Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Simpson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be a popular topic here, one I've even asked myself. However, this time I'm looking for recs for me and a gaming buddy, and they don't have to be of the epic variety but they do have to be available at Boards n Bits or CSI (or will be available in the next month).

Here are some games we've enjoyed (I own unless noted):

Twilight Struggle: Easy to learn, great decisions, awesome theme, and it's in the sweet spot for time (about 2 hours for us)

A Few Acres of Snow: Love the theme and decisions were fun for awhile, seems like we've played it out a bit though. The fact I'm burnt out on this game is one reason I'm looking for another 2 player

Agricola: Plays great with two, love the fact you never feel like if you only had ONE more turn oh how great your farm would be.

Hannibal Rome vs Carthage: Friend that lives out of state has this, enjoy it.

Tigris and Euphrates: I like it better with more but it's still fun with 2.

Race for the Galaxy

Games I'm thinking about purchasing (definitely getting Eclipse)

Through the Ages: Concerned about the length, but the 2 player epic game highly recommended it

Caylus: Definitely a contender, I've read it plays well with two. Does it take out some of tension with the provost though since it's zero-sum with two players?

Le Havre: Love Agricola, but is different enough from Agricola to own. Also Agricola of the games I mentioned my gaming partner probably likes Agricola the least.

Command and Colors Ancients: Continuing on the wargame theme.

1960: Have Twilight Struggle, so I'd probably only get this because the theme is interesting.

Any other recommendations along these lines would be appreciated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen

Have you got a max length in mind? You only mentioned that you were concerned about Through the Ages length.

In the meantime, I'd like to recommend War of the Ring (first edition). It's 3-4 hours to play so the might concern you, and I do have a disclaimer, that I'm a LotR fan, so it won't appeal to others in the same way.

Ora et Labora is also there as a 'new' Agricola engined game (I've heard anyway). Uwe Rosenberg has a 5 games in that series I believe.
d10-1Agricola
d10-2Le Havre
d10-3At the Gates of Loyang
d10-4Merkator
d10-5Ora et Labora

don't quote me on that.

Matt

edit: Added in the 4th game Merkator - though I'm not 100% sure it's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Lorenz
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Try Castles of Burgundy. Plays well with 2. Even if you aren't matched well with your opponent, the point swings can make you feel like you're doing great whether or not you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Simpson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 3 hours is the max I can go, sweet spot is around 2 hours.

I think we play slightly quicker than average, Twilight Struggle tops out at about 2 hours for us.

I'd love to try War of the Ring, it looks great but I guess the around 4 hour playtime turned me off from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone works well for 2 players, I haven't played advance yet but it seems to be a good upgrade.

Cyclades is OK with 2, though I think it will be better with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:
I'd say 3 hours is the max I can go, sweet spot is around 2 hours.

I think we play slightly quicker than average, Twilight Struggle tops out at about 2 hours for us.

I'd love to try War of the Ring, it looks great but I guess the around 4 hour playtime turned me off from it.

It probably is still at least 3 when you get used to it, but don't take my word for it. I've only played it once. So a newbie 4 hours?? mmm, hard to say how accurate that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
If you liked Agricola not only because of the theme you should love Le Havre - I had a luck to discover Uwe Rosenbergs games in order: Agricola, Ora et Labora and Le Havre, and each next game felt better than the previous. YMMV though. Oh - and it has 2 game length variants longer (2h for 2p) and shorter (less than 1h).

Also if you like Twilight Struggle and are into wargames GMT has a mix in form of Combat Commander: Europe (or CC: Pacific).

I love Cyclades but I cant recommend them as 2p game - it starts with 3 and gets really fun with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a superb 2p wargame. It feels thematic and comes in around 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VALIS13 wrote:
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a superb 2p wargame. It feels thematic and comes in around 2 hours.

+1 for this!

Too bad Treefrog's free shipping sale is over, or else you could have picked up this gem: Gettysburg which is also a superb warro. Don't know if you can get it easily on your side of the pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth War on Terror might fit the bill well. It feels a lot different then Twilight but has similar mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
brindelin wrote:

Caylus: Definitely a contender, I've read it plays well with two. Does it take out some of tension with the provost though since it's zero-sum with two players?

I would say no, it still has plenty of tension. The provost is not as unpredictable as it sometimes can be with more, but it is still very important and something you need to pay close attention to. If you play too conservatively around it, you lose out on the best placement options; but if you play too aggressively/carelessly, you can lose your actions, which can be devastating.

I've played a lot of Caylus 2-player with my wife. At first the provost moved a lot and could be crippling. Later after we figured it out a bit, the provost rarely moved, but the threat of it still very much influenced our play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Innovation. Plays amazing with 2, the game has an amazing sense of progression, and you're always looking for the best way to screw over your opponent so that you can get those cards you need. The game never plays the same way twice and needs multiple plays to begin to form a strategy.

Good review: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/797403/voice-of-experience-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.