Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:
Thank you guys very much for the suggestions! I was interested in dominion but the majority of the reviews I have read say that playing with any more than 3 people becomes stale (I would be playing with 4). I have played settlers before and believe that my cousins would love a game like that. So I think I have now upped my purchase to two games (oh god no...this is how it all begins!). So it would be settlers and something else. What should that something else be ?

Ticket to Ride: Europe or Quarriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
It seems like 7 wonders would be fun with this group, so should I go with ticket to ride:europe + 7 wonders or 7 wonders + settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Spangler
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wanted to second the recommendation of getting some Carcassonne expansions in addition to some new games - they really add a lot to the game, and once you have a few you can mix and match your favorites. We use Traders and Builders, Inns and Cathedrals, and the King and Scout the most.

But beware...this is how our giant game closet started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by the fact that you liked carcassonne, I'd say that +settlers would be best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 7 wonders is definitely a great game for your group. It scales very well with 4 people because everyone takes their turn at the same time, which helps eliminate downtime.

I see a lot of "gateway" games being recommended here, which is not a bad way to go, but I'll throw out a (bit of a) curveball: Agricola.

It is a heavier game with more rules, but the family version is very friendly to new players. My parents picked it up very quickly, having only played Settlers. I think it has very good value because once you get the hang of the family version, you can add the cards, which make it more complex and add more strategy. As such, I view it as a medium game that is also a gateway into more complex games.

The theme (farming!) seems lame at first, but it is actually very fun and the sense of having built your own farm appeals to a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
Richmond
SURREY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 Agricola. It is:
- easier to learn than Stone Age and has a more intuitive play/theme
- has a family version and expert version included in the box, which means it's easy to tailor to your playgroup
- has several great expansions if you decide you really like it
- has an funnish theme, I.e. building the best farm, and cartoon graphics

-1 Stone Age. It is very 'mathy' - you have to do lots of (simple) mental arithmetic when playing. There isn't a choice of rules, and the theme isn't very intuitive, which can make it confusing and hard to understand.

Given you enjoyed Carcassonne, you might want to look at Tigris and Euphrates. You lay tiles like Carcassonne and build cities, but then you invade your opponents' cities and stir revolt among their peasantry! Great fun. Has pretty simple rules, but lots of replayability.

Personally, though, I'd look at the BGG Top 100, read some reviews of stuff you like the look of, look at some play videos, and check game length/weight. If you think your group can tackle a four-hour game with 50 pages of rules, go for it! Don't stick to the so-called "gateway" games being recommended here unless you want too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some further thoughts:

1. The age range of your fellow players is 14-18 years, their sex male. Consider games that would appeal to the age and sex of the players. Too many of the games being recommended have themes that might be dry for that age and sex. I had mentioned Lords of Waterdeep (D&D adventure in a Eurogame) before as a good option. Nefarious (mad scientists) and King of Tokyo (giant monsters attacking Tokyo) would also be good choices.

2. Instead of just taking the advice of us geeks, locate your friendly, local game store (FLGS) and see if they have a board game night. Go, play some games, try out what they have, try out the games you are thinking of purchasing, and meet some new people. You might find that some of the games you are considering aren't as much fun as you thought they might be. Or you might find that a game off your radar suddenly is pretty cool. It's win-win all around.

3. Puerto Rico has not been getting much love, but it is not the overwhelming heavyweight that people are making it out to be. If you played it at your FLGS or in a game group somewhere, you might find it is simpler to play than you might imagine. Having someone teach you makes all the difference, and it may be the difference between loving the game and hating it because you could not wade through the rules well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
After looking around quite a bit, it seems like 7 wonders tends to get quite shallow and stale after repetitive play throughs and ticket to ride just seems like a lighter version of settlers. Im really interested in 7 wonders but can anyone comment on the strategy and replayability of the game? I love the suggestions you guys are giving me and would love more. Would agicola appeal to my group? Also, whats the strategy like in stone age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride is totally different than settlers. Though they both involve road placement, ticket to ride is about how to get to certain places, settlers is about resource management.

Seven Wonders can get stale after a while. That's not to say it doesn't have replay value. The key point is that 7 wonders is not so much about strategy as it is about tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Stone Age. It's a gateway game that is also widely loved by experienced gamers. Scales well from 2-4. Plus, it's just beautiful.

Get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Ticket to ride is totally different than settlers. Though they both involve road placement, ticket to ride is about how to get to certain places, settlers is about resource management.

Seven Wonders can get stale after a while. That's not to say it doesn't have replay value. The key point is that 7 wonders is not so much about strategy as it is about tactics.

Sorry for my noobness but what are the differences between strategy and tactics?

Also, im sorry I keep dragging this thread on but if I'm going to be spending a hundred bucks on board games, I'd like to choose the best. So I have settlers as a for sure purchase. After reading reviews, ticket to ride seems like it may be a little too light on the strategy/tactics for the group. So right now, the group is deciding between stone age and 7 wonders. Which would you recommend getting first. It seems everyone seems to be split. I was just interested in everyones reasoning behind their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy involves foresight, planning. Tactics involves doing the best with what you are given, and thus ultimate play, some foresight, but not much planning. Strategy is long-term. Tactics is short term.
especially in larger groups, it is difficult to plan in 7 wonders. However, one can still make an optimal decision based on what one is drawn, and consider what card will be best for you and worse for opponents.
Of course, 7 wonders does involve some strategizing, as in what kind of empire to build, but it has much more tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
Thank you for clarifying that for me!

So does anyone have any thoughts on power grid vs stone age vs 7 wonders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
Richmond
SURREY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on, hang on! Most of these recommendations are general suggestions given to people new to gaming. They may not suit you! For example, I love Carcassonne but hate Stone Age.

Only you know your gaming group. Before buying anything, I'd ask what your cousins like about Carcassonne. For example,

1. Do they like laying tiles in Carcassonne? If so, they might like a harder tile-placing game like Alhambra. Tigris & Euphrates is a tile-placing wargame.

2. Do they like placing the workers onto the tiles? Both Agricola and Stone Age are so-called worker placement games. For example, in Agricola, the whole game is deciding where on a board to place your workers to get the food/building materials you need to build your farm. You can try out Stone Age for free online here (http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamelist)

3. Do they like competing with each other? Agricola and Stone Age don't feel like the world's most competitive games. You can block people from getting the resources they want, but that's it. If your cousins are very competitive, they might enjoy Small World. Small World is a world conquest game with fantasy cartoon graphics. If Catapult Amazons firing catapults at Merchant Elves sounds cool, it might be for your group. Shortish wargames include Nexus Ops.

4. Do they like thinking about each move in Carcassonne? Do they also like games like chess? If so, some of the suggestions here might seem a bit simple. If they like fantasy battles and chess, you could try Dungeon Twister 2. Power Grid is also pretty 'thinky' from what I understand. Maybe someone could explain how Powergrid feels to play compared to 7 Wonders?

5. Do they like helping each other out during a game of Carcassonne? Maybe suggesting moves to each other? If so, they might like a cooperative game like Pandemic. Forbidden Island is a simpler version of Pandemic where you team up to get treasures off a desert island before it floods. In Flash Point: Fire Rescue, you play fire fighters.

6. Do they dislike how Carcassonne is based on the luck of the tile draw? Would they prefer a game where winning is purely about skill? Bear in mind that the Board Game Geek rankings are skewed towards so-called 'eurogames', which minimise luck. These games can be quite dry and maths heavy, which may put off your cousins. For example, Puerto Rico - No. 2 in the rankings - is a game about shipping and trading corn. You need to calculate how much money you and the other players would get trading the corn. There's a lot of skill involved and I enjoy Puerto Rico but, when I was a 15-year-old tomboy, I just wanted to shoot stuff. People recommend Stone Age because it's a simpler version of something like Puerto Rico.

Sorry that I can't comment on 7 Wonders. I don't know this game very well. I own all the games I've mentioned except Nexus Ops, Dungeon Twister and Power Grid. They are all very good (except Stone Age, which I'm going to sell), but they are very different and won't suit everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:
Thank you for clarifying that for me!

These are significantly different games, in every way. A game collection would be well-served by owning all three. Or not. It depends on what you like to play (see my previous note on trying out games at your local FLGS or board game group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:

Honestly, go with what interest you and your group the most. A lot of people like to recommend very simply games, with the belief that most "new" gamers have an attention span of a goldfish. But there is a reason why Fantasy Flight games is able to sell "complex" games to a bunch of middle-school kids... it is because the theme interest them and when people are engaged, they are more than capable of learning.

This!
Browse around here, look at pictures, read some reviews, or watch some videos, and get the game you are interested in.

From the suggestions you wrote, I would go for Settlers of Catan.

Or 7 Wonders - plays very good with that amoount of player, but keep in mind its a card game - its doesnt look as cool as Settlers does.

Puerto Rico is a very good game - if you are interested in it why not? Yes its much more complicated and deeper than the other games. My suggestion: Read some reviews or watch some videos about it, and if you like it, get it!

Dont get Dominion, bacause with 4 player it realy drags...

EDIT: Ok I answered before I read you last comment.

As someone before said: Keep in mind that you only get "gateway-games" as suggestions. And this is well....you play with teenager. Dont they want dragons, shooting, pirating ...?
How many games do you gonna buy? If you buy more than one I would highly recommend to get one gateway game( you already said it will be Settlers) and one "other" game.
What about a game from Fantasy Flight Games? --> Normally they are full of stuff, very very thematic and arent that dry.
Look at some pictures from the game Arkham Horror - would you want to try a game like this?
I just want to point out again, that a new boardgame player doesnt have to start with "euroish - gateway games"

So again, if you buy more games, dont buy only gateway/eurogames!
Or what about a negotiation game?
Or a game with lots of dice? (e.g. Quarriors!)
Or something complete different e. g. Space Alert

EDIT 2: Dont get Power Grid - Its very dry and mathy, dont get me wrong, that doesnt mean it isnt fun, but in my oppinion its not the best game for a group of teenagers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Marsch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders would be a great next step. Though you should check out masons as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
Richmond
SURREY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your cousins are into pirates, you could also look at Merchants and Marauders. It's apparently the ultimate pirate-themed board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
+1 Arkham Horror. It lasts for several hours, but it's so cool! I got into gaming by playing Magic the Gathering, and Arkham Horror was the first game I bought after that!

Arkham Horror is a game where you work together to fight tentacled horrors and close portals to other dimensions. It has cards and loads of rules, but you can ignore most of them.

If your cousins are into pirates, you could look at Merchants and Marauders. It's apparently the ultimate pirate-themed board game.

To clarify: I didnt vote for Arkham Horror - I just wanted to point out what other styles of games there are. But again - if you find it interesting why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goobs mcdickins
msg tools
To the people saying stone age is very mathy, would it not appeal to a group of teenagers? Also, what do you guys think of small world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:
To the people saying stone age is very mathy, would it not appeal to a group of teenagers? Also, what do you guys think of small world?

I own small world. Yes it has a nice theme looks very good and it is often recommenden. i dont like it that much. For me there is too much chaos, and the races feel very similar. But this is realy only what I think. A LOT of people realy like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
Richmond
SURREY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:

It depends on the teenagers...

I got my school maths prize and I find a game where you win via competitive mental maths 'not fun'.

I also find Stone Age unthematic. There are several resources - wood, stone, gold and brick, but they're identical (except for cost) in the game. You can, for example, build a hut out of gold... In prehistoric times...

Stone Age seems to get recommended because it's an simple entry point for maths-heavy eurogames. If you don't want your next purchase to be that type of game, there are many, many better games around. But other people love this game [shrug] so I can't say it wouldn't work for you.

Small World is ok. It's not my favourite game, but it's entertaining, competitive and there's some skill involved. You're unlikely to be disappointed, let's put it that way.

I'd read some reviews and - if you can - play online or on the computer before cashing out for the boardgame. I always ask questions, watch video reviews, play online, etc. before buying a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Urbanke
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation: 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:

All great games... but for introducing new players I'd start with 7 Wonders, then Stone Age, then Power Grid. 7 Wonders is probably the easiest to "get into". Power Grid is really about maximizing efficiency and planning turn order, so I'm not sure it would be the first game I'd recommend.

You were planning on buying all three right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurbir23 wrote:

Small World is one of the most divisive games on BGG. The wide range of opinions on it is enough to drive a person crazy.

Like I said before: Play these games, THEN decide. Otherwise, you'll go nuts trying to get enough opinions about the "perfect game."

Case in point: I got caught up in the hype about Summoner Wars, so when the Master Set came out, I had to have it. But then I played it at my FLGS and was utterly underwhelmed. It's off my Must Buy list now. Instead, I had no idea I'd like Airlines Europe, but I played it, had a blast, and bought it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.