true cricket
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with 6 players on the Brazil map, and we didn't go through the step 3. We used the 6 regions.
It was because we all were able to buy big plants soon in the game, so we didn't create enough turn-over in the deck. It was hard in the end of the game since only one of the 4 plants of the actuel market was interessesting.

But it wasn't the disapointing thing. The fact that it was possible to end without going in step 3. All cities had 2 houses :
1 player had 15 cities, 4 had 14 and one had 13. I would have prefered a temporarely blocked game, until we revealed the step 3 card, the game would realy be like it was named "the long version".

Did anyone encounter the same event? Do anyone else think that we should move up to (maybe) 16 cities the trigger of the end of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
true_cricket wrote:
I played with 6 players on the Brazil map, and we didn't go through the step 3. We used the 6 regions.

You used 6 regions instead of 5 as the Power Grid rules say?

Quote:
But it wasn't the disapointing thing. The fact that it was possible to end without going in step 3. All cities had 2 houses :
1 player had 15 cities, 4 had 14 and one had 13. I would have prefered a temporarely blocked game,

If you were using 6 regions instead of 5, it does seem that there would be more cities available and less blocking...

EDITED TO ADD: Aha, I didn't realize the new power plant deck says to use 6 regions! Interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The long deck has a lot of step 2 wins. Raising the end condition to 16 makes sense, especially if you have any promo cards in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
You used 6 regions instead of 5 as the Power Grid rules say?

Inside the New Power Plant card box, there's a rules sheet that says for the Big Game you play with 42 cities if you have 6 players. So they were following the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
If the plants in the market all suck and everyone passes the lowest value plant is removed from the game and a new one is drawn.

A lot of games don't make it to round 3. A common strategy is that if you can power more cities than your opponents and have the money to build enough connections to end the game then you do just that. I have forced the game to end only able to power 12 cities in a 5 player to 18 city game before as the best my nearest opponent could do was 11. It's also common for games to end one turn into stage 2 if whoever is in last place has a lot of money and a decent capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
true cricket
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polkeroo wrote:
If the plants in the market all suck and everyone passes the lowest value plant is removed from the game and a new one is drawn

But this part of the rules wasn't often used, since one plant was bought at almost every turn.

I will try an other game raising at 16, or maybe 17.

I didn't make my mind yet to the use of this subtility of the rule : triggering the end of the game but being far to ba able to power the cities. I thought that you fall far behind because you ar the last player to buy ressources. But it seems damn powerful! I will have to try. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Mattsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My experience, as well. We play a league with all the maps and the top 6 players qualify to the final where we use the Big Power Plants set with all the promos. We'll try with 17 or even 18 cities for the next season as otherwise the game ends before the big plants comes into play. It might work with 15 on some maps with fewer total number of cities like Japan, Benelux and Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.