Owen Diamond
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Lord I wish I had never sold this game.

I had owned it since release, I had met a kid at the game store (while running a descent game) that really wanted it last year. And I sold it to him for $50 thinking "Surely if i need to pick it up again it will be easy. And I don't play it that often anymore anyway."

HAH! Jokes on me I guess. Going for $200 and up.

Why the hell doesn't FFG reprint this dang thing or get that second edition out the door again?

Bah guess that's what i get for giving a fellow gamer a deal.

Maybe Karma will swing my way again someday.

Moral of the story folks? Hold on to your games like they were made of gold.

Makes me thing of my copies of Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest that I basically destroyed and threw away as a kid. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, you did a good thing. Sometimes it's not about the money. That kid could grow up and be the next big game designer, or write a fantastic fantasy series that we all fall in love with. Perhaps he will just have fantastic stories to tell his kids when they are growing up. And isn't that what gaming is all about?

Besides, you weren't playing it anyway. meeple Have some gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do own too many games. My problem is I know what I like and so, when I buy a game, I'm rarely disappointed. This makes getting rid of games—even ones I've played only a few times—kind of tough to let go. Invariably, I'll read a session report where everyone had a great time with a game I finally sold away. And then I wish I had it back!

I'm getting better, though. I sold my ASL collection for far less than it was worth some 15 years ago. I just kept the orange box set. If I want a Squad Leader hit, it's right there. Other games that I enjoyed I replaced with something even better. Or if I really like a game, I'll buy a second copy and sell off the first when it goes OOP. The math never quite works out, but at least I can pretend to have my cake and eat it, too.

Descent is therefore one of those games that I know I'd regret selling. I have my beefs with it so that it doesn't get played often. But the times I've played have been great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess you're in luck with the 2nd edition, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Finley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
You're only a state over. If you find yourself in Albuquerque,New Mexico and wanna play Descent then toss me a message.

As much as I love the game (and I LOVE the game), there will always be something out there that more or less replaces it (lots of dungeon crawls on the market). You might have brought somebody into the hobby by selling it to that kid, so mad props.

I was lucky in that right when it was announced as going out of print I was able to snag the last 2 expansions i was missing from completing the collection (RtL and SoB). If I didn't pull that off I don't think I would keep the game, I'm just kinda OCD about expansions like that. Never have figured out why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Diamond
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boy I WISH I could go over to NM. With kids and a wife going down to the local game shop is difficult.

And yeah, Descent was one of those games that as we got older/had kids/married we played less and less, so I sold it to the kid. I suppose keeping it would have been selfish considering it had been collecting dust anyway.

Problem was when i started volunteering to run games at the local game shop for the younger kids i realized CRAP I didn't have any of my fun old games anymore. I would have loved to show them Heroquest, or Descent, or Necromunda, Cyberpunk etc etc..

On a separate note.. with Descent... yeah there are other dungeon crawlers out there but none of them have the detail and just pure good design that Descent has. I still own Doom and I absolutely love it.

If second edition of Descent comes out and they support it with expansions like the first I will probably pick it up, but damn is that box small compared to the original. Makes me wonder how cut down the game will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Avery
Australia
Mount Keira
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to us all
I got conned in the days before ebay via an email from a guy from wizards of the coast...he wanted my mint copy of DRAGON PASS....He said oh its only worth $10...but Ill give ya $20 !! I thought wow ok....now Im desperately searching weekly for a copy under $130 ...not inc postage hahahaha always happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilson wrote:
Sir, you did a good thing. Sometimes it's not about the money. That kid could grow up and be the next big game designer, or write a fantastic fantasy series that we all fall in love with. Perhaps he will just have fantastic stories to tell his kids when they are growing up.

or more likely, he has it on eBay for $200 and is thinking gleefully of his 'profit' on the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unabashedly selfish. Even if I don't play something, I'm not selling it or giving it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Oddzball wrote:

Why the hell doesn't FFG reprint this dang thing or get that second edition out the door again?

The whole reason first edition went OOP is because they're making a second edition. Granted it's taking longer than most of us had thought it would to get out on the shelves, but it is coming. Probably sometime this year. =P

miscalculation wrote:
I'm unabashedly selfish. Even if I don't play something, I'm not selling it or giving it away.

Maybe I'm just making excuses here, but I don't find the idea of keeping an old board game I rarely play anymore to be selfish. Sure, it may be years before I dust it off again, but someday I will. In fact, I just dusted off Last Night on Earth yesterday and we had a ball remembering how it worked. (I mean that quite literally, by the way; there was a good inch of dust on top of the box. =P)

To me, keeping old games is the same as keeping books you've already read or movies you've seen before. You've already experienced it, the story won't change, so why bother keeping it? I keep them for the memories, and because after a few years I will have forgotten the finer details and I can watch/read them again to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.