give this a go next time we draw Nylarly as our opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea about Nyarlathotep. Up until now I've played the conventional way, and I hardly ever get mask creatures. I don't think the God of the Bloody Tongue has ever hit my board.

I'm doing it this way from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.