Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: planning future purchases for 2-4 player gaming group any input would be helpful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About the group: usually 2-3 occasionally 4 and rarely more. All experienced,intelligent and open-minded gamers.

About the games: We are looking to cover as much of the gaming spectrum as possible with as few games as possible to insure that all of our investments get table time. Replay value and uniqueness are important. I want as little redundancy in the collection as possible. Lastly meaningful decisions are important we want games not rides, so with the exception of AH I would like to avoid games that play themselves.

Please: Help me pick between games marked OR. Point me toward better games of a type. offer input as to weather the games in the two lower sections should have a spot in the collection. Talk me out of buying them

Current list of slots I am trying to fill and their potential games

medium sci-fi cutthroat: cosmic encounter (very on the fence I must research this game more)
semi-co-op: target earth (really on the fence but with only 3/4 )
space combat: exile sun OR starcraft OR renegade legion OR other
space 4x/empire: eclipse OR 4x+1 OR omega centauri OR hegemonics OR stelcon OR other
space exploration: space mission OR race for the galaxy OR core worlds OR E.domain OR other
cyberpunk: mecanisburgo (I know almost nothing about this genre but the game sounds excellent)
zombie: lnoe OR zpocalypse OR zombicide OR other
japanese: ikusa OR shogun OR samurai battles OR sekigahara-unification+1
filler: flash duel 2, hacker OR illuminati, dark minions OR king of tokyo, epic spell wars, light speed, yomi,diceland

other things i am contemplating:whistle
chaos in the old world +1(good reviews and seemed like interesting mechanics)
cave evil (we're metalheads.)
dungeoneer (for the round robin building mechanic)
small world (variable player powers, fantasy area control may conflict with wiraqocha)
heroclix-mageknight (for the sheer vatiety and customization but is it redundant with okko)
roborally OR asteroyds (I don't even know what slot would this fill. Which is exactly why I'm interested)
dungeon lords (dungeon petz is generally consider the better worker placement of the 2)
atlantis rising (Not sure which co-ops-AH,GS,DotR- [perhaps all] this would replace)
alien frontiers (have heard good things about this but I am not sure if it should replace CE or something else or if it should even make the cut)
catacombs (not sure if this should replace DTwister as the party crawl,is redundant because of DT, Or if they are different enough to warrant seperate slots)
carpe astra (I am not sure what to call this but is seems different from my other prospects)

Newer games that i am keeping an eye on:
goo
princes of the dragon throne (seems like it may be very unique)
day of the dead (filler with original mechanics)
lexicons of dueling (a nice filler if it has exp. support)
gladiatori (the charecter creation via deck building is interesting not sure what slot this would take though)
shadow days ( interesting filler esp. the play against each other and the world mech)
redshirts (filler with an interesting mechanic but it may feel generic anyway and if there are no expansions planned it would get old
fast)
zoneplex (seems interesting but i need more info)

Also does any have any opinion on the other realm of terrinoth games (runeage/wars/bound) with regards to this list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games I know I would agree with Small World, Ghost Stories and Arkham horror.

I would say that you have Ghost Stories and Arkham horror the wrong way around in the list, AH is a lot heavier than GS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan: thank you for the correction. I think that the lack of conflict in dominion would kill it for my group but thank you.

kieth: I wrote the co-ops like that because the general consensus is that GS is more difficult (it should have said advanced not heavy co-op) anyway i switched them and thanks for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
gamer667788 wrote:

Current possible collection list. Games we already own in caps.

Quote:

I want something awesome.

You need to (no really, you do) check out Earth Reborn.

Quote:
CCG: MTG
LCG: nightfall

Take a look at A Game of Thrones: The Card Game if you like the books/tv series. Fun with 2-4 players, feels very different from MTG even in 1v1, and the 3+ player mechanics are so, so much more than MtG FFA. Fun with just the core set. (Except, Targaryen might feel a bit bland.)

Quote:
overlord/1vs all: descent

I'd wait for the Descent 2e reviews. Then choose between that, Mansions of Madness or Middle-Earth Quest... Claustrophobia is really good, but only for 2/3 players.

(If you buy Earth Reborn you might find it covers your needs for competitive crawl, light wargame, and 1vs all.)

Quote:

area control: small world +1

Check out Cyclades, also easy to get into and plays fast, and I think the auction mechanic will be refreshingly different for your group. The bidding gets very cutthroat!

Quote:
filler: flash duel 2, hacker OR illuminati, dark minions, epic spell wars, light speed, yomi, smash-up

King of Tokyo

Btw Yomi is 2-player, if you are going to play some 2-player only then I also recommend checking out Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for your Japanese fix, and A Few Acres of Snow or War of the Ring (first edition).

Quote:
other things i am contemplating:
chaos in the old world (good reviews and seemed like interesting mechanics)
+1, if you're okay with a game that doesn't scale well under 4 players.

Quote:

dungeon lords (this just seemed like a cool realitively unique filler)
Not a filler at all. But do check it out because it's a cool game and it's so different from these other games on your list. Variation is the spice of life and all that. arrrh

For a hectic, fun and unique coop, check out Space Alert
And from the same designer, another cool and different game: Galaxy Trucker (build ships with tiles, then try to fly them through meteor fields.)

Quote:

Ghost Stories

I like it, you can try it out first using http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Ghost_Stories to see if it's your thing. It's easy to learn the game, use Grudunza's tutorial vids on this site.
You can find many other games there, btw. Also check out http://en.boardgamearena.com , you could check out Gosu (quick, interactive game that can be played as a quick filler, or something meatier if you put more thought into your choices)
or Dominion and others. You might find you like Dominion even though it's not super interactive. It's just a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow this is a lot of info, thank you. I have however looked into most of these already.

1)ER looks very limited maybe when expansions come out

2) The GOT theme is not of interest. It is one of the few fantasy series that i have never had the urge to read. However I may watch the show and see what I think.

3) MOM: I was completely turned off by reviews complaining of broken scenerios. MEQ: again while we ARE familiar with this theme it just doesn't have that much pull. Claustro: I am concerned with the lack of replay value when compared to descent also I was unaware that it was a 1vs all

4)Getting 4 people to routinely play this would be difficult but if it gets more recs i might consider it something with a bidding auction mech is a good idea.

5)KOT: Again i am not sure about it's replay value compared to my other potential fillers. A few acres: a historical setting is not really that interesting to us.

6) I have looked into both SA and GT and although GT looks tempting I don't think either has the replay value and GT's lack of conflic would bore us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
gamer667788 wrote:
Wow this is a lot of info, thank you. I have however looked into most of these already.

No problem, happy to talk about games now and then .

Quote:
1)ER looks very limited maybe when expansions come out

Hmm, when people critique this game, many say it has too much stuff. (In terms of rulesets for: radio scrambling, interrogation, etc etc... but the rulesets are modular and you can treat them as optional expansions.)

Personally I find there's a lot of replayability in this game and the scenario generation system actually works and creates plenty of these narrative moments of "oh man do you remember when I did this and that."

In the general adventure genre, have you looked at Merchants & Marauders?

Quote:
4)Getting 4 people to routinely play this would be difficult but if it gets more recs i might consider it something with a bidding auction mech is a good idea.

IMHO Cyclades scales very well from 3-5 players. Haven't tried it with 2 but some say they like it.
If you look at the Chaos in the Old World forums, you'll find some people who enjoy Chaos with 3, while others refuse to play it with less than 4... hard to say how it would work out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you're considering, I think your group would enjoy the Mage Knight Board Game...another game y'all might want to consider is Lords of Waterdeep...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1)Hmmm I shall look into ER more iirc I also felt that it would have a lot of overlap with a p&p game but I know little about it so I may be wrong.

1b) As for M&M I have several pirate games that I play with family but the group would, i think prefer a sci-fi setting I was actually looking at space pirates a bit.If not I would bring the ones I already have.

4) interesting it rec'd 4 but if it does scale I will probably add it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think LoW is a bit too passive-euro but I may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
gamer667788 wrote:

i think prefer a sci-fi setting

4) interesting it rec'd 4 but if it does scale I will probably add it.

Eclipse does scale very well with 3 or more players. The reprint should be around in a month or two.
You mentioned it with Ascending Empires in the OP. Eclipse gives this really good 4X experience and doesn't take too much time. AE could be more fun if your group is into dexterity games.

Oh yeah and +1 Mage Knight Board Game (just be aware, takes long to play with 4, and you should read the negative reviews as the hand management+adventure mechanics really don't work for some people.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Son
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:
I think LoW is a bit too passive-euro but I may be wrong.

Lords of Waterdeep is a light, fast playing Euro-esque game. Played a 4 player game from unboxing + rules to completion in < 2 hours.
It'll actually be a fairly good filler game. :-D

Not sure what you mean by passive.
If you means no direct interaction, there are cards for that. But it's relatively light.
If you mean no indirect interaction, it's worker placement. So you can block people out of necessary resources.

If you're looking for Wargame, area control, aggression and player elimination. Uh, yea LoW doesn't provide that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Son
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:

light cutthroat: MUNCHKIN
medium cutthroat: dungeon run

For some interesting cutthroat stuff.
Check out Smirk and Dagger.
Cutthroat Caverns
Hex Hex XL
They have a few other stuff. But, I'd say it's buyer preference.
The two listed above are on the light side though.

gamer667788 wrote:

competitive crawl: mage knight: the board game +1

+1 mage knight
Be warned. It is a hefty game time wise.

gamer667788 wrote:

medium co-op: ghost stories +1
heavy co-op: arkham horror +1
fantasy co-op: defenders of the realm

Arkham Horror. The theme is cool. But 4-6 hours for 6 players is way too long for what it is. It'll probably be better for you at 4 or less.
+1 Ghost stories
And also Pandemic w/ On the brink if you want something lighter.

gamer667788 wrote:

space: exile sun OR ascending empires OR eclipse

Ascending Empires = light and fun for 4 players.
But! The board gets super warped, and I don't know if that issue was fixed. For a dexterity flicking game, it sucks when your shot goes way off kilter because the it caroms off a raised warped board.

Eclipse = heavier/meatier. I think that's the best choice out of the 3.

gamer667788 wrote:

area control: small world +1

Small World is light. And, I HATED it. Just traded my copy away.
I think the gameplay was terrible.
My group's stance seems to be:
Pros: cool art, goofy powers + race combos.
Cons: "I'm just terribly bored pushing these stupid cardboard chits around."
And hell, we love pushing stupid wooden cubes around.

El Grande
Classic area control game. There is no sense of 'warfare' per se. But it gets tight, and interesting.
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
The 2nd edition reprint.
I know you said you didn't like the theme. But man I love the gameplay.
It's area control, but there is totally a player elimination/conflict aspect to it that is absolutely satisfying.

gamer667788 wrote:

zombie: lnoe OR PnP games

Zpocalypse
Check that out.

gamer667788 wrote:

filler: flash duel 2, hacker OR illuminati, dark minions OR king of tokyo, epic spell wars, light speed, yomi, smash-up

Lord of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dan: yes that is exactly what I meant. Also if you are going to rec an unlisted game please specify the slot it would fill and-if i already have games in mind-why it is superior to them. No offense i just was not specific enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zpocalypse looks interesting can you tell me anything about how it compares to other zombie games. Will it have expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
[q="gamer667788"]
Dungeon Lords is definitely NOT filler. It's relatively complex. It's also a 4p game and uses robotic players with less than 4.
heroscape is AWESOME, but I've never played okko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah heroscape rocks it's expensive though hence my looking into other light wargames. (in CAPS means the group already owns a game). I am really curious about okko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:
smash-up

You need to buy this when it's out. Seriously, you NEED to.

I'm not kidding, I have goons.

It's for your own good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
gamer667788 wrote:
Cyclades does seem interesting but it appears to be limited enogh to have a single way to always win thus killing it's replay value.

Hmm that's not my experience. While playing I've seen:

ninja Building one metropolis, then losing all other islands: So down to one island for half of the game. He built up 6 troops on that island, saved money, then used Zeus+Pegasus to invade another island with a metropolis and won that way.

arrrh Building no metropolis and simply invading two other metropolis islands and win that way. There are many different ways this can play out, with the creatures and the auctions.

brick Victory via Athena strategy, building 2 metropolis and defending them against 2 different players during the last turn.

(And this can happen through various combinations of gods and creatures. My last game, someone won by using Chimera to go through the discard pile, which let him use the creature to steal someone's Philosopher, which gave him 4 of those and his second metropolis. There's also the creature which changes one building type to another, or you could win by just using the gods.)

And that's just the surface of it... the real game is played on the auction board, which can be gamed in devious ways, and involves a lot of timing and psychology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about any of the D&D games, lots of replayability and tons of fun:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

I like Dungeon Run a lot, but I know that our group would pick any of the previous three over it any time they are offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a place to post the title of this game. It probably would work for 2-4 players, but I am buying it to play 2 player games.

I did not discover this game on bgg. Instead I went to boardsandbits website and poked around. Today. Then I checked the rating. Good enough.

It looks fun.

There are limited copies available of this game as far as I know so I have already ordered mine, before posting the title of it here.

Someone may know more about this game than me and find the gameplay to not be amazing, but I have to say the theme and the way the game looks is more than enough for me to buy it for the $44 that b and b is charging.

The mechanics read like a must list of my favorite ones.

The title is Wiraqocha

Don't tell me I won't like it until I've played it and know for myself. I'll know soon. It will be played within a week.

I think someone that can actually write a little bit came up with the story and the theme. The synopsis is well written and interesting. I like the kind of theme that it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
to b.k
With a true pen and paper i.e rifts they seemed redundant.
Please note that i am either looking for people to be like (game x) is better than (list game) becuase (reason) or for people to help me cull the list. I have already looked into and put aside most of the games that have been mentioned. On the other hand I am sure that i have missed some obscure gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dungeon Run, it's gone over great with my group and seems to fit the kind of feel you're looking for.

I like Wrath of Ashardalon et al, but they're very much D&D games, i.e. roll, add bonuses, add/subtract special effects, consult cards about further options, etc. If your group likes their dungeon crawls "mathy", they may prefer one of the D&D games over Dungeon Run - though the D&D games are coops, so there's that. The games are harsh mistresses though, so I wouldn't call them free of conflict - just free of conflict with *other players*.

The benefit to Dungeon Run is it's easy to pick up, plays at a good clip, rewards some strategic cooperation (it's difficult, though possible, to beat the big boss without a little help), and then you get to beat the crap out of each other in the second half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I see you have Dungeon Lords listed as a potential game. It's a great game, but quite heavy and doesn't scale well (robotic players with less than four, as someone mentioned). I've also found Dungeon Lords very difficult to get back to the table, because it's so much heavier than it looks and can really torture anyone prone to analysis paralysis. If you'd like to look at a worker placement game with a similar theme to others you've mentioned, take a look at Lords of Waterdeep. It's lighter than Dungeon Lords, but since Lords of Waterdeep is built on the same basic mechanic, it may scratch that itch the same as or better than Dungeon Lords would.

(edit) And I wouldn't call Lords of Waterdeep "passive" any more than any other worker placement game. Lords of Waterdeep actually has more screwage than most worker placement games, thanks to the Intrigue cards which can force your opponent(s) to do various things. Having said that though, if the issue is that you find worker placement games to not have enough action for your group, you'd probably be better off scratching Dungeon Lords from your list entirely, because it is, at heart, a worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Again concerning D&D I figured that with an actual pen and paper why bother with board game versions. As for depth you actually made the case for dungeon lords. I liked the sound of the mechanics. The fact that it is deeper than I thought just makes me want it more.

updated again. Items highlighted in a color other than green are one that I am worried about being redundant with others of the same color if i were to get both/all of them. Greens are things that I particularly want input on. All input is still welcome. Please give your reason when you plug a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

because you and all the others have named so many games, i will restrict myself to the games you mentioned first and that i know.

Theses are my opinions. Others might judge the games very differently.

MUNCHKIN: Very cutthroat, fun with 3 to 4 players, needs a few games to shine, gets boring after > 50 games played.

Mage Knight: not a dungeon crawl at all. It is more of a puzzle game (the author has also designed Galaxy Truckers) in a fantasy setting. But it is very good. Have it played only with 1-2 players.

Nightfall: Interesting mechanics, the theme is a paste over. Like the Knizia games. I was disappointed.

Ghost Stories: Nice. 10 plays and we did not manage to win one. It is a great puzzle with a good share of luck. The theme is thick.

Cosmic Encounter: no space exploration at all! It is THE cutthroat game on the market. Ever changing alliances, deception, treachery, and if you think you are just one round away from victory ... MUHAAAAHAA! CE does not play well with just 3 players. I own the hexa games 6 player version and it plays best with 4-6 players.

Flash Duel 2: very short and entertaining. Rules are very simple, but there is tactical depth in there. A small fun game, that we play for just one round ... and then another and another.

King of Tokyo: Short filler game with a great theme. Rules are very simple, there are only a few tactics to win, but you have to adjust them to the way the others are playing. The artwork is fantastic. If you love throwing dice, buy it. If you hate dice, stay away. Like Flash Duel it is only a filler game. If i had to decide between those two, i would go for Flash Duel. Plays best with 3-6 players.

Yomi: aaaaahhhh. Nice game principle, horrible cards, very expensive. You can play Yomi online against an AI or other players. Have a look for your self. I do not own it. At the moment i am looking at BattleCon as an alternative. It can be played with 4 players (Yomi only 2) and there is a Print And Play test version that you can download.

Small World: My game group loves it! Very, very easy, but still fun. Not a deep gameplay but cutthroat. We never play two rounds of it in one session, but it is put on the table on a regular basis.

Hope it helps a little. If you need some more information you can pm me.

scameronde

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.