Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Con seven,three short months awayright around the corner, it's time to start up the Disc Golf thread. Last year we had a great turnout, and I'm hoping we can get even more people hucking some plastic this time around. I've put up some suggested details for the event, a bit different from the previous two years. These will very likely be changed as the discussion takes place. If you have any ideas, share them in the thread.

Details:

Date: Thursday, November 15th
Time: 9am Tee Off
Location: Bear Creek Disc Golf course, Grapevine, TX (8 miles from the BGG Con Hotel)
Format: Semi-Random Doubles

Meet for a Ride: In the Hyatt Lobby @ 8 am. If you are driving over, please help us out by providing a ride to your fellow golfers. I'll have room for 2 in my car.

Optional Times: Some BGG'ers have made plans for a 9 am Friday round. If you can't make it on Thursday, you can still get your Geek Golf in on Friday morning. Same details as above, just a day later.

Never played disc golf before? Come on out! I will bring lots extra discs for use by newbies, so you'll be all set. Flying in and can't pack discs? I'll have a few extra small bags and lots of discs so you can put together enough for your game.

If you need a ride, there are always people who offer seats, and I can give a ride to a few people. PM me, and I will make sure you have a seat, and know where and when to meet your ride.

Prizes/Raffle(Clarification):

Last year we gave away discs from player donations, and from Derk with BGG. Since there are lots of people of different skill levels, people are playing in multiple groups, and this is super-casual, giving out prizes is a challenge. If any prizes are donated, we will very casually raffle them during the 9 am round. Odds will be very favorable to brand new golfers and international attendees. This is not about fairness, but fun and participation.

Other Disc Sports

BGG'er Lenny and some others have expressed interest in freestyle and Ultimate. If you aren't a golfer but like to throw, speak up in the thread. There are fields at the course that could be used for any disc activity, from MTA to KanJam.

Directions: (Warning!!! If you just map "Bear Creek Park" you get directions that take you to Grapevine, 28 miles away.)

Go South on International Pkwy (the road through the airport)
Turn Right on Airfield Dr - go 1 mile
Turn Left on East Mid Cities Blv - go 0.5 miles
Turn Right onto 360 - go 2.8 miles
Exit TX 121 S/ Stone Meyers Pkwy
Make the first left under the highway, and make another left onto the southbound access road (or simply put, make a U-Turn under the highway).
You will see baseball fields. Turn in just after the baseball fields. It is the second possible right you can make.
This is a gravel parking lot. Tee 1 is right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 172425. hyzer
  • 1d20 =
  • (6) =
  • Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I'm not a disc golfer, (used to a bit in H.S.) but I could host a freestyle disc circle in the parking lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a freestyler, but I've always wanted to be one. I can throw a lid pretty well, so I'm down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bring the bag o' discs! Hopefully there's a lawn somewhere nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball field right off of the parking lot, and some field space as well. Plenty of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to make it this year! Kids Thanksgiving play be damned!

Whats this I heard about Ft Worth shutting down Z-Boaz park? Oh, it just pertains to the regular golf course. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any disc golf since my last broken back and two back surgeries. I have finally fully recovered and I was able to sit in planes for 48 hours within a two week period (Dallas to Sydney to Tokyo to Singapore back to Tokyo then back to Dallas) without having to take any pain meds so now I should be ok for some Disc Throwing!!!! Last week I practiced a few throws in the office parking lot and was successful at hitting my bosses car and the office window (although not in the same shot). Fortunately they were my bosses discs and he was throwing with me.

I hope to make it out for some Disc Golf and Some Free Throws as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we never played disc golf, but my wife and me do know how to throw a frisbee, so we'd love to give it a try. But we will be flying in from Germany, so somebody there will need to supply us with the discs (we'll happily buy a set or two to take them home with us...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
Well, we never played disc golf, but my wife and me do know how to throw a frisbee, so we'd love to give it a try. But we will be flying in from Germany, so somebody there will need to supply us with the discs (we'll happily buy a set or two to take them home with us...).

I came from a frisbee throwing background. Generally, frisbees are bigger and lighter than Golf Discs. For me, being able to throw a frisbee translated to the short/middle game well with a light midrange... like a 140g class Shark... because I was familiar with "wristing" the disk. However, it took me a while to figure out how to drive. Driving is more of a whole body affair!

There are more than a few places around here to buy discs. I look forward to meeting yall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
wolfzell wrote:

I came from a frisbee throwing background. Generally, frisbees are bigger and lighter than Golf Discs. For me, being able to throw a frisbee translated to the short/middle game well with a light midrange... like a 140g class Shark... because I was familiar with "wristing" the disk. However, it took me a while to figure out how to drive. Driving is more of a whole body affair!

There are more than a few places around here to buy discs. I look forward to meeting yall.
Further differention (because we are all geeks here: Frisbees are made by Wham-O. I tend to sport the large, Ultimate-style discs of the 170-180 gram variety. I only have a few 'Frisbees' in the bag.

Glad to hear there's some interest for this. It will be good to get some fresh air and exercise in the midst of a gaming convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:

There will be plenty of discs to share. If you are playing for the first time, you'll really only need two discs.

German you say? We goin' global with this thang!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
2 discs? When I started, I only used the 140g Shark!

My advice to beginners, stay away from anything labeled 'ultra long range driver'. They will go far, but only after you have mastered the technique. Otherwise you will be throwing all over the place.

I would even go as far as recommending beginners to start with a putter and learn how to out-throw it and then move up to a midrange...etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me sad I'm not going, Gencon doesn't have disc golf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of joining in for the last 2 years. I haven't left the hotel except to go across the street for those 2 years so maybe this is the year I get out and try something else. I'd love to give some disc golf a try. Like others here, I can throw a frisbee but have only tried disc golf with the playstation move So this would be mostly new to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still be very interested in a BGG game of Ultimate.

We'd need at least 6, 8-12 would be best. Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends, how good at ultimate are you talking? I played a bit, and understand the concept, but never more than casually and with zero strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:

I played last year, never having played and with no discs. I came home with a full compliment of discs gifted to me by generous players. I had a great time, and will definitely be playing again!

And, you can teach me frisbee & golf terms auf Deutsch! Ausgezeichnet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
Depends, how good at ultimate are you talking? I played a bit, and understand the concept, but never more than casually and with zero strategy

I'm talking more of a workout and fun session by far than a competitive league kind of thing. Ability to throw and catch and run a little.
Get a good sweat on and have a few laughs and burn off some con food. That's my thought, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

I'm talking more of a workout and fun session by far than a competitive league kind of thing. Ability to throw and catch and run a little.
Get a good sweat on and have a few laughs and burn off some con food. That's my thought, anyway.
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be available, I can handle that much at least I'll confirm when we get closer if we get something set up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
sduke wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

Count me in!

If only I could find some excuse to be in Texas in the Fall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
LennyS wrote:
sduke wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:

Count me in!

If only I could find some excuse to be in Texas in the Fall...
We haven't given you ample excuses?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I r in

and I'll drag my friend with too.

I'm down for any pre-CON disc golfin with any locals too btw. Just IM me. I live in Lewisville currently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Marshall
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
2 discs? When I started, I only used the 140g Shark!

My advice to beginners, stay away from anything labeled 'ultra long range driver'. They will go far, but only after you have mastered the technique. Otherwise you will be throwing all over the place.

I would even go as far as recommending beginners to start with a putter and learn how to out-throw it and then move up to a midrange...etc...

Two people = two discs. I usually hand out aeros, stingrays, makos, or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Oh Hi Marc
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in, and will be bringing my own discs, plus a few gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.