Subject: 7 wonders rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan York

Ferndale
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
For one of the wonders there is an ability which allows you to go through the entire discard deck and play a card for free. I was wondering if you have to do this the moment you play this certain wonder, or if you play it at the end of an age, or if you can play use this ability at the end of the game and then go through the entire deck, which would be optimal because you would have more cards to choose from. I used this ability by fulfilling the wonder requirements today, however, there weren't any cards in the discard pile since the game just started, so I decided to wait til the end of an age. The rules don't specifically say when can use this ability, and go through the entire discarded deck and play a card for free.
Also, when you use this ability does it take up one of your turns or not. When I played today, I chose to use this ability at the end of each age, in this way I technically got an extra card, because I wasn't substituting my play of going through the deck and playing a card for free as one of my turns. I actually did this ability 3 times, since on side B of some city, (sorry, I don't remember which one), there are 3 wonder stages, and each wonder stage gives you this ability. So at the end of the game I had 3 more cards in play than anyone else. Does anyone know when you use this specific ability. Could I possibly have waited til the end of the game If I wanted to, and then gone and picked 3 cards out of the entire discard deck, or should I have played this ability right away? Also, does anyone know if this takes up a turn of playing another card? Thanks, for any help than can be given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wonder board is Halikarnassos
When you build that stage of the Wonder you look through the cards that have been discarded up to that point, including those discarded in the same turn by other players. (And the card you discarded if you build that stage of your Wonder with your sixth turn of the age.)
You will end up with 1 or 3 more cards in play (depending on which side of the board you used) as long as you don't ever discard for money.
You cannot build that stage of the wonder early in the round and wait for the ability to happen, it must be used then.
It is still part of the same turn though, so if you use it as your very last turn in the game you do still get to build what you choose from the discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the rules in front of me but I believe it takes effect when you activate it so the longer you hold out the more powerful it is. That's the way we play it at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan York

Ferndale
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the fast and quick response. I guess that makes sense, being able to use it whenever you want to, would just make it stupid powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One common use is to use it to take a red card out of the discards and play it (giving you the last word in the arms race). However for the A side, you have to do this in act 2 if you want to build the 7 victory point part.

In some ways this is one of the more exotic wonders because it lets you build cards you may not usually have access to. You just have to pick the right time to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
However for the A side, you have to do this in act 2 if you want to build the 7 victory point part.

No you don't. This is a common misunderstanding. There is no link between the three Wonder stages and the three Ages. You can build the Wonder stages on your last three turns if you so wish. Or at any time in the game. The only restriction is that you have to build them in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering he said that it gives you the last word in the arms race, it certainly seems like he meant to use it on the last turn of an age, so no one else gets an opportunity to play military. If you were trying to do it that specific way, then yes, you could not get the 7 point wonder stage if you played it as the last card of age 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
You get the discarded card back immediately so if you build a stage when there are no discards than you've just wasted your build.

Here's a portion of something I wrote about Halicanarsus in a previous thread concerning how to use Halicanarsus . I can post the rest if you want to see it also.
You must know that if you build a stage during the 6th turn of an age you can go through all the cards that other players had to discard including the one you yourself discarded at the end of the sixth turn. This is important because it is the only (reliable) way to take back a card with the same age as the turn you used to build your wonder (An age 1 turn to get an age 1 card, an age 2 turn to get a age 2 card, an age 3 turn to get an age 3 card). This also means that at worst you'll get the better of the 2 last cards in your hand during turn 6.

Halcarnassos's ability helps it with all strategies which is why I like it but it is inflexible because it has more strict timing when you should build its stages. Someone above said that he usually just builds the first section during age 2 and the second during age 3. This is not too far off if you know that one of your two last cards is very good for you or you don’t have the necessary 2 ore in age 1. However if you have 2 ore it can be very beneficial to you to build the first section in age 1 especially if neither of the last 2 cards are good or if you don’t have the resources to build the better card (Early science for example) since you really lose nothing as you can take back the better of your last 2 cards. Since you can then just use the third stage instead of the second one during age 3 you've really lost nothing (if you don’t have access to scrolls and/or glass by age 3 you’ve got much bigger problems to deal with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
contiguity wrote:
However for the A side, you have to do this in act 2 if you want to build the 7 victory point part.

No you don't. This is a common misunderstanding. There is no link between the three Wonder stages and the three Ages. You can build the Wonder stages on your last three turns if you so wish. Or at any time in the game. The only restriction is that you have to build them in order.

He's saying that if you wait until the very last turn of Age III to surprise someone by fishing out a military card, you now can't build stage III because the game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.