Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekletion [+] [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, I was trying to decide whether a post should be "general" or "historical context". I soon realized that no one apparently sees the "historical context" posts (hell I had trouble finding one I had posted). So, if you want it read, post it to "general"; if you need to practice typing, post it to "historical context".

As far as I can tell, "AWOL" is a place that the moderator moves posts to bury them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
As far as I can tell, "AWOL" is a place that the moderator moves posts to bury them.

LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
mwindsor wrote:
At first, I was trying to decide whether a post should be "general" or "historical context". I soon realized that no one apparently sees the "historical context" posts (hell I had trouble finding one I had posted). So, if you want it read, post it to "general"; if you need to practice typing, post it to "historical context".

What a farce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
mwindsor wrote:
Humourous, but true in practice.

Quote:
I can't recall the last thread I moved to AWOL, but it had nothing to do with any desire to bury anything. Indeed, I've gone out of my way to not move things because the promised new UI is vaporware.

I'll reiterate - post away in general. If it's a problem it can be moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
mwindsor wrote:

Quote:
I can't recall the last thread I moved to AWOL, but it had nothing to do with any desire to bury anything. Indeed, I've gone out of my way to not move things because the promised new UI is vaporware.

Thanks, Leroy. So, is there the possibility of re-merging the fora? Will that decision be influenced by the opinions of the forum users?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
mwindsor wrote:

Quote:

Thanks, Leroy. So, is there the possibility of re-merging the fora? Will that decision be influenced by the opinions of the forum users?

I think rather than re-merging the fora, for the time, being, the recommended practice is to post whatever the heck you want in "General" just like the good old days. When the hypothetical new, improved UI exists then the other sub-forums may perhaps be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
mcszarka wrote:
I think rather than re-merging the fora, for the time, being, the recommended practice is to post whatever the heck you want in "General" just like the good old days. When the hypothetical new, improved UI exists then the other sub-forums may perhaps be useful.
Well stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
mcszarka wrote:
Well stated.

I understand that view, but I feel that my original question, which I've now asked twice, has been sidestepped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Neopeius wrote:
I understand that view, but I feel that my original question, which I've now asked twice, has been sidestepped.

Short answer - I don't know.

Neopeius wrote:
So, is there the possibility of re-merging the fora? Will that decision be influenced by the opinions of the forum users?

Slightly longer answer - if the problem (as I understand it) is that the owners of the site want to have a "gaming content" view on the (default) front page, then the solution is that we need a forum explicitly intended for the wargamers to be our social space, and that space is not (by that definition) the Wargames/General space.

I've been trying to come up with ideas (without success so far). I proposed a BGG Community (cf. Geek of the Week, Feel the Love), and was turned down flat.

I'm thinking an "Everything Else" forum (Chit Chat, RSP, Beatnik Coffee House) forum would be a viable solution as you can custom put that module on your front page in the current interface, and would be definition be a social space. I haven't pitched that yet - what do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Leroy. That's a good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Slightly longer answer - if the problem (as I understand it) is that the owners of the site want to have a "gaming content" view on the (default) front page, then the solution is that we need a forum explicitly intended for the wargamers to be our social space, and that space is not (by that definition) the Wargames/General space.

I've been trying to come up with ideas (without success so far). I proposed a BGG Community (cf. Geek of the Week, Feel the Love), and was turned down flat.

I'm thinking an "Everything Else" forum (Chit Chat, RSP, Beatnik Coffee House) forum would be a viable solution as you can custom put that module on your front page in the current interface, and would be definition be a social space. I haven't pitched that yet - what do you guys think?

I think it's a good idea, but based on how the site owners have apparently treated your other suggestions ('turned down flat'), as well as the fact that it seems like what they wanted to happen has happened (eg less 'socializing' from the wargames forum visible on the front page) do you think they're any more likely to go for your current good idea than they were the ones they've already shot down?

Still, run it up the flagpole. Their response should be illuminating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:
I am personally placing a hundred- bounty on the head of Wil....

ahhh screw it

Oh oh Hockey Goon incentive payment program... I want that 100 gg ... my attitude's right.

Nothing personal WH - but I just love a good Slapshot reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
southern_cross_116 wrote:

"We're puttin on the foil, coach."

Old time hockey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't place a bounty on a man's head!!!

I just did. - Points to phone -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:
It's no mystery, except to those who want to proclaim the death of something that has no signs of dying.

I agree with you that it's not dying. But it is a hell of a lot less interesting. The biggest loss being historical discussions interwoven with the wargaming discussions. I have no interest in reading 'Historical Context' since it is no different than the zillion other armchair historian forums out there. However, combine the armchair generals with the armchair historians and you've got something pretty interesting. That's what's missing.

That's what I've been trying to put into words. That's the difference!

Bull's Eye!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

This corner of BGG is whatever we choose to make of it.

Well, no, it isn't.

It was what we made of it and it was working.

Then it was changed for reasons that do not appear to have any relevance to the curent outcome.

And now it doesn't work.

That's the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things have returned to how they were five or six years ago: Consimworld is the wargamer chat forum, and BGG is the wargame information database. Perhaps it's a natural division.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Rob Doupe wrote:
Things have returned to how they were five or six years ago: Consimworld is the wargamer chat forum, and BGG is the wargame information forum. Perhaps it's a natural division.

???????????

????
?

??

Have you been to CSW? Or are you meaning social.csw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawn_cherri wrote:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no such thing as a popular user or group in wargaming, that concept is a confined to the tiny population here on BGG that just so happens to plays wargames, they don't represent anything or anybody but a small insignificant over-loud clan.
Go post on CSW and tell them how popular you are here laugh

Quote:
something is missing

I am back.....and it is about to get a whole lot more fun! meeple

Yeah- and here I thought the site was actually about the gaming... silly me.

Rofl... who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flintlocklaser wrote:
southern_cross_116 wrote:

"We're puttin on the foil, coach."

Old time hockey!

Yeah well if you can think of that guy Eddie Shore sent you while you were coaching in Omaha ... the guy who liked to play in the penalty box... what was that guy's name???

I guess playing with their toys might not be so bad-- are they brothers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
Salo sila wrote:

To be fair, I've never met a historian who wasn't mostly sedentary. . .

It's true, I'm sad to say. Not just historians; most of them there social scientists are downright wussified... all of 'em except us here anthropologists. We're the cussin' (at undergrads), fightin' (for tenure), shootin' (digital photographs), drug takin' (ayahuasca counts!), jungle-trompin', furrin' language speakin', pith-helmet-wearin' bad boys of the social sciences! Yeeeeehaw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
thumbsup

One of my friends is an anthropologist. He spent years in Africa, until the political climate forced him to flee the country, was nearly stoned in Haiti, and became the personal driver for the leader of a cult that practiced nude baptism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
tc237 wrote:
I am personally placing a hundred- bounty on the head of Wil....

ahhh screw it

It's a puppet head, potentially vintage. Good eBay potential. Go for 200 GG.

No puppetist posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Eden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we were to have one Forum attached to the General forum for moving "bad" threads, I can think of just one name:

The Dump
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you guys have mentioned it... the active traffic has gone way down. I just noticed that Abstract Games & Thematic Game & Customizable Games Sub-Forum comments are competing with the War Games now on the front page Sub-Forum Listing. Whereas before the changes, the Wargaming responses are so voluminous that these smaller, less active sub-forums get pushed down the list very quickly.

At the moment of typing this there are 6 out of 20 items on the Sub-Forum List that isn't war games. Which I don't remember seeing in 5 years.

(Yes, I know I can filter in only wargame threads but I don't usually because I am interested in these other sub-forums as well.)

This could only mean that there is way less wargaming activity than before. There is no upside to any of this either!

This is so sad. cry

Admin Roger, please revert things back to the way they were before its too late and we lose even more interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.