Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: stone monopoly in two player short game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone experienced stone monopoly in a two player game ? I had both buildings that produce stone in the two player short game, and my opponent never got any stone the whole game. I was always with all my laymen on buildings or had taken the stone myself. This maide it possible for me to win by 100 points. It seems broken in this way, especially the short game when there are fewer buildings that give flexibility like the priory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It seems to me your opponent just played poorly. I don't really know what buildings are left out in the two player game, so I can't comment definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geirinn wrote:
Has anyone experienced stone monopoly in a two player game ? I had both buildings that produce stone in the two player short game, and my opponent never got any stone the whole game. I was always with all my laymen on buildings or had taken the stone myself. This maide it possible for me to win by 100 points.

This doesn't seem possible. At some point, you're going to get your 3 guys back when it's his turn to place.

Since the game just alternates turns, you'd literally have to spend the entire game never putting your 3rd guy on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when I had free laymen, either there was little or no stone, or it was already occupied. Or all my laymen were in buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geirinn wrote:
when I had free laymen, either there was little or no stone, or it was already occupied. Or all my laymen were in buildings.

What about the joker?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geirinn wrote:

It doesn't matter if the laymen are in buildings. If your prior is the only guy free, your opponent can still hire him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the joker was also used alot and the when I said Laymen I meant all of the clergymen, I confused laymen with clergymen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
I SEE YOU!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent can always get at least 2 stone. If he does not want to take them, he can, of course, leave you with 3 stone. On your turn, you can take them, but if you do not, he gets 4, and so on. There is no way that on your opponent's turn you don't have any free clergymen. Remember, when turning the wheel, all of your clergymen come back if all of them were placed.

You play the game wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arent you onlu supposed to return your clergymen at the start of your ''turn'' in the 2 player game. And at the start of a ''round'' in a 3-4 player game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went throught the rules and I see that ive mixed up the two player long game and short game for like the third time. I'd be lying if I said this rulebook explained the little diffirences between game modes well....Hope this will be the last time I mix it up. I'll be reading the rules again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when is the rematch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asgeir Jonsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asap. I might get drunk tonight though. I'll be in touch !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You play the game wrong.

Yes but don't forget to add 'You play game with confusing rules'. NEVER have I had so much trouble trying to understand how the heck to play a game with two player rules exceptions, it really isn't clear at all and one look through the threads here shows the huge potential for mistakes and the variety of errors and misunderstandings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
I SEE YOU!
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
Quote:
You play the game wrong.

Yes but don't forget to add 'You play game with confusing rules'. NEVER have I had so much trouble trying to understand how the heck to play a game with two player rules exceptions, it really isn't clear at all and one look through the threads here shows the huge potential for mistakes and the variety of errors and misunderstandings.

No offense was intended. I am sorry if I sounded like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh no, no offence taken! If anything kudos to all the work you're putting in on so many of these threads, clearing up player questions!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.