Subject: Best overlooked CCG/TCG(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Heroes CCG, ranks close to my top card game. Gameplay was fun and quick. Unfortunately it just never caught on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Guardians, Hyborean Age, Jyhad (first edition) and Doomtown. Obviously all from the early days of CCGs and I have not played any of them for over twelve years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarvos_the_Avenger wrote:
I'm going to ask that we stay away from Netrunner for obvious reasons.

What "obvious reasons" would those be? It's an amazing, but often-overlooked game.

It and Jyhad / Vampire: the Eternal Struggle are the two best CCGs ever made. Richard Garfield did an amazing thing with Magic, then made two even better games in the span of just a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How overlooked does it have to be? In a certain sense, I think every TCG other than Magic, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh can be considered "overlooked" these days.

Netrunner is great.

I've heard Vampire: TES is great too but haven't played it and it seems impossible to start now - there's no way to get enough cards to supply a whole group of new players.

Personally, I really like the Call of Cthulhu LCG. Is that "overlooked"? Whatever, it's an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all the LCGs so far, but I don't know if we can call them overlooked because, from what I've heard, they are all doing very well for FFG since they went to that format.

I think Harry Potter is a great, overlooked CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on how you define "Overlooked". I really enjoyed The Spoils and the Epic TCG as both worked to solve some of the major issues I had with Magic as game. There's lots of really neat CCG/TCG's out there and a few years ago most could be had on the cheap as they all went out of style. These days finding old TCG's on the cheap is getting a bit harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Social interaction will cease!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the Harry Potter TCG. Good game, five sets, still available and affordable.

If Doomtown counts as overlooked, then I'll vote for that, as well.

I'm playing the Terminator CCG this weekend, at which point I will have a better idea if it qualifies as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Conan CCG.
Lots of really neat ideas and captures the source material well. Since you didn't have to worry about mixing factions (or colors) it really opened up all cards for deck building options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the Free Realms TCG. Based on (and playable inside) an MMO aimed at 11-14 year olds, the theme is a bit silly, but the system is solid and the mechanics are clever and streamlined.

Unfortunately it seems like the "real version" of the game was only a cash-grab promotion for Sony. There was (I assume) only one printing and besides the starter packs (which were unfortunately all identical) the cards are bizarrely hard to find. Every pack contains a virtual rewards card, so the online addicts buy them up to get special avatar items.

I've gotten lucky a few times on eBay and purchased lots of loose cards for basically nothing plus shipping. Since apparently I'm the only person interested in the actual cards instead of the virtual rewards.

The system is a bit skewed towards rares, but otherwise I think it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Darksbane wrote:
City of Heroes CCG, ranks close to my top card game. Gameplay was fun and quick. Unfortunately it just never caught on.
That's interesting, as I rank City Of Heroes among my least favorite CCGs. Too many "move cards" for a super-hero game, too little reliance on the multitude of characters. It was indeed weird how little it caught on though, too late I guess.

My vote for most underrated CCG (Doomtown doesn't count) is another Richard Garfield effort:
BattleTech CCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never a huge CCG player, but I always had a great time playing Mythos. It never seemed to really get noticed like I thought it was going to. Of course it came out during the great CCG deluge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Darksbane wrote:
That's interesting, as I rank City Of Heroes among my least favorite CCGs. Too many "move cards" for a super-hero game, too little reliance on the multitude of characters. It was indeed weird how little it caught on though, too late I guess.

There are a million ccgs where you throw down character cards and duke it out against your opponents characters. The lack of tons of characters out is one of the main things in my mind that set it apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nightmare before Christmas TCG was a great game. A lot of combo building and chaining cards made playing a blast. The game lasted for 12 rounds (turns) so if you didn't get your AWESUM! combo off the first turn you still could win.

paradoxes wrote:
I'm not sure what the "obvious reasons" are for not including Netrunner here, but I feel I must agree with previous posters that it is one of the best overlooked CCGs.

Because Netrunner is the first choice of everyone, the whole thread would be Netrunner, and the OP would like a variety of answers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord if it counts as overlooked considering its status. Essentially d20 the card game but the rank and file system adds an element of strategy without sacrificing speed of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan williams
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had someone to play Spycraft with. Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to second The Nightmare Before Christmas TCG
It's a shame the Christmas Town expansion didn't make it across here(that I could find at the time)so no penguins for me
A CCG that didn't need the rares to work & there were plenty of different deck types you could build
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Abernathy
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Dog Fight: Starship Ediiton is the best CCG no one's ever heard of, hands down.www.dogfighttcg.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imjodokast wrote:
Conan CCG.
Lots of really neat ideas and captures the source material well. Since you didn't have to worry about mixing factions (or colors) it really opened up all cards for deck building options.

Shhh ninja .

It's already tough (read: near impossible) to find cards for it anymore, at least on anywhere close to what I consider reasonable prices, no need to make it harder (for me whistle ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played over 100 CCGs, however I could probably only recommend 20 (if that many) of those 100. Of those 20, here's 10 that I've come up with:

1. MLB Showdown - A great baseball sim, with simple rules.

2. NFL Showdown - The strategy in this game was amazing, the scanner was a great idea, but it made the game much longer than it should have been.

3. Guardians - The CCG that felt like a board game. The awful balance of non-creature cards and other issues ruin the game.

4. Young Jedi CCG - Yes, it was simple, but it was a lot of fun. Deck construction was easy and the card balance was much better than most Decipher games.

5. The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game - This game has the best resource system of any game. You can play all of your cards if you like, but everything you spend allows your opponents to play more cards against you. Plus multiplayer worked very well.

6. Legend of the Five Rings - I'm not sure if I would consider this that underrated, but unlike other early CCGs, it didn't clone Magic and it had a great resource and synergy that most other games didn't.

7. Netrunner - This game failed because it shouldn't have been a CCG. This is wonderful 2 player card game that allows each player to be different forces with different goals that interact very smoothly.

8. Vampire: The Eternal Struggle - I am calling it by the name that I played it as. Still the best multiplayer CCG. I almost feel that this is the best game that Richard Garfield designed. It was balanced and almost every card was well designed (for the first few sets.) The biggest drawback of this game was the time that it took to play it.

9. Dixie: Bull Run - Another CCG that could have been a board game. A lot of randomness, but it was an interesting light Civil War card game.

10. WWE Raw Deal - I'm not much of a wrestling fan, but this game was fun and actually pretty balanced. My buddy and I played just from a couple of starter decks and it was fun just with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
10. WWE Raw Deal - I'm not much of a wrestling game, but this game was fun and actually pretty balanced. My buddy and I played just from a couple of starter decks and it was fun just with those.

You can still find at least the Revolution 2 Extreme Combo Box fairly cheap online. It comes with 4 starters (4 different superstars) and IIRC 24 boosters. Just a little deck-building gives you four decks that are reasonably balanced against one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Anachronism. Not a CCG in the true sense, where each player needs a 60-card deck, but an easy, quick and very fun minis game with cards. While each game takes only 5 cards per player, if you get into the game and build the 25-card tourney decks with friends, you can successfully get the CCG deck-building jones out of your system. Or you can just build easy 5-card decks and play a game in 5 minutes.

Getting a complete set is stupid expensive because some of the later promos were extremely limited, but you can get the base sets pretty easy and cheaply. They will give you hours of gaming, and you can always print out the promos you don't have (proxies work perfectly in this game if you use colored sleeves, since there is no shuffling). There are also two fan-made sets to print out. Recommended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
I wish I had someone to play Spycraft with. Great fun.

I looked into this game. I looks like a good one, and the cards were cheap, but I never got to play. Anyone want to buy some cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Doomtrooper. Great mythos to pull from and the card game captured the feel of the RPG, board and miniature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Babylon 5 - tense, balanced, multiplayer game that feels just like the show!
Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the initial release of the first Bab 5 CCG was good. Things started to go downhill with the expansions. Some of those voting rounds made for some good memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.