Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a 4 player. All 4 were experienced players and we played 13 Eco phases in 4 1/2 hours. I am very excited to be able to get a 4 player game done in this kind of time frame. The game was a free for all and it did end in the destruction of the Blue Homeworld (by yours truly).

I was red. Across from me Ian was Green. Next to me, Pat was Blue and diagonal from me, Ed was Yellow.

Initially it looked like Ian and I (Green and Red) would tangle while Ed and PAt (Yellow and Blue) began to push scouts in each other's direction.

The Red-Green (Ian and I) border militarized fairly quickly with both of us pushing what would later be revealed to be Cruisers into the area.

Around the time I took the plunge and attacked a Green pipeline along the edge of Ian's space, 2 Dooms Day machines were revealed; one along the Blue-Yellow (Ed/Pat) border and another on the Green-Yellow (Ed/Ian) border. Realizing these DMs would create an enforced demilitarization along those borders until they could be destroyed, it appeared to me that both Green and Blue (Ian and Pat) would almost be forced to turn on me. Using my position in Ian's green-space as a position of strength from which to negotiate, Ian and I agreed to a truce and I shifted my units to my border with Pat/Blue.

By now, it was about Eco phase 7 or 8, and I was pumping 4 2-2 CA's (with explore tech and move 2) per round and I had all but one of my Colonies connected by pipelines.

Ed/Yellow managed to destroy the DM along his border with Ian/Green and it appeared those two were going to square off with their fleets.

Pat/Blue and I spent the next couple of rounds squaring off against each other and exploring the space between us. It was obvious to both of us that we both had cruiser stacks with explore tech. I managed to uncover a space wreck (which gave me a ship size upgrade in the next eco phase) and a couple of mineral 10s, while he uncovered an alien world and a bunch of nothing. I had miners in the area and managed to drag both the wreck and the minerals back to a colony world for a big eco phase. I also found my own Alien World and in the next phase teched terraforming and built 2 colony ships (one for the newly found Alien world and the other to colonize the Barren world in my near space).

In the next move round Ed/Yellow and Ian/Green fought in the far space along their borders. Ian/Green had a couple 3-2 battleships a couple of cruisers and 3 destroyers. Ed/Yellow had 2 carriers and 6 fighters with some scouts. The battle was pretty lopsided with Ed/yellow losing all of his fighters and Ian/green only losing his 3 destroyers before Ed retreated.

In another neck of the galaxy, Pat/blue and I both wiped out an Alien world and brought up a colony ship to colonize. These two worlds were only 2 hexes apart and on my move 3 I attacked his fleet on the newly colonized barren world. We were fairly even but my 5 cruisers and 2 battlecruisers all had 2-2 upgrades, while he only had Def-2 and no attack upgrades with 6 cruisers and, I believe, no battlecruisers. My extra upgrades made a huge difference and I was able to retreat my BC's which he managed to hit and never took a loss while he lost a couple cruisers before retreating and leaving behind a pipeline and a colony ship which I destroyed. In the next round, he attempted once again to colonize the alien world and I once again killed several cruisers and a colony ship. By now, the imbalance in fleet size and tech between Pat/Blue and I was starting to tilt enough for me to attempt a run on his homeworld. Ian/Green realized the same in his battles vs Ed/Yellow with his large ships (he was making battleships exclusively by now, with 3-2 upgrades).

From here, it became a race to see if I could wear Pat/blue down and take his homeworld before Ian/Green could do the same to Ed/Yellow.

A turn before, I had built 8 Scouts in order give me numerical superiority in my cruiser standoffs with Pat and I rushed them along with 3 Cruisers to the battle lines. Within a few rounds, I had managed to bring my fleets together - 8 1-1 Scouts (with Point defense, which never got used) , 3 2-2 BC's and 7 Cruisers (2 with 1-2 and 5 with 2-2). This combined fleet weaved its way through Blue space, hit one colony and destroyed it and then had a final battle on Pat's Homeworld, where he had a base, a bunch of cruisers and his Shipyard stack. He had a second smaller fleet which he was pushing towards my space, but ran into some mines and did not really deter my plans.

Why he never built mines, I cannot guess. In the end I lost my battlecruisers before I wiped out his defenses and destroyed his homeworld. The numerical advantage offered by the 8 scouts played a huge role in this battle.

I estimate Green was one more eco phase away from destroying Yellow's homeworld at that time as his upgraded battleships were making quick work of Yellow's carrier fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report

Indeed I didn't place mines the last time I was in such a position, either, and should have, together with building back up to an infrastructure with SYs wherever possible. I could probably have postponed the inevitable for a few more turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bunch

Triangle
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,
Why no mines? Mostly cause I forgot about then until my CAs ran into yours....Sad but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axe_troop wrote:
Dave,
Why no mines? Mostly cause I forgot about then until my CAs ran into yours....Sad but true.

I suspect it was getting late and you saw the writing on the wall. It was Ian who was most disapointed in your quick downfall, he really wanted to crush Ed's homeworld, I suspect.

Thanks again for coming over Pat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Llewellyn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the hapless Yellow in this game. Though I wasn't actually yellow, more like the Marshall Marat - too eager to charge into battle.
Mainly, though it didn't help that I couldn't decide to focus completely on fighters/CVs or capital ships, but a bit of both.

Next time I'll try to bring a calculator, too. The math is easy, but I was tired after trying to debug a program at work, and doing in the margins was too slow.

Anyways, it was an interesting game, and I look forward to our next strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ellewellyn wrote:
This is the hapless Yellow in this game. Though I wasn't actually yellow, more like the Marshall Marat - too eager to charge into battle.
Mainly, though it didn't help that I couldn't decide to focus completely on fighters/CVs or capital ships, but a bit of both.

Next time I'll try to bring a calculator, too. The math is easy, but I was tired after trying to debug a program at work, and doing in the margins was too slow.

Anyways, it was an interesting game, and I look forward to our next strategy game.

Hi Ed!

For the carrier strat, you pretty much want to focus on that tech tree. Getting att-1 and def-1 upgrades is crucial. Then you want to focus on getting fighter 2 and fighter 3 techs. Also, make lots and lots of carriers so that your stacks can have numberical advantage. That extra +1 to attack is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.