Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This afternoon I downloaded the play-test materials and gave the game a spin, solo. I was very impressed. The rules are straightforward enough, and the game play is fast and clean. Even playing both sides and making some references to the rules, it took me less than 90 minutes, which leads me to believe that the game is quite suitable for tournament play. I find that the use of action cards rather than dice adds a welcome element of suspense as well a level of tactical depth I haven't found in Heroclix, Star Wars or earlier versions of D&D Minis. Each activation provides a good variety of choices ,but you can't simply "math out" the best moves. A very elegant design - truly something new and different, and with seemingly infinite room for expansion.

The action decks give the two factions noticeably different strengths. The game see-sawed back and forth with the Heroes of Cormyr taking an early lead, but the sneaky, sneaky Drow fought back for the win. (Would love to go into more detail, but don't want to violate the NDA). There was an element of luck, and I can see that bluffing at the right time could also be important, but I found that skill is still the deciding factor.

I will snap up both starter sets in a heartbeat, and eagerly await further releases. This is one I plan to support to the fullest!

P.S. Thanks, Lordhellfury, for providing the link to the play-test rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've had a good play of this too, using D&d system tiles was an odd mix of magic and minis, but it worked, it quick too, nice purchase for minis and D&D tiles too its on my wish list as very likely contender,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.