$10.00
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This picture was posted on FFG's Descent 2E forums, posted by a User named Kerl with the following comment:



Quote:
The picture is come from Hong-Kong website, Wargamers club online, and they will release Chinese version of Descent.

It looks like they play one game, and someone left comment on their forum.

I try to best I can to translate it into English.



The Quest is well balance, and Heroes and Overlord have same wining ratio. Game paly is much faster ( little down time?)

New plot system is very good, it puts more stories into quest, and win or lose between encounters and chapters will impact your adventure.

Overlord's action not just an DM, and his/her choice has much more important, therefore, Overlord feel like you play the game, not just run the game

Introduction part is qutie nice, players don't need to read a lot of rules(but winning the quest still need read more rules)

Overall, Descent 2nd include all structure from previous edition's expansion. It keeps all the good part, and put into one box. Now you can say, if you don't have time to run D&D, Descent 2nd is another choice. Expecting full version show up.


Here's the link to the thread page on the official FFG forums. It's on pg.5 of the thread:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...



35 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad they're keeping Master and Normal monsters (kinda thought so before since you can use previous monsters, but this pic confirms it). Wish we could see these figs better.

The rulebook looks printed from a home printer, which means there's a soft copy PDF out there. Time to release it FFG!

-shnar
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! Please release the rules FFG!

Anyone have any ideas on what the monsters are that can be seen? The ones on the left look like a giant/troll with a spiky club. The four single-base monsters are too small, but look 'human' sized.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for translating and linking! Great information, and I'm jazzed that we are getting closer and closer. From the description you translated, this could wind up being a lot of fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the translation is accurate. Yes, there is less downtime. It's easy to teach new players.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InyokaMadoda wrote:
I agree! Please release the rules FFG!

Anyone have any ideas on what the monsters are that can be seen? The ones on the left look like a giant/troll with a spiky club. The four single-base monsters are too small, but look 'human' sized.

The big ones appear to have two heads, so I'd say they are ettins. The other ones look smaller than human sized, and judging from the goblins pictured on the box cover, I'd say they are goblins as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is the assurance I needed to push me over the line into buying this game. I am glad I cleared a place for it in my closet, and can't wait to find how how it rivals others in my stack....especially Doom, Heroquest, and Mage Knight.

Thank you for sharing the picture and translated text! Sine BGG only allows 1 thumb up...then consider this message 42 more to you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygnu wrote:
InyokaMadoda wrote:
I agree! Please release the rules FFG!

Anyone have any ideas on what the monsters are that can be seen? The ones on the left look like a giant/troll with a spiky club. The four single-base monsters are too small, but look 'human' sized.

The big ones appear to have two heads, so I'd say they are ettins. The other ones look smaller than human sized, and judging from the goblins pictured on the box cover, I'd say they are goblins as well.


Now I've had the chance to look at the picture zoomed in, I'd agree with you, but I would have to say that there looks to be two types of single-space monsters there. Probably impossible to work out what they are though. Can't wait to see the miniatures in this game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Burton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you for posting this!

Man those two monsters are HUGE. They make for some serious hall blockers.

I have my dungeon fund saved up for Descent 2nd Ed along with the conversion kit, seeing the picture above helps keep that money focused vs other temptations hehe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The part that I really like was this:

Quote:
Overlord's action not just an DM, and his/her choice has much more important, therefore, Overlord feel like you play the game, not just run the game
(Emphasis in bold face is mine)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the "run the game vs. play the game" comment. 1E had many flaws to be sure, but did people who were playing the Overlord ever feel like a DM instead of a player? I certainly never did, but then again I took it on as an adversarial role in order to defeat my opponents (the heroes), and not as a benevolent "teacher" of sorts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it to mean that the game is still played by the Overlord in an adversarial position, like 1st Edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
The part that I really like was this:

Quote:
Overlord's action not just an DM, and his/her choice has much more important, therefore, Overlord feel like you play the game, not just run the game
(Emphasis in bold face is mine)


I have an inkling of what the guy might be talking about. I always felt as if the role of the OL was quite boring, and more of an administrative role with not very many interesting decisions to make. Maybe he means that the OL is more involved in the gameplay and feels just as much like a fully fleshed-out character as the heroes...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
The part that I really like was this:

Quote:
Overlord's action not just an DM, and his/her choice has much more important, therefore, Overlord feel like you play the game, not just run the game
(Emphasis in bold face is mine)

Not sure I understand that. I've never felt like I was "running" the game, unless maybe I was playing with a lot of first timers. As OL, I'm always trying to pound the Heroes, do my best to win early, i.e. always playing the game.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the first edition of Descent and have had a keen eye on the second edition. Without knowing how the game actually feels like playing as the Overlord, I was worried that it might be more akin to playing a Dungeon Master (per Dungeons and Dragons) than playing as another player. In other words, I am hoping it will be more like the demonic player from Claustrophobia and less like the Keeper in Mansions of Madness (nothing wrong with playing as the Keeper but it feels more like DMing than in Claustrophobia).

Since you guys have obviously played first edition, can you comment on this? Do you feel like you are "running the game" or do you feel like "a player?" I'm having a hard time getting the feel down for what I mean but the closest I can come is the comparison in the previous paragraph.

I *do* know how it feels to run the monsters in Doom and that felt like I was playing as opposed to running. Does that make sense?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I don't own the first edition of Descent and have had a keen eye on the second edition. Without knowing how the game actually feels like playing as the Overlord, I was worried that it might be more akin to playing a Dungeon Master (per Dungeons and Dragons) than playing as another player. In other words, I am hoping it will be more like the demonic player from Claustrophobia and less like the Keeper in Mansions of Madness (nothing wrong with playing as the Keeper but it feels more like DMing than in Claustrophobia).

Since you guys have obviously played first edition, can you comment on this? Do you feel like you are "running the game" or do you feel like "a player?" I'm having a hard time getting the feel down for what I mean but the closest I can come is the comparison in the previous paragraph.

I *do* know how it feels to run the monsters in Doom and that felt like I was playing as opposed to running. Does that make sense?


Doom and Descent 1E are almost exactly the same game, so if you felt like you were "playing" in Doom then you will probably feel like you are "playing" in D1E. Though my feelings about it are the complete opposite of yours: in both Doom and D1E I feel like I am just running the game, and in Mansions of Madness I feel that the keeper actually has a much more interesting role than the investigators.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a relatively common misconception of Descent, usually by first time players or by those seeing the game and never having played, that the Overlord is more of a GameMaster running the game instead of actually playing and trying to win.

It may be that 2nd Ed goes a little further in OL involvement/progression though, which may add to the feel that the OL is playing even more. Kind of like the Advanced Campaign's progression, though distilled in whatever 2nd Ed's campaign is like.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I don't own the first edition of Descent and have had a keen eye on the second edition. Without knowing how the game actually feels like playing as the Overlord, I was worried that it might be more akin to playing a Dungeon Master (per Dungeons and Dragons) than playing as another player. In other words, I am hoping it will be more like the demonic player from Claustrophobia and less like the Keeper in Mansions of Madness (nothing wrong with playing as the Keeper but it feels more like DMing than in Claustrophobia).

Since you guys have obviously played first edition, can you comment on this? Do you feel like you are "running the game" or do you feel like "a player?" I'm having a hard time getting the feel down for what I mean but the closest I can come is the comparison in the previous paragraph.

I *do* know how it feels to run the monsters in Doom and that felt like I was playing as opposed to running. Does that make sense?


Agree with Chris that if you felt that way in Doom, you'll feel that way in Descent. As I said I've always felt like I was "playing" not "running" in Descent (unless it is all new players as Shnar pointed out). One thing to add is that I've played Claustrophobia and Mansions of Madness as well and to me the Overlord role feels much more like Claustrophobia (I'm the bad guy and am trying to efficiently use my resources to defeat you), than Mansions of Madness (which I always thought "felt" very much the the DM of an RPG, even if you are making game play decisions).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The map in that pic shows narrow and small "rooms". The biggest "room" in this pic is 4x4. I hope the full game has more open areas, including wider corridors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
The map in that pic shows narrow and small "rooms". The biggest "room" in this pic is 4x4. I hope the full game has more open areas, including wider corridors.


Actually, the biggest room is 5x4 (the "room" on the right). Also, looking at the unpunched piece in the tilesheet, there is a 3x6 looking "bridge" tile. So I guess that's a larger corridor for you.

Most of the tiles I've seen so far hint that there will be few "standard" pieces and most will be slightly off (like the bridge, notice that one edge's "connector" piece is on one side but the on the opposite side on the other side of the bridge).

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, it looks like the original chinese user that posted the image took it down. Probably found out he broke an NDA

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It's a relatively common misconception of Descent, usually by first time players or by those seeing the game and never having played, that the Overlord is more of a GameMaster running the game instead of actually playing and trying to win.

It may be that 2nd Ed goes a little further in OL involvement/progression though, which may add to the feel that the OL is playing even more. Kind of like the Advanced Campaign's progression, though distilled in whatever 2nd Ed's campaign is like.

-shnar



Yeah to me that line reads like it was written by someone who may not have played Descent 1E.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.