$10.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Seeking advice on adding a game to the BGG database. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

This is probably a weird request, but I think it still fits loosely into Recommendations.

My friends and I play a game that we call "Game of Luck". I was looking for the game on BGG to see if someone else played it, and then I could link a session report to that game.
Problem is, the game requires nothing except a pair of dice (and that's not even a strict requirement) and some flexible rules, so other players might call this all sorts of things.

"Game of Luck" involves rolling dice for some predetermined pattern to select a player who *loses* and must perform an act - usually embarrassing or eating something gross! We have mixed in Catan alot to replace the dice, with the loser of the game 'eating'. There's a few more basic rules, including how to end the game, roll-offs in the event of ties, etc.

It some ways "Game of Luck" wouldn't even qualify as a "Boardgame" but I know that Bridge and 500 and other games with no special components get on the list all the time.

So enough background, my question is really this: Should I add a new game to the Database?

I have a feeling our rules are unique, but the basic premise (drawing straws to perform a 'dare') is almost certainly NOT unique.

let me know folks. I look forward to your input.

Matt

P.S If there's a better place to post this, let me know, and maybe a mod can be contacted to move it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone?

is this too hard to answer? confusing? reads like SPAM?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the reason no one is answering you is because what you have described is not so much a "game" as an "activity". There's plenty of philosophical discussion about such semantics, but it's like saying, "hey, why isn't the 'hokey pokey' listed as a game?" You see what I mean?

Bridge and 500 other games (as you put it) indeed have no special components, per se, but they have rules sets that have been around for a while. And while I've never heard of this game you speak of "Game of Luck", I'm fairly certain that the rules have not been 1) standardized 2) standardized to the degree that a wide range of people are aware of them (some allowances for minor derivations) or 3) popular.

I know that Tic-Tac-Toe is listed - and that doesn't even require a board, as you can just use pencil and paper - however, the rules have since been long established, and everyone knows how to play it. I think a certain amount or measurable degree of familiarization is required, perhaps. But when that moment becomes official, I couldn't tell you.

I guess you could always try to put it into BGG and see if it sticks...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
I suspect that the reason no one is answering you is because what you have described is not so much a "game" as an "activity".

OK. so do you mean that people wouldn't classify it as a game, so they don't know what to say?

shouldn't those people let me know that it doesn't qualify in their opinion. That's *exactly* why I started this thread.

Maybe I should make a poll instead, to try and capture some opinion even if it becomes binary. (not as interesting as thoughts and comments)

thanks for the thoughts pac.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I hear what you're saying, and I'm not saying that you're idea isn't valid, I'm only saying why I think no one's responded.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's what I thought.
anyway.. unfortunately I can't make people tell me what they think.

I'm just gonna go with it and see what happens. Does someone moderate the game entries or what?

I can see, like you said, that most "unpublished" or boxless and componentless games come from austerity.
We couldn't just have everyone post their made up games all the time. Or could we? hmm!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:


I'm just gonna go with it and see what happens. Does someone moderate the game entries or what?


I really couldn't tell you that either, I'm afraid. You just sounded so 'lonely' with all your "where is everyone?" that I didn't want to leave you hanging...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
So enough background, my question is really this: Should I add a new game to the Database?

I'd say no - Kevin's description as an 'activity' is pretty accurate. I think most people have messed around with dice or whatever odds and ends come to hand, and that could in a loose sense be termed playing a game.

This is a database for games in a more formal sense, however. Games listed here have published rules, for one thing. The game entry has fields for Designer, Artist, Publisher, Year Published, etc. It doesn't sound like your game has that level of formality.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
balzi wrote:
So enough background, my question is really this: Should I add a new game to the Database?

I'd say no - Kevin's description as an 'activity' is pretty accurate. I think most people have messed around with dice or whatever odds and ends come to hand, and that could in a loose sense be termed playing a game.

This is a database for games in a more formal sense, however. Games listed here have published rules, for one thing. The game entry has fields for Designer, Artist, Publisher, Year Published, etc. It doesn't sound like your game has that level of formality.


Agreed on one hand (and why I paused for comment)..

but on the other, there's plenty of games from history that had no voice until someone added them. Our game will not ever get it's own box so publishing is a foolish notion, but to have formal rules would be one result of listing on BGG. Chicken or the egg anyone?!

Surely there's plenty of games where Designer is the only applicable field?
It just seems pedantic to disqualify something because it can't be neatly mapped onto the BGG fields and attributes.

Maybe it shouldn't be in there, but in my opinion, that's a weak argument. sorry!

Matt


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

I really couldn't tell you that either, I'm afraid. You just sounded so 'lonely' with all your "where is everyone?" that I didn't want to leave you hanging...


How extremely sensitive of you! blush laugh

P.S Did you notice I edited out that part from my earlier post, coz it sounded so timid and sooky.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Agreed on one hand (and why I paused for comment)..

but on the other, there's plenty of games from history that had no voice until someone added them.

Until somebody added them? Name a couple with unpublished rules that are in the database. Some examples would make your case stronger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

I really couldn't tell you that either, I'm afraid. You just sounded so 'lonely' with all your "where is everyone?" that I didn't want to leave you hanging...


How extremely sensitive of you! blush laugh

P.S Did you notice I edited out that part from my earlier post, coz it sounded so timid and sooky.


Meh, I do what I can. modest

It seems the opinions are somewhat divided...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

It seems the opinions are somewhat divided...


You are very generous -- the division is between me and everyone else cry

@ Sphere - just grabbing some examples. pacman actually gave me some idea's on this.

edit: examples
Tic-Tac-Toe
Marbles
Threes
Mia
Fan Tan
One-O-Five
The Dictionary Game

I'm thinking that you might dismiss the public-domain games, but ours is similar apart from the major ingredients of popularity and age.

The dictionary game is something I used to play that a friend's dad made up, but someone obviously published it later with some formal 'house-rules'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

It seems the opinions are somewhat divided...


You are very generous -- the division is between me and everyone else cry

@ Sphere - just grabbing some examples. pacman actually gave me some idea's on this.

edit: examples
Tic-Tac-Toe
Marbles
Threes
Mia
Fan Tan
One-O-Five
The Dictionary Game

I'm thinking that you might dismiss the public-domain games, but ours is similar apart from the major ingredients of popularity and age.

The dictionary game is something I used to play that a friend's dad made up, but someone obviously published it later with some formal 'house-rules'.

The difference as I see it is that I can find published rules for those other games in various books. You say yours hasn't been published anywhere. If you're determined to proceed, you might look into web publishing at the minimum. I believe that you should publish (in whatever form) first, and only then list the game. The description so far sounds more like a half baked idea than a formal game.

But that's just my personal reaction - I have no strong feelings on the matter. The game you describe holds no interest for me, published or not. I decided to share my thoughts after reading this:

balzi wrote:
pacman88k wrote:
I suspect that the reason no one is answering you is because what you have described is not so much a "game" as an "activity".

OK. so do you mean that people wouldn't classify it as a game, so they don't know what to say?

shouldn't those people let me know that it doesn't qualify in their opinion. That's *exactly* why I started this thread.

Kevin helped by contributing, and I figured I would as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys for your thoughts.
I hope i didn't sound mad at you or curt in my replies.
I was just trying to nail down any reasons for not listing it.

I have to agree, that most games on BGG will have rules published BEFORE listing on BGG, not have their rules listed ON BGG

In other news, the Poll is unanimous (with only 9 votes though). The one positive was from me, because it made me vote to see the results.
So the community has spoken and world domination fame and fortune sharing the love will have to wait.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.