Hide
8 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Endgame Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy M
msg tools
Hi all, I just started playing PowerGrid and have been looking for an answer to my question regarding the endgame on the forums but have not found it yet. Hopefully you can help.

My friends and I have been playing with 3 players, so the endgame is triggered by the 17th city built by any player. The first time I played, I had overinvested in power plants so I had capacity to power 19 cities. If I had been at 16 cities and was able to build 3 cities on one turn and had the resources to power all 19, would I beat the other players if they had only powered 17? Or is 17 the maximum number of cities you can build?

The strategic implication would be that obviously I would not want to invest in being able to power any more than 17 cities and would not want to build more than 17 if that is the ultimate cap and would rather hang on to the cash in case of a tie for most powered cities at the end.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build over the endgame trigger number of cities there is not a limit on your city building, and yes it's whoever can power the most cities at game end that is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Really, there should be weekdays, weekends, and cuddle days.
badge
You're not fooling me, because I can see the way you shake and shiver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the end game condition, whoever powers the most cities on the last turn wins (with cash as a tiebreaker).

So had you connected to all 19 cities and powered them all on the last turn, you'd've legally defeated your opponents at 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glasson
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends as soon as one player has build the required number of cities; for 3 players that is 17.

At the end of the round, whoever powers the most cities wins. Note that that may be less than 17, though rarely is.

In other words, it doesn't matter who builds the most cities, it's purely who powers the most on the last turn and that may be greater than 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
jglasson wrote:
At the end of the round, whoever powers the most cities wins. Note that that may be less than 17, though rarely is.
Not all that rare for the winner to power less than 17 cities. I'd say in my games, maybe 20% end with nobody powering the game-ending limit? It can happen for two reasons in my experience:

1) Somebody has the highest capacity (but under 17), and enough cash to buy their 17th substation, so they buy their 17th city without being able to power it then win the game. This happens when the big plants are rare and/or efficient medium-sized plants come out early in the game, giving everybody lots of cash but not so much capacity.

2) A big fuel shortage hits right on the last turn of the game.

#1 is more common I think, but I have seen #2 leave nobody able to power 17 cities even though somebody had that many substations as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also fairly common for someone to win by powering more cities than the endgame condition. If you've got greater capacity but less cash than an opponent in contention, you'll want to build up to your max capacity to avoid the cash tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Andy, please read Power Grid FAQ, which has the answer to your question as well as many more common beginner questions about Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is helpful, too! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.