Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR MERCURY

GT -1.

WEST: paratroopers land and 4 units flip, so high attrition but they capture Maleme airfield. OST: paratroopers land and flip 2 units, no attacks. MITTE: paratroopers land no flips and no attacks.

In phase 'D' the Germans make a concerted attack in the west at Vinyard Ridge. 4:1 attack, 1 left for mountain defence, 1 left for New Zealand artillery support and +1 on the die for Sussmann attacking. Result is a 1/2 which eliminates the defenders and opens up an area of supply for the Germans (I forgot to roll for Sussman’s demise - needed a six).

In their parts of the turn, the Allies bring on the two Greek Irregular units at Sphakia and Kastelli and place the 4 naval counters in the supply box. In Phase ‘D’ the Allies are released for movement and they set up a strong defence in the west along 0906/0807/0707 but the mountains mean only 4 strength points have been able to make it into 0707. The Greeks take positions at 0802 and 0704 to protect the supply route to Palaiokhora. 1/ASH moves to 0315 to become a reserve.

19th Australians move into Rethymnon and 5th Greeks move to the airfield in 0714, this re-balancing of forces between these two hexes in that area is to help defend against the sudden death situation that will ensue if Rethymnon is captured by the Germans (as they already control Maleme).

GT - 2

German reinforcement CB/A paratroopers land at 0613 (Mitte) to threaten Rethymnon. 2 x Mountain units go to the WEST box and 1 x mountain goes to the MITTE box.

Germans spend an impulse to put the air unit into ground attack mode. The Allies anticipate the German attention in the Mitte zone, so 1/ASH moves down to 0513 and all Allies in that area attack the Germans in 0613. 11 Vs 5 = 2:1, 1 left for mountain defence, 1 right for armour in the attack (forget to add in the Allied artillery), both sides out of supply so -1 dr for the attacker but also the allies are sadly attacking with 3 nationalities so suffer an additional -2 dr for co-ordination problems. Result 1/0 (1 loss to attacker, none to defender) .... Oh dear! And two Allied stacks cannot retreat, so an addition loss is suffered. The Allies have hurt themselves in this attack.

The Germans counter attack against the airfield (Mitte), getting their air support but not able to use artillery because they are not in supply. The result is 2/2 which eliminates the British 7RTR/B and allows the Germans to capture the airfield. This is pretty disasterous as it now puts the Germans in supply and gives them somewhere to transport their reinforcements into the Mitte area.

The Allies respond by pulling the Australian Cremor unit out of the western positions and they move along the coastal road towards Rethymnon. German Mountain troops (reinforcements) land at the airfield (Mitte) but take a hit along the way.

The German attack Rethymnon, the 19th Australians take 2 hits but hang on by the skin of their teeth. Cremor arrives just in time to bolster the Rethymnon defences. The Germans assault again and score a 2/2. this is really becoming attritional but the Germans have more strength steps to play with. The two Australian units can only take 1 more hit each and then they are out.

GT - 3

German reinforcements move to the Mitte box - I think the writing is on the wall for the Allies. The Germans move to fully isolate Rethymnon from being reinforced and attack. They roll a six and get an 0/2 result. That takes out both defending Allied units and the game immediately halts in a German auto victory.

Wow - tough one for the Allies and perhaps a need to 'learn' how better to handle the allies. I have had two German early wins in two games so far.

Some things that I took from this game were;

Think about where Freyman is best used, as he co-ordinates different nationalities to remove the associated penalty.

Either fight back hard in the west or accept the position is lost and start to fall back and release troops to go and help in the Mitte area.

Once the German get a stranglehold on the Mitte area, there is little that the Allies can do as back up will likely be too far away and they will almost certainly be cut off from supply from the word go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:
AAR MERCURY

Once the German get a stranglehold on the Mitte area, there is little that the Allies can do as back up will likely be too far away and they will almost certainly be cut off from supply from the word go.

Wasn't that also the historical dilemma/result?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't know enough about the campaign to say - but i had the impression that this was a tight battle for the Germans, that the landings at both Mitte and Ost were under-strength compared to the (surprise) number of defenders and as a consequence these were not the critical areas in terms of defeating the allies locally there.

capturing an airfield seemed the single most important factor and since Maleme offered a realistic prospect of capture, the west became the area where the battle would be lost or won.

I thought my game ended too early on GT - 3, but I think it needs playing a few times more and with more thoughtful use of the allies as to how best to deny the 'white star' (read sudden death) victory areas to the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Lai
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Tsing Yi
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, Norman:

I want to raise some queries for you GT-1 moves.

1. I wonder whether you've missed one die roll modifier. Since your concert attack (4:1) against the NZ Brigade involve some unsupplied units (the airborne battalions just south of the NZ Brigade at Vinyard Ridge), you have to add a -1 modifier (thus change the result of your first German attack).

For me, I would attack the Greek Regiment in the south of Maleme airfield. With a high combat odd, the Greek Regiment will certainly be eliminated and the airborne battalions can advance after combat to the vacated hex and open up the supply line. They can then use another impulse to attack the NZ Brigade without suffering the -1 DRM for involving unsuppled units in the attack.

2. Do you have to wait until Impulse D to attack? I read the clarification for Market Garden and find that the airborne can attack at the same turn when they land. Therefore, you can make this attack in Impulse A. Of course, this clarification is for MG. I'm not sure whether this is also applicable to Mercury. Perhaps Michael can clarify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Frederick

It is more than likely that I did miss the modifier that you mention. I am going to have another go this weekend. I played as though the paratroopers could attack on the turn that they arrive from their dropping position and advance if successful.

[edited for typo].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.