Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hall
United States
Columbia
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would take "overlooked" to mean that it didn't have any kind of widespread, sustained tournament life. I actually called Ophidian 2350 "overlooked" in a review I posted a long time ago. My short list would be:

Original Games with Cool Ideas:
City of Heroes CCG
Conan Collectible Card Game
Ophidian 2350
Stargate

Reworkings of Previous Games:
Legend of the Burning Sands
WARS Trading Card Game

All of these are worth a look if the cards are cheap and you have willing opponents. Some might take some house rules or card restrictions.

FFG LCGs, WotC's Star Wars, Decipher's LotR, Battletch, Doomtown, and a handful of other games from WotC/Decipher/AEG would be worth a look if you have overlooked them before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get into BattleTech CCG, but is it cost effective nowadays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-player CCG gaming, Vs. System is by far my favorite. I've been a big fan of comic books for about 25 years, so the theme was what drew me to it. Beyond that, it had a good resource system, tons of card combination options, and several expansions that covered nearly all of the Marvel and DC universes. It's still out there and very affordable. Sadly, it turned out to be the test bed for the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, and died shortly after that was released.

For multiplayer CCG gaming, nothing beats The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game by Decipher for me. It had a fantastic resource system, and a number of great factions and card effects that lent itself well to multiplayer gaming. Very difficult to find a CCG that allows for more than two players, and even harder to find one that was better designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VS. Almost made my list. Although it's clearly a Magic clone, it has enough comic book flavor that makes a great game on it's own.

I would have to try Battletech again, but when it first came out, I convinced all of my friends to buy it. Let's just say that none of my friends enjoyed the game and a lot of them were upset (including myself) that we wasted money on such a terrible game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
VS. Almost made my list. Although it's clearly a Magic clone, it has enough comic book flavor that makes a great game on it's own.

Although I don't intend to derail the thread, I have to ask why you are of the impression that VS. is a "magic clone".

The resource system doesn't resemble MTG at all in that any card can be used as a resource, and some card's effects can only be played if they are in the resource row. The character cards that are played are done in either front or back rows, a concept that doesn't exist in Magic. Finally, the combat has concepts such as team attacking, reinforcement, different character states (such as exhausted, stunned, KO'd), a recovery phase in which a character can be recovered each turn, etc etc.

I can go on, but other than the fact that there are cards and each player has a life counter in front of them, I don't see many similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should clarify my position. You are correct in saying that it has differences from Magic. However, to me it feels a lot like Magic. You build up your resources one at a time, similar to Magic. The way to win the game is similar (reduce your opponent to zero).

I was wrong to say Magic clone. But it is definitely highly influenced by Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:

iirc battletech starters averaged 15-$20 the past few months.

SVan wrote:
I should clarify my position. You are correct in saying that it has differences from Magic. However, to me it feels a lot like Magic. You build up your resources one at a time, similar to Magic. The way to win the game is similar (reduce your opponent to zero).

I was wrong to say Magic clone. But it is definitely highly influenced by Magic.

I would think that a lot of CCGs essentially involved attacking your opponent to zero life. VS did have a good resource system though, certainly better than magic's archaic lands cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Petru5 wrote:
Not really. Sealed product is pretty much non-existent, and all people want to sell are lumps of commons. I remember selling my binder of like 750+ cards (rares and all) back in the day for a measly $30. I even remember the dude that bought it gushing over how awesome the cards were in a thank-you email he sent. One of my most maligned sell-offs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is EVE: The Second Genesis. Considering it was not very widely sold, a tie-in to a pretty niche online game and only survived a couple of years I'd say it definitely counts as overlooked...

The game had gorgeous cards, clever mechanics and very good multiplayer. I have very fond memories of some epic duels and late night marathons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you can call it overlooked, since it lasted a really long time, but my favorite CCG is Overpower. I suspect most of the hate on here is from people who only ever tried the basic game (which I agree is terrible), but the full version, with missions and venturing, is excellent. While deckbuilding is certainly a factor, I've found that player skill is a better predictor of victory than it is in other CCGs I've played, and I find the hand management system to be fairly unique and providing many tough decisions.

I guess the other big knock on it is that the theme isn't particularly well-integrated; each individual character's specials are appropriate, but if you wanted to make, say, an Avengers deck, it wouldn't necessarily synergise as well as 4 unconnected characters. That doesn't bother me at all, but I can see why many would prefer Vs. System for that reason. (Vs. is also a great game, though I do prefer Overpower.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My all time favorite and hands down best multiplayer CCG: On the Edge. Great flavor, good gameplay, and the only multiplayer game I can think of where a player who is totally wiped off the map can hang back, rebuild, and resurface to win.

Also - believe it or don't - WCW Nitro Trading Card Game was a really fun 2-player game with some pretty interesting deck-building mechanics. Kay Bee Toys was dumping decks of this for next-to-nothing years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Overpower and On the Edge were fun games. They both barely missed the cut for my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I've heard Vampire: TES is great too but haven't played it and it seems impossible to start now - there's no way to get enough cards to supply a whole group of new players.

http://www.potomacdist.com/list.asp?code=1640

Prices are buoyant at the moment as it's jut gone OOP again. soblue Impossible? No, not at all, not yet. A couple of starter boxes and an entire group will be set up for a long time.

There's a PDF download set planned for this year too.

It's a great game. Seriously immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people around here play Highlander: The Card Game. Anyone know if it's any good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:
A lot of people around here play Highlander: The Card Game. Anyone know if it's any good?
I hated it. The combat mechanic was an interesting idea that just did not really work (it was a boring guessing game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite was 'Middle Earth, The Wizards'. It was really different, and you didn't win necessarily by amassing hard to get cards or by trying to find 'tricks' to break the game. It had a lot of both strategic and tactical depth.

I thought the Babylon V game was very good, but it takes a lot of people to play it. If you can get all of the players, though, I thought it was very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say my all time favorite CCG was and is Warlord the Saga of the Storm. Unfortunately since AEG sold it I haven't been able to get any of the new cards. IMHO that is the BEST CCG!!!

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rights for warlord just recently reverted back to AEG, although that effectively means the game is dead as Pheonix Interactive will no longer be producing it. (AEG should seriously relaunch it as an LCG) You can find most if not all of the stuff that Pheonix Interactive to purchase at potomacdist (http://www.potomacdist.com/list.asp?code=1680)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks...I will check it out. I just love this game and miss the old community group I was in of about 15 people before it was sold. I agree that this should be revived from the dead as should HARRY POTTER...another great game.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(100% real name)
Israel
flag msg tools
mb
Voxen wrote:
I really enjoy the Free Realms TCG. Based on (and playable inside) an MMO aimed at 11-14 year olds, the theme is a bit silly, but the system is solid and the mechanics are clever and streamlined.

I really liked this one. It's pity it wasn't properly supported by Sony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:
topdeckgames wrote:
I wish I had someone to play Spycraft with. Great fun.

I looked into this game. I looks like a good one, and the cards were cheap, but I never got to play. Anyone want to buy some cards?
I would if I could afford it right now. I never got the chance to play it either, but Spycraft really impressed me back when I was picking up cards.

Anyway, on topic: either X-Files or Babylon 5. B5 needed 4 players to really get going, but for casual play it also had a kind of not quite RPG suggestion, where it tried to get players to roleplay their faction's actions. While a little odd at first, it did get to be stupidly fun.

X-Files was just a crying shame, though. It was built off a clue-like investigation mechanic, and enchoraged non-violent subversion of your opponent's agents. I'm not sure, but it got killed before it could find a market, and a lot of cards got dumped for pocket change about 12 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boom
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without a doubt for me it was Shadowfist and Doomtown. I spent an enormous amount of time deck building and playing these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piri kou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to mention Legend of the Burning Sands, with its water management system and the wonderfull flavor it had....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
theotherring wrote:
topdeckgames wrote:
I wish I had someone to play Spycraft with. Great fun.

I looked into this game. I looks like a good one, and the cards were cheap, but I never got to play. Anyone want to buy some cards?
I would if I could afford it right now. I never got the chance to play it either, but Spycraft really impressed me back when I was picking up cards.

Glad to see Spycraft: Collectible Card Game and City of Heroes CCG already mentioned. I don't have enough experience with other CCGs to recommend these above other CCGs, but I like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.