Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought this game back in 2008, nowhere on the box did it say LCG. Don't get me wrong, LCGs are all well and good; however, after I spent hundreds of dollars ensuring a complete set of Star Wars Customizable Card Game, I vowed never to invest in another CCG. Now, I'll admit 'Gric isn't a CCG, but it is quickly turning into a LCG.

There I was, minding my own business wandering around a game store during my lunch break today. While they had a couple of games I wasn't expecting them to have (including Upon a Salty Ocean), I was behaving myself. Then, just before I walk out, I make one more fateful turn and there in front of me are the World Championship Deck and the NL Deck...

tsk, tsk

Of course I bought them and now I have to wait until I can convince the UGOI to come over to my place to play.

At this point, I have the base game, the Gamer's Deck, the Goody Box (technically my gf's), the Fairy Deck, the NL Deck, and the World Championship Deck (not to mention the one true expansion: FoTM).

I just think that with the next printing of 'Gric, they need to add LCG to the cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know - even with all these card expansions (of which I am guilty of purchasing most of them, and the two latest decks are on my list as soon as they appear in my FLGS), Agricola doesn't feel like an LCG to me. These decks add variety, sure, but I feel there is little to miss out on by playing with the base EIK decks. I will say that certain cards in the G-deck make eating vegitables more viable, but other than that, there's no real strategic advantage to be gained by purchasing additional decks.

edit: on a side note, I'm waiting to see some replacements to the round cards one day. Build 1 Room and/or Family Growth FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
I don't know - even with all these card expansions (of which I am guilty of purchasing most of them, and the two latest decks are on my list as soon as they appear in my FLGS), Agricola doesn't feel like an LCG to me. These decks add variety, sure, but I feel there is little to miss out on by playing with the base EIK decks. I will say that certain cards in the G-deck make eating vegitables more viable, but other than that, there's no real strategic advantage to be gained by purchasing additional decks.

edit: on a side note, I'm waiting to see some replacements to the round cards one day. Build 1 Room and/or Family Growth FTW!

I was being a little tongue-in-cheeck with the post; however, it's the nature of being a completionist that drives me to 'get it all." I agree that the additional decks don't add anything to the EIK decks beyond some variety, but I still have to add them... and with well over a hundred plays of 'Gric, a little variety is nice.

That said, I think I'll probably be keeping both decks separate and playing them by themselves rather than mixing them into the EIK + Gamer's deck. The WC deck looks like it is tailor-made to be played stand-alone and (just looking at the NL cards), the NL deck looks like it may be a bit strong/antagonistic so that it may be best to play that deck by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos // Abdullah Ibrahim: African Sun // Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra: Boulevard de L'Independance
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game becomes as popular as Agricola, expansions are inevitable. Publishers would be leaving money on the table if they didn't follow up on hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos // Abdullah Ibrahim: African Sun // Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra: Boulevard de L'Independance
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Don't buy Carcassonne.

I did initially, but replaced it with Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. That's the perfect solution for people like me, who have some interest in the game, but don't want expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I was being a little tongue-in-cheeck with the post; however, it's the nature of being a completionist that drives me to 'get it all."

I'm a completionist with most other expansions for games but I never had any desire to buy any of the extra decks for Agricola. They just seemed too goofy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

I'm a completionist with most other expansions for games but I never had any desire to buy any of the extra decks for Agricola. They just seemed too goofy.

Some are and some aren't. The new World Championship deck, for example, was obviously made with the intent to be highly competitive (and not goofy)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
galfridus wrote:
Don't buy Carcassonne.
Or Dominion, for that matter, which always felt much more collectible-y to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Don't buy Carcassonne.

I did but I was able to stop after Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. Of course, I don't play Carc nearly as often as 'Gric so variety isn't as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
If a game becomes as popular as Agricola, expansions are inevitable. Publishers would be leaving money on the table if they didn't follow up on hits.

I disagree. Of the top 10, 3 have a bunch of expansions ('Gric, Power Grid, and Dominion) -- actually it's Dominion: Intrigue that's #9) but the other 7 have either one expansion (Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Caylus?) or none (Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages, and Brass)*.

Not complaining about it; just finding it curious.

*Eclipse is too new to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, all I know is I needed a drool cup to get through this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
No Gric is complete without the Agricola: Ö-Deck.

It's like playing Magic without a Black Lotus! Ridiculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the animeeples and the alternate player boards, no one has mentioned them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
When I bought this game back in 2008, nowhere on the box did it say LCG.

If I could give you 2 thumbs, I would.

Yeah yeah, I'm silly and I should "stop caring about expansions if you don't want them, they don't distract from the game if you don't have them" and so on and so on.

However, I can't shake the sentiment that my base box of Agricola nowadays feels like I have a Magic starter deck. And this post is about me. So yeah, I also hate the endless card expansions. Fun for those who have the time to spend with the game. Less fun for those who are completionists deep down.

I still play my copy but I've started turning down suggestions for Agricola, because I don't know what it is anymore. I don't know what cards they have and if I am supposed to know the existance of some whatever card that does something weird. It's like I have to relearn the game everytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my set of 'gric in an auction and it included a few expansion decks. I'm yet to use any of them. When teaching someone new, I generally use just E, and if people are more experienced, they're happy with EIK.

I'd make this complaint more about Dominion, which I feel like I'm hitting (or already hit) a wall on. The expansions are fun, but man, it's to the point where I just don't know if I really need any more of that.

(and Carc, I just got a couple of basics and left it at that, and have been happy with it, and Power Grid, probably my fav game right now, I have 2 extra maps, one was won in a tourney, the other was a throw-in to bump me over $100 on a CSI order)

My point is, this isn't Pokemon. You don't gotta catch em all. Get whatever's fun, leave the rest alone. Read what cards do online before investing, and if they're not what you want, then don't get them.

The best way to show companies you don't want them to keep releasing expansions is to not buy the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
sybrwookie wrote:
I'd make this complaint more about Dominion, which I feel like I'm hitting (or already hit) a wall on. The expansions are fun, but man, it's to the point where I just don't know if I really need any more of that.

Can't disagree. I have stopped playing Dominion when on cons, because it's learning the game all over again.

sybrwookie wrote:
My point is, this isn't Pokemon. You don't gotta catch em all. Get whatever's fun, leave the rest alone. Read what cards do online before investing, and if they're not what you want, then don't get them.

Sure, but it's about playing the game when it's not your copy too. I've come to the point where I will decline an invitation to play Dominion (or Agricola) but accept an invitation for the Shrine Maiden retheme (or "Agricola let's just play the family game"), only because the Shrine Maiden retheme has fewer cards to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Hanes

Dayton
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I don't mind Gric becoming a LCG at all.

After all, I know that either you or Geoff will pick them up, so I will get the opportunity of playing all the new decks without having to drop a dime! Isn't that awfully convenient for me? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Don't buy Carcassonne.

I just bought the Big Box, enough variety for me.

I am somewhat a completionist, and it drives me mad when new things come out that don't really add all that much to a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
Singapore
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Butterfly0038"]When I bought this game back in 2008, nowhere on the box did it say LCG. [q]
Of course, bamck in 2008 it really wasn't - the good expansions hadn't come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.