Canada
Outremont
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

In our last game, the following situation arose:
The West Autralia railway had two trains: a 5+ and a 2E. it sold the 5+ to the Victorian Railway during the VR's OR. Now, when the WA's OR turn came around, it only had the 2E, which is not considered to be a train for the purpose of train limits AND the purpose of having a train (meaning that it would have to buy a train at the end of its turn). Since it was three spaces away from the Receivership zone AND it was 40L short of being able to buy a 8 train, it was important for it to run the 2E.
The question that came up was whether or not it was allowed to run since, according to the 2E exception rules (doesn't count against limit and doesn't count as a train) it's not really a train and you need a train to operate.
We rules that it should be able to run since it doesn't specifically state that it cannot run if it is the only train, but i'd like an "official" answer, if possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always run the Ghan, as long as you have a route to Alice Springs.

In fact, it's quite possible for two companies to pay out (and increase in stock value) for the rest of the game if they both have Ghans and they have one permanent train, which they sell back and forth and never actually run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Stock movement is controlled by whether the company pays a dividend or not, not by whether the company is obligated to buy or already has a train or not (though the two are often related). In this case the company runs the Ghan to Alice Springs (the only legal run for a Ghan -- I assume it had such a route), pays a dividend, moves the stock price forwards, and then discovers that it is forced to buy a train and does so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Stock movement is controlled by whether the company pays a dividend or not, not by whether the company is obligated to buy or already has a train or not (though the two are often related). In this case the company runs the Ghan to Alice Springs (the only legal run for a Ghan -- I assume it had such a route), pays a dividend, moves the stock price forwards, and then discovers that it is forced to buy a train and does so.

We discovered this during recent play and found it made for a highly amusing endgame possibility. One player was not certain he would be able to get permanent trains for all of his public companies, so he bought 2E's (and made sure he had runs) for all of them, with plans to simply swap what permanent trains he could back and forth as companies operated.

Makes for an interestingly flexible endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.