Subject: Third Play of Cyclades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one of Joe's session reports. Woohoo. Anyway, on Tuesday I played my third game of Cyclades and it took forEVER. This was for a couple reasons: First, I tend to get caught up in thought in auction games (as my friend never hesitated to point out) and second, we were playing with the owner of the shop who often had to leave to make sales and such and such. But I got that, it comes with the territory.

I played blue as I traditionally do. Honestly? Because the cover art is beautiful. It was a four player game. I started out in pretty good shape. I got Poseidon so I was able to build ships on either side of my island, placing them on the trade routes. Green got Ares and so he took the island that I would have otherwise taken, but I wasn't too worried about that. Two rounds later, red took Poseidon (which was now first) and built a ship from one of his islands to a small, one-hex island nearby, but he also built a ship next to my island with my temple on it (I'd gotten Zeus for cheap last round) and this threatened me. So I got the Kraken, sunk both his ships, and left the Kraken so that it was between him and the island that he wanted, making it WAY harder for him to get it. This got him really PO'd. I believed that him building a ship next to me was an act of aggression and that I had Cassus Belli. Or at least that's what I'll be telling myself when I'm eating Calimari.

This is where things got dicey for me. You know that island I stopped red from getting? Black took it. Then he built the Necropolis on it (as Hades came out two rounds after I sunk all red's ships with the Kraken). The same turn he sunk one of my trade fleets and put his own fleet there instead. My income was down to only five now. But I had two priests so I had a decent edge in the bidding. I got Poseidon, trashed black's fleet, and connected my island to the one with the Necropolis. The next turn Ares came out and, due to my discount, I was able to buy it and have six coins left over. I bought two more men and moved all three of my men from my home island to take the Necropolis. I won without taking a casualty (which gave me a gold ) He had placed a cornucopia on the island as well (in addition to its already significant income of two) so I was living large. Next turn I took Ares again because I wanted to build a harbor and didn't want my island invaded. I also happened to pick up (Icharus?) the guy who basically, when sacrificed, acts like Pegasus and lets your guys retreat instead of dying. And I put him on the Necropolis island (so that my guys could run away back to the mainland) and I placed my free troop on this island as well. That was all I had the money to do (bidding was intense). My income was pretty high now, at seven per turn, but typically altogether ten per turn because there was a lot of fighting going on so the Necropolis was generating a lot of revenue. Cornucopias kept stacking, and I just waited. Red had everything but a harbor built (which I, consequently, had). If only his island weren't defended by three men and a monster! Just my luck, he moved them away to conquer another island. And after he did that, someone destroyed one of his convoys so his men were stuck there! Icharus swooped in with all four men (I had fleets in the area so I was confident I could protect all of my defenseless islands, which I did, until the end of the game) and I took his island with its ridiculous five income and built a Metropolis there.

The next round, I got Athena and used the Pegasus to attack another player (because it was the only one I could really win against) just to take his home island and the income along with it. By now I'd lost the Necropolis (Because someone else built it), but I didn't care. I beat away green's one unit with no losses to myself and took his island for my own. I now had four islands and an absurd twelve income. But the only available Metropolis for me to take was in the frigging Isle of the Amazons! So I got two philosophers. Wouldn't you know it, Athena came out again next round. I had like twenty something gold (but so did green. He had more in fact) and basically made the case that the players should let me win because this was like my third bid for the win and this game had gone on too long. Plus I was going to win eventually anyway. They all went to Apollon. Green even commented "I could have stopped him, but it would have just been a delay. It was either Joe wins now or Joe wins at 12:30 am." It was way longer than my other Cyclades games, clocking in at about three and a half hours. But it was intriguing. And that's my session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, we've never had a game go over an hour and a half. Usually, if someone's dominating like you were, someone else is saving their money and going Athena for cheap - picking up two Philosophers.

This alone acts as a bit of a timer for the game and would force the lead player to attempt to block this action, thus giving up their dominance of Ares/Poseidon.

It looks like you grabbed Athena but didn't buy any philosopher's the first time despite having loads of money. That probably would have made the game go quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only took Athena two times in a row at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is always very slow. I don't think we ever finished a game of Cyclades in under 2h. Would you say the expansion made it take longer? I just got the expansion and still haven't played with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
landovers wrote:
My group is always very slow. I don't think we ever finished a game of Cyclades in under 2h. Would you say the expansion made it take longer? I just got the expansion and still haven't played with it.

Yes, yes, a million times yes. It made bidding longer. Whenever Hades came out, people kept knocking each either off of Poseidon/Ares and Hades and both would be up to like ten-ish before the fourth person even moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good thing, though, right? The bidding is the best part of the game. You can almost tell how good a game of Cyclades was by how high people are willing to give away to bid over others, heh! I'd be worried if the number of turns increased too much, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of turns also increased a lot. Nobody was building because they were all blowing their money on auctions. Before auctions rarely went above five except in special circumstances. In the last game they were rarely below seven and often above eight. People would spend their money and then when a guy ran out he'd go to Apollon, save up, get more and it continued in a cycle. I just got the most money. Nobody could afford buildings. Only one actual harbor was ever built throughout the game. People went on poseidon all the time but had no money left over after movement and buying another ship. It increased the number of turns AND the length of turns. We kind of agreed to not play with it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey good report man but you probably need to shift this over to the Hades expansion sessions page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Hey good report man but you probably need to shift this over to the Hades expansion sessions page.

Yeah you're right. I do not know how to do that. Do I request it... or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.