Subject: My wife can play Fury of Dracula and loves it, will she like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

im looking for a second game to introduce to my wife.

Of all the games in my collection, so far she has only been introduced to Fury of Dracula, she is able to comprehend the rules of that complexity.

Will she like this game?

Cheers for any advice you can give on other games if you think this may be a bridge too far.

PS: She is a casual gamer, not really into overly complex or lengthy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Voigt
Germany
Ansbach
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know your wife, of course, but mine likes Fury of Dracula and loves Arkham Horror. I'd just consider the lenght of this game. She'll need some endurance to get throu... mine often goes to bed before we're able to end is :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
And what time do you start? Does it lend itself to 2 players well?

How does the complexity compare to FoD?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
DaveyF wrote:
And what time do you start? Does it lend itself to 2 players well?

It plays with 2 players but it plays better if both players use 2 investigators each. 4 investigators seems to be a recommended sweet spot but that alone might be a problem with a non-gamer.

As for game length, the first few games will take in the region of 4 to 6 hours (no joking), more so with new players using multiple investigators. While many players say they can play a game of AH in 2 hours, it will most likely take years before you can get to that stage (unless you are really going to play it week in, week out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in almost the same position. My wife is my gaming buddy and like any group (of whatever size) you tend to pick the titles you think everyone around the table will enjoy. I've had Arkham Horror for some time now but due to it's complexity etc it's never found favour...one day I tell myself. FoD is interesting as the theme is spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Count has not seen the light of day ever since I've gotten Arkham Horror.As a narrative-forming co-op game, it's probably the finest. But you need to immerse yourself in the theme.
AH is a much more intuitive and varied game, imo. Once you learn it, you never forget. Just like riding a bicycle. So, go on, start biking into the unknown. The oceans and cliffs of Ryleh beckon thee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ME and my wife attempted to learn AH together,

The only down side was it took along time 3+hrs.. and long games are not my wifes cup of tea. I would advise you to learn it by yourself first then introduce your wife to it. Unless she is into long games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some of the player aid files from here like Universal Head ARKHAM HORROR Rules Summary & Reference and print them out. The official rules are so many pages it takes actually playing for them to sink in, and that can be a turn-off to the game for casual players. You won't be missing anything by starting with less. Just learn it yourself so that using the abbreviated forms makes sense to her while you play.

And anyway, if you mess some things up, the real gem here is the theme and story building. You can balance between game mechanics and theme whichever way the two of you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies, im still on the fence about this one.

Any other reccommends for casual wifey type games in the same vein as Dracula?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Hasselt
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
AH with 2 inverstigators is good way to start, won't take too long. Maybe it's best to learn to play it first - solo - or get introduced by someone who knows how to play.
Like funbelievable already said, the Universal Head ARKHAM HORROR Rules Summary & Reference will be a big help so +1 on that tip.

DaveyF wrote:
...she is able to comprehend the rules of that complexity.

I'm all for to have a rating on complexity for women on gameboxes. angry
We allready know that the age on boxes is only for boys whistle

I'm just joking, I know you mean she's not into overly complex or lengthy games, but if you take care of most of the mechanics in the game (Ancient One, Mythos Phase, ...) and focus on the character play, maybe after a few rounds she doesn't even notice it anymore how complex this game can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Elder Sign as a simpler gateway game into the Arkham world. That's exactly what they intended with that game, and it's designed for solo play as well. Cheaper too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the 240 minutes estimated playtime in AH's description. I suppose it accounts for the largest number of players.We've rarely gone over two hours and that's with all the rule learning.

AH is certainly not a complex game,imo, once the superficial complexity of its rules fades away.Not with two players, anyway.Besides, after some time the gameplay mechanics become second nature. I've actually found Fury of Dracula's mechanics far more impenetrable and difficult to learn.

Now, if you were talking about Descent, I could understand it. Not only is it complex, but it can take up to 5 hours on a good day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
I don't get the 240 minutes estimated playtime in AH's description. I suppose it accounts for the largest number of players.We've rarely gone over two hours and that's with all the rule learning.

AH is certainly not a complex game,imo, once the superficial complexity of its rules fades away.Not with two players, anyway.Besides, after some time the gameplay mechanics become second nature. I've actually found Fury of Dracula's mechanics far more impenetrable and difficult to learn.

Now, if you were talking about Descent, I could understand it. Not only is it complex, but it can take up to 5 hours on a good day.

This post helped a lot, im swinging towards AH now. Im also looking at Betrayal at house on the hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
magmaxtic wrote:

My wife & I always play with 1 investigator each, and our games last anywhere from 1.5-3.5 hours. It's far & away our favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how is the difficulty with 2 investigators.. considering you are meant to control 2 each in a 2 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyF wrote:
how is the difficulty with 2 investigators.. considering you are meant to control 2 each in a 2 player game?

You don't have to play with 2 investigators apiece. It just makes winning more likely. First try it with 1 investigator each, and if you like it, and it's not too complex for your wife, then you can play with each player controlling multiple investigators. I should add that for me, it's not about winning or losing so much as enjoying the theme and the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for elder sign and i will probably get the waves of hate..LOL, but look at mansions of madness, the rp aspect makes it so much fun.

Arkham horror is good as well, many people started off on it and cut their teeth on it, start with the basic game adn then add in expansions. Jumping into the full game witha ll the expansions are probably a bit much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is best with 3 investigators. Once you're familiar enough with the gameplay mechanics, one of you can opt to control two investigators, if you wish.We play like this all the time.It's really not hard once you get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Vonnegut
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyF wrote:
Any other reccommends for casual wifey type games in the same vein as Dracula?

"Letters from Whitechapel". It is sort of a stripped down version of Fury of Dracula. Less chrome and theme, but plays quicker. I liked it, but it's very abstract and tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right,

my wife had a good look at Arkham horror and didnt like it, seemed overly complext and difficult to get into. She likes the mystery element of FoD, the cat and mouse game. Letter from Whitechapel looks good but its too similar IMO.

I'm looking for a game along these lines.

I had a look at Betrayal at house on the hill, but to be honest, the components look poorly made. So I checked out Mansions of madness, but it seems that the theme of that game is constantly bashed out by the rules. Every 5 seconds horror check horror check horror check, combat, combat.

I am leaning more towards MoM at the moment, but if anyone has any other suggestions im all ears.

Thanks very much for your advice so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a good look at Ghost Stories and see if it might be more to both of your liking. Looking at your collection, you've got some high-end depth games that have long play times. Ghost Stories is a beautiful game, but it can be hard to win (read that as challenging). It's cooperative and can be played solo, is pretty popular around here, and there's two expansions for it if you want to go further. I've no idea what it's availability is in the UK, but shouldn't be hard to get. The expansions are another matter, but I don't hink you need one unless it becomes a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive looked at ghost stories but we're not really digging the Asian B movie theme. THanks for the suggestion though, keep em comin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.