Subject: Players wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the second edition printing suffering from delays and the PnP version already in our hands, I would like to try playing by forum.

Here's how it would work:
- Only the Test of Skill and Deck Building/Pure Deck Building/Grand Melee variants would be playable (the standard game and Blood Feud variant use a shared deck, which would be too slow and require too much from a mod; the Draft variant is possible but involves too much setup time, imo).
- Players must randomly number each card in their deck (and redo this if they cycle through their deck or must shuffle cards back in), e.g. 1-50 for the Test of Skill variant. I recommend having the list in a word editor with automated numbering, then using random.org to select a card, move that card to the bottom of the list, then reduce the random range by one and repeat until you have a complete list.
- When drawing cards, players would use custom geekrolls to determine which cards they draw (I can explain that in more detail later).
- The players would need to store on their computer (or sync across multiple devices) their current hand, their numbered deck list and the file containing the PnP cards (contact SBG if you are a kickstarter supporter but don't have a copy).
- A moderator is required. For this reason, it might be best if four players get together to play a tournament, with one player from each game moderating for the other game.
- The mod's role would be fairly small. Their first job would be to receive the numbered card list (and reshuffled decks during the game) from each player (as well as which Champions were chosen, if they are being used), and post them at the end of the game so each player can ensure that the other drew their cards honestly (if they wish). Their second job would be to randomise the 12 Reward cards (this can be done as described above, but will be much faster). When a player wins a Reward card, they roll a custom geekroll. They then send the number to the mod, who informs the player which Reward card they drew. This list can also be posted at the end of the game for players to verify.

Players can use this thread to declare their interest, with games themselves to be held in subsequent threads. Please state the rate at which you can usually play, whether you can be a mod for another game (see above description of mod duties), and your preferences, noting how strongly you prefer them if you like, as follows:
Rate of play: 3+ times per day / Twice per day / Once per day / Less than once per day
Mod another game: Yes/No (see above description of mod duties)
Four player tournament: Yes/No/Don't mind (unless otherwise agreed, two games per player with winners and losers of first games playing off)
Drafting mechanic: Test of Skill (one card of each unit type) / Deck Building (players take turns choosing 10 unit types) / Pure Deck Building (players choose 10 unit types) / Grand Melee (all players in tournament take turns choosing 10 unit types) / Don't mind
Start player mechanic: Coin toss/Emissary of War/Don't mind
Io's Embrace: Yes/No/Don't mind (optional rule, see rulebook p. 7)
Champions: Yes/No/Don't mind

So... Who's interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rate of play: 3+ times per day
Mod another game: Yes
Four player tournament: Yes, but don't mind.
Drafting mechanic: Test of Skill will be the quickest to set up and doesn't require much familiarity with the cards, but otherwise don't mind.
Start player mechanic: Coin toss, but don't mind.
Io's Embrace: Yes, but don't mind.
Champions: No (again, quick and no familiarity required), but don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
If we can hit that bullseye, the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea Dean. I can't play at this time because my home computer is wonky and I don't think I can swing it at work.

But I'm a play-by-forum noob. I'll track a game or two and maybe I can join in after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without spending too much time looking into it, a tool like http://handtracker.heroku.com/ might help with tracking games. Might even get you beyond the need for an referee(albeit with some level of player honesty required) ?

Love the game, but not sure I could commit to more than 5-6 turns a week, as real life is too busy right now, so it'd be evenings only for a turn.

That said, your a Melbournian, I'm a Melbournian ! So maybe a face to face game is in order at some point instead I normally go down to the Eurogames nights at http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga...

Regards,
Ben (-PW-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben,

That looks like a very useful tool, I'll have to check it out.

I know what you mean about real life. I'm on the email list for that boardgames group, but haven't made it along to an event yet. Once Omen arrives we should definitely meet up to play though As per the other thread we spoke in, I'm part of a group of four getting the game, so we might even be able to organise a tournament! I look forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.