Subject: what's the focus of each of the expansion cycles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,
I've got the core set and am debating which of the expansions to get. I'm probably going to get the deluxe expansion "Secrets of Arkham" and am thinking about getting one other expansion cycle. Can anyone tell me what the focus of each of the expansions is?

eg - The Order of the Silver Twilight - adding the new faction

what about these?

Forgotten Lore: ???
The Summons of the Deep: i've heard that each AP is based on a different cycle
The Dreamlands: clans/dreamer/day&night
The Yuggoth Contract: ???
The Rituals of the Order: ???
Ancient Relics: ???
Revelations: ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Cooper
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here goes:

Forgotten Lore: Each asylum pack is based on a different theme. for instance, Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – The Mountains of Madness Asylum Pack has Polar based effects (which don't do anything for the rest of the game) but also has some really powerful cards, such as Sled Dogs. Research each of these packs separately, as there isn't really a "focus" that runs throughout all of them.

The Summons of the Deep: Each asylum pack focuses on one of the five struggles (six including yours skill check). Read the back of each one (look at pics here on BGG) to find out which struggle the pack focuses on.

The Dreamlands: Day and Night. Also the Dreamer subtype and most of the Zoog cards you need if you want to build a deck around them.

The Yuggoth Contract: Kind of an odd cycle. Lots of powerful monsters and GREAT Mi-Go cards (I have a soft spot for them, at least). Neutral conspiracy cards and cards that play off them are also represented here.

The Rituals of the Order: After Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – The Order of the Silver Twilight large expansion, FFG released these packs to further flesh out this new faction. I highly recommend buying the large expansion to acquire them, they are really combo-heavy and tons of fun to play. Also, just having an eighth faction to play with is worth the purchase.

Ancient Relics: In the first pack, Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – The Shifting Sands Asylum Pack, you get a new set of story cards, so that makes it worth the purchase alone. Throughout the Asylum packs, you get Relics that are super powerful cards (faction specificish) that are shuffled back into your deck so they are hard to get rid of. Also, some say that these packs contribute some power creep to the game, but I think that is a falsehood. Since it is so easy to get any card you need in this format, with no rare-chasing etc. everyone has access to everything, so you're not going to spring something on your opponent that he/she can't take care of.

Revelations: Since I don't have any of these yet (there is only one AP out so far) I'm not really sure. But, according to FFG's website, they introduce some new subtypes to the game and various incarnations of the dreaded Necronomicon.

You may also look into Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – Secrets of Arkham, as it gives you another set of story cards and just some great cards in general. This is a very abbreviated look into each cycle, and there are some smaller themes that run throughout various sets (some give you some good serpents, some give you some good lunatics etc.) and discovering them is half the fun of the game. Also, look here on BGG as they have a TON of info on all of the packs. Most importantly, ENJOY THIS GREAT GAME. It never gets stale, and is one of the only games I rate a perfect 10.

I hope this helped!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorekbyrnison wrote:
Revelations: Since I don't have any of these yet (there is only one AP out so far) I'm not really sure. But, according to FFG's website, they introduce some new subtypes to the game and various incarnations of the dreaded Necronomicon.

I haven't gotten to pick up the first Revelations pack yet, but from the sneak peeks FFG has posted there seems to be some emphasis on Tomes (the Necronomicon in particular) and characters and other cards that deal with them. It's still early to see how pervasive this will be though since the first pack just came out and not everyone has it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Is there much of a theme to "Secrets of Arkham"? (Everyone suggests it so i'll definitely pick it up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really I don't think, but it's an excellent expansion and well worth getting. I generally recommend starting with Core+Secrets for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.