Subject: Traffic (fewer people posting?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekletion [+] [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, what has subforum traffic been since the split into three parts? Has it increased, decreased or stayed about the same?

When we did the split, I thought it was with the assumption we would revisit the issue after a couple of months and see what we thought.

Is that still a live option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Conway
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes... Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmb
The sub forums don't make any more sense to me now then they did during their unveiling. For instance, history talk in Historical Context, but the pinned history book threads are in General.

Then again, I'm pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Neopeius wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what has subforum traffic been since the split into three parts? Has it increased, decreased or stayed about the same?

When we did the split, I thought it was with the assumption we would revisit the issue after a couple of months and see what we thought.

I hope so. Because traffic has been noticeably down ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
BGG? Stick a fork in it! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Did someone just say "Traffic" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:

It's the start of spring in North America and Europe.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people really do take this time to get away from the computer and do things like yard work, talk to their neighbours, chase girls, etc., especially when the snow melts and the weather gets warmer.

It's no mystery, except to those who want to proclaim the death of something that has no signs of dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just asking. Someone must have stats on this sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Neopeius wrote:

Doroshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Neopeius wrote:
My sense of it is that traffic has dropped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
I'm just asking.

I'm just answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Neopeius wrote:
My sense of it is that traffic has dropped off.

Certainly the interesting traffic has dropped off....too many silly polls.
Not enough AAR's or discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read any of the wargame subforums since it all got split up. I only access whatever is visible on www.boardgamegeek.com/wargames

No idea how traffic is on those subforums (History, and / or whatever else is over there).

This thread just made me remember why the wargame section has seemed so... empty... lately.

Here's hoping it gets recombined (or at least all visible from the /wargames page) again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
It's the start of spring in North America and Europe.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people really do take this time to get away from the computer and do things like yard work, talk to their neighbours, chase girls, etc., especially when the snow melts and the weather gets warmer.

It's no mystery, except to those who want to proclaim the death of something that has no signs of dying.

Does the snow ever melt in Canada?

They just spin the dial around here for weather: last Tuesday we got 3" of snow, tomorrow it should hit 80.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, how hard is it to find the subforums, even for a newcomer? You click on a forum showing on the front page, and anyone with a modicum of experience with Internet forums should notice the menu at top: "wargames>> forums>> general".

That clearly suggests there are wargames forums other than "general." So you click on "forums" and -- viola! -- there are "awol" and "historical context."

I don't want to get into the debate on whether the subforums are needed; I'm just pointing out they're not hard to find and anyone curious enough to click on a wargames topic on the front page should have no problem discovering "awol" and "historical context."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
No, actually, they are.

It was months before I realized that there was a dropdown to the "Wargames" button on the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:

?????????????? its been split????? Where are the other parts????

I thought that something was missing: I can't believe I am saying this but I was wondering where those long discussions about historical stuff from sphere and that russian(?) dude that seem to know everything there is to know about Eastern European History.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had no idea either. Why and when did this happen?

And if this had to be split for some urgent reason, why does the frontpage (which is what I always check) only show the "general" wargaming threads? Can I change that so that it shows all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
dudes,

did you leave BGG wargames for a year??

I have never seen so much blood and gore as when they decided to split up the forums..

Make a quick search and you'l see pile of dead-wargamer threads on the split.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi diddle dee dee. Goddamn. The pirate's life for me.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think it's pretty obvious what happened. I was gone for a month, and you all noticed a void in your forum lives as a result - a dark hole that needed to be filled with my wondrous presence.

Fear not, for I am here again. See that microbadge in the middle? You know what to do.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the thrill is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Conway
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes... Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

1. Yard work? Wouldn't the game-room, garage, or basement be better suited to play Case Blue?

2. Talk to neighbors? The only thing I need to talk to a neighbor about is which of us is going to make the Weather Determination roll.

3. Chase girls? No thanks, it makes the missus angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I think it has diminished quite a bit. At the very least it has changed a fair amount regarding the number and types of posts, plus a lot of my friends have either left or reduced the number of their posts significantly. In short, it is less interesting to me. I spend a fair amount of my interweb time on CSWS these days.

Oh BGG still have its uses and could pick up again. There are still good threads here sometimes. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
No, actually, they are.

It was months before I realized that there was a dropdown to the "Wargames" button on the front page.

Is there a dropdown? Have to check that, I often forget there are other wargame subdomains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Eden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to have dropped.

My personal reasons for going partially off the grid;

1. Posse Politics.

2. WTF reaction to the forum split , etc. Much has been written.

3. I don't like being hit by the big "D".

4. Now I am a sexist pig...learned that just yesterday.

5. Hey, it is Spring - I am a gardening fool.

6. Work! Oh my, it has been a busy year and more of it coming.

7. A lot of the topics are being repeated...very simple searches would find the old ones. No need to contribute.

8. Where do I post now?

General, AWOL, Historical Context, social.consimworld.com?

Dilution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
[...]I have no interest in reading 'Historical Context' since it is no different than the zillion other armchair historian forums [...]

To be fair, I've never met a historian who wasn't mostly sedentary. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.