Erik Dahlman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is an awesome thread right now about laser cutters for tokens, etc. and it got me thinking about my own prototyped games, mainly the decks of cards. I've ordered decks from various companies in the past but it's started to get expensive with shipping costs being so high these days. Now, finding a high quality printer to produce the cards is easy but how do you cut them?

And I'm not talking about using scissors or manually cutting the cards. I looked all over for machines that would take a sheet and cut them for me and I came up with zero. Any help locating something that can take a standard sheet of 108 cards and dice them up into nice cards with rounded corners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the typical route is using a die cutter with a custom die to cut out the cards. 18-card sheets seem fairly standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Altmann
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kardkutter review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8500700#8500700
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Only a dragon to see here. Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look harder for Artscow coupons? Decks can be very cheap if you time it right.

I manually cut cards and then hot laminate them in sleeves. This gives rounded corners and complete consistency even if my cutting is slightly off.

Real cards are die cut as has been mentioned.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
United Kingdom
North London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aubigny wrote:

Card images should be 744x1040 at 300dpi for the kardkutter. If you go the kardkutter route, I've knocked together a simple program for automatically assembling the cards into sheets (with borders) - pm me if you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You should also check NanDeck for making/printing cards, especially if you like them doublesided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

You should also check NanDeck for making/printing cards, especially if you like them doublesided.

Many thanks for the nanDECK link, not something I was aware of but I can see myself putting it to some good use thumbsup

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's awesome. Takes some time to get your head around, but the possibilities are endless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can buy a "credit card die cutter". It's around 50$ on eBay.
Your cards would be a tad smaller than standard, but you could punch them quickly and precisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.