Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts So Far? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/files/agricola-allcreatu...

Is the link for the rules. After reading through them once, this looks like a neat game. Overall, it's much simpler than Agricola, while keeping about 1/3 of the core building activities from the big version.

To me, the biggest differences look like tighter two player play (no more fighting over the damn wood) and more of a puzzle mechanic in the building of the farm. The edges of rooms act as fences now (very cool idea), so it looks like the placing of fences is going to be much more strategic.

On the downside, it's definitely more of the same, but simplified. You are placing workers to gather resources, build structures, and take/breed animals, all of which score you points at the end. It's definitely looking like Agricola-lite, but that might not be a bad thing all the time.

My wife loves Agricola (she's challenging herself tonight to a rematch of last night, when she played three solo games...), and I might pick this up as a travel version for jaunts to the park or cabin.

What do you guys think of it so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I study games and gamers at the Technoculture, Art and Games research centre at Concordia University, Montreal.
badge
I hate bowling. It's just multiplayer solitaire.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems interesting, but I'm worried that without the lack of food pressure it will lack tension or excitement. Your opponent's plays may cost you some points, but there will never be that "oh god now all my plans are ruined!" moment.

Which might be a good thing, depending on your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first heard the premise, I thought it would be a meat-eating version of Agricola. Which, as a vegetarian, was not all that appealing, but seemed like it could make for a good game.

But then I read the rules and see that not only did they leave out the most interesting part of Agricola (grain harvesting and baking), but they also left out the ovens. It's all about breeding and *collecting* animals, not eating them.

Animal breeding doesn't sound exciting to me, so I can probably skip this one. I'll wait for a light Agricola-themed game that's all about grain and baking bread. Surely one must be in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope they change the title. Maybe it's just me, but I expect "All Creatures Great and Small"....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
In Agricola, understanding the values of the offers on the board is key to playing well. A large part of what makes this difficult for a new player is the cards, because the cards are designed to make determining those values more difficult (and generally, more interesting). When I started playing Agricola, I wanted to read all the cards because I wanted to understand the relative values of the offers on the board.

As I began teaching Agricola to some of my friends, however, I learned that many (most?) people aren't like that. They enjoyed collecting resources and building a farm, and they even enjoyed using the special powers their occupations and minors gave them. But they generally weren't willing to invest the kind of time it would take to become competitive with someone who knows the cards.

Agricola:ACBaS seems to allow a player to engage in the math and spacial shenanigans of regular Agricola without having to learn all those cards to be competitive. This may turn out to be a great gateway to Agricola, and it may be very flat without the cards. It clearly won't replace Agricola for me, but if the choice is between a game of this complexity or no game at all*, this could work.

*I do own Loyang, and despite the smaller number of cards and somewhat simpler scoring, my non-gamer friends are just as unwilling to learn it as they are Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
When I first heard the premise, I thought it would be a meat-eating version of Agricola. Which, as a vegetarian, was not all that appealing, but seemed like it could make for a good game.

But then I read the rules and see that not only did they leave out the most interesting part of Agricola (grain harvesting and baking), but they also left out the ovens. It's all about breeding and *collecting* animals, not eating them.

Animal breeding doesn't sound exciting to me, so I can probably skip this one. I'll wait for a light Agricola-themed game that's all about grain and baking bread. Surely one must be in the works.

Oh yes, grain and baking bread sounds like a much more exciting theme than animal breeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:

Oh yes, grain and baking bread sounds like a much more exciting theme than animal breeding.

Perhaps Uwe should have compromised and made the game about baking animal cookies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:

In an expansion maybe? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

At the Gates of Loyang is about sowing and harvesting vegetables. It's not quite grain and bread but close enough that I don't think there's really space for another game that similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting so far, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the huge disappointment with Ora et Labora production I am not sure I want to get my hopes up for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
After the huge disappointment with Ora et Labora production I am not sure I want to get my hopes up for this one.

I agree completely, though you have to be careful about critical comments on OEL in any way, shape, or form here on BGG. I withdrew from any discussions on the OEL page after the sheer volume of hateful replies I got to concerns I had about component quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
How about you guys just don't give a rat's ass about hateful comments? It's not like they're gonna come and kill you in your sleep later that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
England
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'll be picking this one up. I enjoyed Agricola but found the set up a and tear down a bit of drag, especially as I mostly played it 2 player anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:

Both copies I opened so far are flawless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:

Tell me about it. Bought Ora & Labora 3+ weeks ago and more than half the components were defective. Still waiting to hear back from customer service. Not sure when I'll actually ever get to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am hoping this game will be (and suspect what the designer is going for), is a 2p Agricola-esque game that has the same tight-competition for action spaces found in the 4-5p Agricola game (But largely absent in the 2p Agricola game).

After reading the rules, I believe this game will be tight and provide a similar brain-burner as in Agricola. I know a lot of people been calling this Agricola-light, but I don't think the designers were trying to make a light/kiddie-version of agricola... although it certainly will be less-overwhelming for novice gamers, as they aren't bombarded with all the choices found in the cards.

That being said, what worries me is the lack of starting-board variability. I feel like the games may play very similarly each time. Still going to pre-order it... just worried that the lack of randomness may make this game short-lived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
tkzubaran wrote:

Tell me about it. Bought Ora & Labora 3+ weeks ago and more than half the components were defective. Still waiting to hear back from customer service. Not sure when I'll actually ever get to play the game.

That game was on my "buy" list until I read about all the component issues. Hopefully they will make things right with the re-print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb

BaBang wrote:
What I am hoping this game will be (and suspect what the designer is going for), is a 2p Agricola-esque game that has the same tight-competition for action spaces found in the 4-5p Agricola game (But largely absent in the 2p Agricola game).

After reading the rules, I believe this game will be tight and provide a similar brain-burner as in Agricola. I know a lot of people been calling this Agricola-light, but I don't think the designers were trying to make a light/kiddie-version of agricola... although it certainly will be less-overwhelming for novice gamers, as they aren't bombarded with all the choices found in the cards.

That being said, what worries me is the lack of starting-board variability. I feel like the games may play very similarly each time. Still going to pre-order it... just worried that the lack of randomness may make this game short-lived.

After having played a handful games, I can tell you that competition is not quite as tight as in 4p Agricola. I've found many situations where I could choose between plan A and plan B, depending on what my opponent would do. Which is not to say that there aren't situations where both of you want the same stack of animals or take an extension along with three or four borders...

I'm not too worried about lack of starting-board variability, though. Every game I played was quite different from the others; there are quite a few options you can go for at the beginning (pastures vs. stables, wood vs. stone, which animals to take first, ...), and so far I have no clue which one is best. Rather I'm inclined to say that I'm confident that it's all pretty well balanced. :-)

After all, think of chess... no variability in the board setup whatsoever. It's all about two players trying to read each other's minds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered this one to play with my girlfriend. I think she will love the theme and the animeeples and the puzzly aspect of building her farm.

It might serve as an introduction to Agricola as well, though I don't know if she would like slaughtering her animals for food...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
How about you guys just don't give a rat's ass about hateful comments? It's not like they're gonna come and kill you in your sleep later that night.

I think the bigger problem is that those types of replies stifle any of the meaningful conversation you might have had. It's not that they hurt everyone personally but it just makes the topic not worth discussing with that particular crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.