Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PC/Mac wargame Unity of Command just went on sale for 33% off for Easter weekend.

If you were on the fence about buying it or are only just now hearing about it, now is your chance.

http://unityofcommand.net/

IMO, this is an amazingly elegant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great -- and tough -- game.

Do you know if they ever gave the option to use NATO symbols instead of icons for the units? I worry some grognards might pass on the game because it looks like Panzer General, when in fact it is a classic wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
It is a great -- and tough -- game.

Do you know if they ever gave the option to use NATO symbols instead of icons for the units? I worry some grognards might pass on the game because it looks like Panzer General, when in fact it is a classic wargame.

Yah, that's a legit complaint. Personally, I think their graphics are refreshing and intelligent. The Romanian ID is the Romanian looking guy. But I get the desire for NATO counters.

I think if you go to matrixgames.com forum, there is a NATO counter mod. The game isn't hard to mod allegedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
The PC/Mac wargame Unity of Command just went on sale for 33% off for Easter weekend.

If you were on the fence about buying it or are only just now hearing about it, now is your chance.

http://unityofcommand.net/

Thank you....I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats. I was on the fence as one of the few Mac wargames of this quality. At $20, I'm probably going to do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought at full price Ty for OSX and enjoy it a great deal. Much more difficult than it look offers a nice challenge. It took my 4-5 tries to win the last easy level scenario as the Germans (Edelweiss) and I got crushed on the first attempt at the first medium difficulty scenario. Worth $20 on sae without question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I bought at full price Ty for OSX and enjoy it a great deal. Much more difficult than it look offers a nice challenge. It took my 4-5 tries to win the last easy level scenario as the Germans (Edelweiss) and I got crushed on the first attempt at the first medium difficulty scenario. Worth $20 on sae without question.

Agreed.

It's a satisfying game. When I got a brilliant victory at Stalingrad (was NOT my first attempt) it felt real good. The AI is crafty and understands supply well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos // Abdullah Ibrahim: African Sun // Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra: Boulevard de L'Independance
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I play boardgames.

Congrats. They are a lot of fun aren't they?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought it. Clever game overall. It moves fast enough that I haven't picked up the nuances yet.

Sad to see there is only one mulitplayer scenario. Hopefully others are coming.

Worth the $20 based on a few hours of game play.

Let me know if anyone wants to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, however all the singleplayer scenarios work in MP and, according to the developers, a scenario maker is coming in the next patch.

PM me if you want to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh kool. I didn't know you could play the regular scenarios MP. That should be plenty.

I'll send a pm for play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
veritas nos liberabit
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
chrono280 wrote:

Must. Resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound like a fanboy, but Unity of Command just got a 20% price cut, a new patch that adds some nifty features AND a Demo (http://unityofcommand.net/demo/) for folks that want to give it a spin first.

Very very nice war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a phenomenal game; one of the best and most approachable that I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
Not to sound like a fanboy, but Unity of Command just got a 20% price cut, a new patch that adds some nifty features AND a Demo (http://unityofcommand.net/demo/) for folks that want to give it a spin first.

Very very nice war game.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. I tried Combat Command from Matrix a few months ago, and I dipped my toes into Tigers Unleashed but it's been hard to get into PC-based turn-based games in 2D. Any chance of a full review over at VGG? At the very least, some screenshots would be of interest - I can't even tell if the game is operational or grand strategy from the page you linked to. It sounds interesting enough that I'd like to hear more from someone who obviously enjoys it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No prob, I'd love to write a review but don't have the time right now. Here's one of the best AARs out there, this sold the game to me actually:
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=3262

And a podcast review of it:
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/12/22/three-moves-ahe...

Wargamer also has some reviews/aars too that are good.

You're right though, this stuff belongs on the VGG page, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
No prob, I'd love to write a review but don't have the time right now. Here's one of the best AARs out there, this sold the game to me actually:
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=3262

And a podcast review of it:
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/12/22/three-moves-ahe...

Wargamer also has some reviews/aars too that are good.

You're right though, this stuff belongs on the VGG page, thanks.

I see no problem with the occasional mention of these types of games here; there is no "wargame" section at VGG yet as there are few people interested in conflict simulations there.

That said, thanks for the links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought UoC when it was first released. It's really a fine game.

It's a video game, but there are many things that might appeal to board wargamers, although it make good use of the computer media.
The mechanics are rather simple and nicely focus on the basis of operational combat, without overwhelming the player under tons of parameteres. I would compare it to A Victory Lost in terms of complexity (with different mechanisms though).

Most scenarios can be played in 1-2 hours. They haven't many turns (6-10), which is good for play by email. The campaign doesn't add much to the scenarios. The AI is rather good, and make you pay dearly if you are not careful about protecting your supply lanes.

There's a mod for NATO style gfx, but the default are refreshing, and I quickly came to appreciate them.

Very good to practice drives, encirclements and hitting the enemy supply. Might interest Operational Combat Series fans, much quicker though and only division sized units.

You can learn good lessons for your favourite board wargame.

If you are looking for PvP opponent contact me via geek mail. I'm experienced but beginners are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.