1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Carcassonne was my first game, looking to buy another one rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
Hi,

I just started playing board games with my cousins and have grown fond of carcassone. We were looking to invest in another game. I have got my eyes on puerto rico, 7 wonders, dominion, settlers of catan and pandemic. I would be playing these games with a 15 year old, a 14 year old and an 18 year old. If you recommend 7 wonders, what makes it better than dominion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Carcassonne, I got Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend Puerto Rico just yet. It is much more deep and complex than carcassonne, so it may not be right for your group.
I recommend 7 wonders more than dominion. It is fast to play, involves much less shuffling, and is more of a game than a mechanic, plays well with multiple people, and is more straightforward IMO.
I agree with the above poster in recommending Settlers of Catan. It is a straightforward game, and its expansions add a lot of content. Similar type of competitiveness within.
Pandemmic is a co-operative game (though you have probably realized this). Thus, it really depends on your cousins and whether they like co-operative games, so it is difficult to give a recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and Catan are both good next steps.

I will add Dominion is also a good game to get early. The basic mechanics are dead simple and I've seen people who don't game pick it up within a few minutes. Dominion has one of the cleanest, most refined card game designs.

7 Wonders, by contrast, has a technology tree which can particularly make new or inexperienced players feel helpless when planning out turns. With Dominion everything that could happen is already in front of you at the start of the game.

Puerto Rico is a great game, but it is much heavier than the other choices. I'm not sure I'd dive in just yet.

Pandemic is a coop game which are hit or miss with some people. It can be a good first coop to see if those games work for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride, Settlers, and Pandemic are good games. I would strongly recommend Stone Age. It is a great intro to worker placement games. Munchkin (card game) is a lot of fun, but it can get to be expensive if you get into it. I also really like Revolution! from Steve Jackson games. Any of these games would be a great start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:
Hi,

I just started playing board games with my cousins and have grown fond of carcassone. We were looking to invest in another game. I have got my eyes on puerto rico, 7 wonders, dominion, settlers of catan and pandemic. I would be playing these games with a 15 year old, a 14 year old and an 18 year old. If you recommend 7 wonders, what makes it better than dominion?

Honestly, go with what interest you and your group the most. A lot of people like to recommend very simply games, with the belief that most "new" gamers have an attention span of a goldfish. But there is a reason why Fantasy Flight games is able to sell "complex" games to a bunch of middle-school kids... it is because the theme interest them and when people are engaged, they are more than capable of learning.

Dominion has an incredibly amount of variability, plays quickly, and is easy to learn. Not to mention, you can add and remove direct player interaction (AKA... attacking other players) depending on the likes and dislikes of the players. This game generally does very well with most people. You would want sleeves for this game (A LOT of shuffling).

Settlers of Catan is a game you can teach in 10-minutes with mechanism that simply are intuitive. Essentially, it is a resource-management, area-control, and trading game. Just realize that this game does become cut-throat (Players can screw with, pick on, and limit other player's ability to expand) and sometimes players can feel "stuck" in the game with bad dice rolls or a poor start.

Pandemic is a fun cooperative game... but does have some issues. For one, it being a cooperative game means you need to watch-out for someone with an dominant personality who simply wants to tell everyone what to do. Secondly, the game becomes frustrating after a few plays because you realize how much luck impacts your ability to win the game. This is a game I like to play every once and a while and not several-times in a row.

The big appeal of 7-wonders is how fast it plays and that it handles numerous players quite well. But, it is also a game that provides quite a brain-burner and rewards who-ever is paying the most attention. The first couple games, you will be trying to see what benefits you the most... but as you play the game more and more... you will start looking at your opponent's player-section to see which cards help him the most and calculating whether you should take those cards. Good amount of replayability in this game.

While I own Peurto Rico, I haven't played it. My biggest concern would it being too dry for new players... but again, haven't played it.

I would avoid ticket to ride. I still don't get the appeal of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with:

Catan
Ticket to Ride

these and Carcassonne are the Holy Trinity of gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say think about Small world, a simple game mechanic and one that your age group will really like.

Dominion is good, but you might also look at thunderstone as you can attack monsters AND each other.

Cooperative games, if you are thinking about pandemic you might also think about forbidden island.

Quarriors is also a great game for people starting out as they start to learn how to build. Quarriors is a dice building game, plays very fast and is a great way to learn the very basics of deck building mechanics.

good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I agree with:

Catan
Ticket to Ride

these and Carcassonne are the Holy Trinity of gateway games.

+1 on both

Of the games you have listed I would get Dominion before 7 Wonders. I find it more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen
United Kingdom
Jarrow
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
I'd definitely go with Catan or Dominion next. Carcassone was my first game and I followed it up with Catan. No regrets; it's a step up without being overwhelming and it's different without being completely foreign. Dominion is as easy to learn, is more replayable and is quicker. I'd say buying both games should be your priority, the order really doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider also

Airlines Europe - I think this is one step up from Ticket to Ride but without much more added complexity (by the same designer too).

Lords of Waterdeep - A new game that combines the essence of a true Eurogame with a D&D theme. How can teen boys resist?

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - The new Stronghold Games version is a great screwage game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with any of your suggestions, so I'll just add my two cents:

Pandemic---just to mix things up, this is a fun cooperative game, meaning that you all play together to beat the game, so to speak. Pandemic is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, our 15 and 13 year olds LOVE 7 Wonders and will actually ask to play it from time to time (a small miracle in itself), but they have absolutely no interest in Dominion. The goals of 7 Wonders are much more concrete, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster. I also think that it is easier to grasp 7 wonders and how it works, but that's just my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
Thank you guys very much for the suggestions! I was interested in dominion but the majority of the reviews I have read say that playing with any more than 3 people becomes stale (I would be playing with 4). I have played settlers before and believe that my cousins would love a game like that. So I think I have now upped my purchase to two games (oh god no...this is how it all begins!). So it would be settlers and something else. What should that something else be ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite new to board gaming, but shouldn't the next step after a gateway game not be another gateway game? (i.e. Ticket to Ride, Settlers)
This way you can ease your way into more complicated games.

Also, a website like boardgamearena.com can be helpful for determining what game to get. You can play Dominion there to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Rohs
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Most, if not all of these games are available online and/or on iOS devices. I would recommend trying before buying. Additionally,I use unboxing and review videos available here and on YouTube to help decide what my next game should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Rohs
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
edelen wrote:
Consider also

Airlines Europe - I think this is one step up from Ticket to Ride but without much more added complexity (by the same designer too).

Lords of Waterdeep - A new game that combines the essence of a true Eurogame with a D&D theme. How can teen boys resist?

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - The new Stronghold Games version is a great screwage game.

Screwage? Sounds rape-y. Will it rape you literally or figuratively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for:

Ticket to Ride
Stone Age
Bohnanza
Alhambra

Alongside Settlers. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Alhambra is another tile laying game though, so for variety's sake I would probably go with one of the others. Stone Age is definately the prettiest of these here though if that is a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan should definitely be your next purchase. Playing this game with your three cousins will be perfect. In my opinion, all the gateway talk is silly. Catan is a great game, no labels needed, that you will play many times, even after you buy other "heavier" games. Everyone here has played and probably owned Catan.

Stone Age is a lot of fun and also plays great with four people. I would keep that on your list for after Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely Ticket to Ride / Ticket to Ride: Europe

I went from Carcassonne to TtR:Europe and became addicted to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a large pile of games at home, and I still end up playing Settlers or Stone Age more than most of them.

My recommendation would be to try those out. I think Dominion is boring, and I've played it with many different expansions. I like boards and building things.

Your group may also really enjoy Risk Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leach
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
I'll vote for:

Ticket to Ride
Stone Age
Bohnanza
Alhambra

Alongside Settlers. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Alhambra is another tile laying game though, so for variety's sake I would probably go with one of the others. Stone Age is definately the prettiest of these here though if that is a factor.

Good suggestions all. Frankly, I'd skip Settlers, it is the original gateway, but has aged, and there is more fun out there.

If you go for TTR, pick TTR Europe, as more of a game.
Small World also worth a look for silly fun.
And if you want to broaden your horizons into the wider possibilities of gaming, maybe Dixit, The Climbers or Pitchcar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alan581 wrote:
Ticket to Ride and Catan are both good next steps.

I will add Dominion is also a good game to get early. The basic mechanics are dead simple and I've seen people who don't game pick it up within a few minutes. Dominion has one of the cleanest, most refined card game designs.

7 Wonders, by contrast, has a technology tree which can particularly make new or inexperienced players feel helpless when planning out turns. With Dominion everything that could happen is already in front of you at the start of the game.

Puerto Rico is a great game, but it is much heavier than the other choices. I'm not sure I'd dive in just yet.

Pandemic is a coop game which are hit or miss with some people. It can be a good first coop to see if those games work for your group.

I second Catan and Ticket to Ride. I would also recommend giving the expansions for Carcassonne a go. If you are fond of the tilelaying experience, then try out Alhambra or New York. Another funner game with hex tile laying may be Neuroshima Hex, but that may be heavy for your other players. Another recommendation is Diceland.

I agree about Puerto Rico as well...don't jump the shark yet my friend.

Last but not least, try out Quarriors. It is similiar to Dominion (in it's "deckbuilding" properties), but with Dice. I know many teens (my younger brothers and their friends) who rather enjoy it. Let us know what you decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.