Subject: Wargame Noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ammon Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I need your help out there! I have been a euro/ameritrash gamer for years and enjoy just about any game you put in front of me. Recently my awesome wife bought me Twilight Struggle and we both fell in love with it instantly!

So here is my question...

What is the next step? What would be a good wargame for us to try? Is there an awesome 'first' wargame that is a must own? (Sorry, that's more than one question!)

We both love history in general but my favorite would have to be more recent (WWI, WWII, etc.), so that isn't an issue. We are also OK with a reasonable amount of depth. I certainly don't want to get in over my head and struggle to grasp new concepts but I do very thorough research and love reading rules so I'm sure I could figure it out! Also, we like all different mechanics: dice, cards, the works!

I want to learn what this whole wargame thing is about, it sounds like it's right up my alley !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
While if the REVAMP for Fortress America was available "Like" it ought to have BEEN by now, then I'd suggest THAT, so, until then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
Hang around and see what wargamers are talking about: Click me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to a fascinating segment of the board game hobby!

Napoleon at Waterloo is a good introduction to traditional hex-and-counter wargames. It is available free on the internet.

Battle for Germany is a good introductory game with a WWII theme.

Block games with cards are fun. Julius Caesar is often recommended as a starting point.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this list of Starter Wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a first WWII game, I'd recommend Tank on Tank. It's a simple game with low counter density, and plays quickly but it has some nice mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you guys for your help, I will be checking your suggestions out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wajda
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44?

Don't know if that counts as a 'real' wargame, but alot of people enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played Memoir '44 many times and really enjoy it! I'm looking for something...I don't know...meatier...something that is typical of 'wargames'. Maybe Memoir '44 is typical of wargames, and in that case my question is 'What is the next step?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
AudreyLivi wrote:
I've played Memoir '44 many times and really enjoy it! I'm looking for something...I don't know...meatier...something that is typical of 'wargames'. Maybe Memoir '44 is typical of wargames, and in that case my question is 'What is the next step?'

I'd go with one of Pete Belli's suggestions above. (Unless you want something much more complex.) Those are great wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already played Twilight Struggle? That's more complex than some of the starter games mentioned. Then again, it's possibly not a war-game.

You could try something like No Retreat! The Russian Front, which is still fairly broad in scope but more wargamish than TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Audere est facere
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue.

I'm so sorry. I couldn't help myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle was also my first foray into wargames. The two other games that I instantly loved as well were Paths of Glory and Here I Stand. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Douglas
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Battle for Moscow, from the GDW folks as of 1986. It used to be free, but not any more. You can still find it pretty reasonably on line. I really like air games myself, but Buffalo Wings, from JD Webster, is kind of a challenge for a new gamer. If you're up to it, then go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
Case Blue.

I'm so sorry. I couldn't help myself.

And if that's just too small, size-wise, and too short, time-wise, there's always: Unentschieden, Drang Nach Osten, War in the East, Scorched Earth (? GDW wargame on the Eastern Front), North African Campaign, and War in the Pacific. Feel proud of your masochismo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You guys are the best!! Thank you for all your suggestions! I certainly have my research cut out for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.