Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a situation last night where I moved a single unit into a shielded area with many enemy forces in hopes to blow up the shield there with Graviton Negator. During the ensuing suicide run/battle his chosen defense was Tactical Retreat. His take on it was that the card's effect "reclaim their chosen strategy cards without effect" would cancel Graviton Negator. My take on it is that Graviton Negator was played and resolved at the beginning of the Battle Phase and is not a "chosen card". I can see his reasoning, as the reference card just says Tactical Retreat "cancels battle and strategy cards", which can mean two things depending on how you read it.

I'm fairly certain I'm right here, but this IS FFG. What say you, masses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Graviton Negator is played at the beginning of the Battle Phase, before any Battles are fought or resolved. The shield is gone, the card is discarded, it's done.

Tactical Retreat only affects cards played during the actual BATTLE in which it is resolved, not the entire battle phase. So it won't affect Graviton Negator.

Note that in the rulebook (page 21), it says "all other committed Strategy Cards have no effect". Committing strategy cards applies specifically to choosing and playing cards during the resolution of a given battle (as is demonstrated by cards like the Energy Rifle saying "commit during battle"). The Graviton Negator is not "committed" - it is just simply played at the beginning of the battle phase (not at the beginning of any specific battle, either). Perhaps a minor distinction between commit and play, but it makes a big difference in terms of the Tactical Retreat's intent.

By your opponent's logic, everyone who played a Strategy Card during the entire battle phase, in ANY battle ANYWHERE would be affected and would get their cards back, potentially changing the outcome of the battles since the cards would have "no effect" which could mean leaders weren't killed, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maltuvion wrote:
I got an additional question regarding tactical retreat specifically (hope it's okay I use this thread rather than pop up an entirely new one just for one question).

Can Tactical Retreat be used offensively? Hypothetical scenario: I got 4 units in a space. Opponent has 15. I commit one and my weakest leader, he commits 8 + random leader. I then pop Tactical Retreat, which, if memory serves, says all cards and units are returned to reinforcements. He would get far more sent to reinforcements than I would. Would "second battle" then commence, this time with me having 3 units and him having 7?

Only the player who played Tactical Retreat returns his units to his reinforcements. The other player stays in the space. It says this on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Neverfade wrote:

I'm fairly certain I'm right here, but this IS FFG. What say you, masses?

I agree with Sigma. Tactical Retreat only cancels those cards played as part of your battle plan in one specific battle. Graviton Negator is not one of those, it is played before any battles are resolved at the start of the Battle Round.

In theory, if the bombardment had been above this particular stronghold at the time, all forces would have been been wiped out as soon as the shield fell, before the battle even happened.

Maltuvion wrote:

Can Tactical Retreat be used offensively? Hypothetical scenario: I got 4 units in a space. Opponent has 15. I commit one and my weakest leader, he commits 8 + random leader. I then pop Tactical Retreat, which, if memory serves, says all cards and units are returned to reinforcements. He would get far more sent to reinforcements than I would. Would "second battle" then commence, this time with me having 3 units and him having 7?

[Aside]: What happened here? Did Maltuvion delete his post or something? No need to be ashamed of silly questions, my friend, we all ask them from time to time.

In answer, as Bleached pointed out, only the one player actually retreats his units (unless they both played a Tactical Retreat, of course.) Also, the retreating player takes back ALL of his units in the space, not just those dialed, so there will definitely not be a second battle - not between the same two players anyway. There may, of course, be a third party in the space waiting his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
I deleted it since it was slightly off-topic and I didn't want it to potentially derail the thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:
In theory, if the bombardment had been above this particular stronghold at the time, all forces would have been been wiped out as soon as the shield fell, before the battle even happened.

In practice, you can't move into a space that's under bombardment, so you could never sneak a unit in to destroy a shield to blow up another player's units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grummzaire wrote:
Quote:

In practice, you can't move into a space that's under bombardment, so you could never sneak a unit in to destroy a shield to blow up another player's units.

Unless you're the xxcha and snuk them in in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.