Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally fascinating article about over population and 'peak oil' (and related subjects.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/collections/201204/the-world-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Just wondering where they got that data for the graph on page one of human population. Talk about making up the data to fit the curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice they mention Wells, because technology or not we will still need space. No amount of technology will change that. So unless we can break the laws of physics we will eitehr have to expend huge resources to colonise an increasingly limited amount of (totaly useless) land on planets in the slkor system, or use even more resources building huge generation ships that may never find a sduitable home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Just wondering where they got that data for the graph on page one of human population. Talk about making up the data to fit the curve.

Birth rates (they are recorded)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Living rent-free in your head!
badge
mb
Wow! Now that's an article that deserves to be examined for maximizing the alarmism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Wow! Now that's an article that deserves to be examined for maximizing the alarmism!

Yep, it not as if we are already seeing the effe4cts of over population in the third world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brilk wrote:
We should take a cue from all the deer hunters and thin the herd a bit. If you give it enough time, I'm sure you'll develop a taste for long pig. I'm also in favor of life clocks. We have way too many gross oldsters lying around these days.

Be a bit tough and stringy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I think it's making a valid point. Do you think we are a stable, decreasing, or increasing population?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I think it's making a valid point.

I think it's intended to pump up the end times hysteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I think it's making a valid pointr...

Not so much an answer, more of an evasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

So, your comfortable with the human race's current use of resources? We have some kind of infinite supply of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the human population is increasing.

I predict a crash. It will really suck to be in under-developed parts of the world that depend on first world largesse to subsist now. It will suck less in first world countries, but still will not be a picnic.

There are no currently palatable methods to reduce or even stabilize world population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Of course the human population is increasing.

I predict a crash. It will really suck to be in under-developed parts of the world that depend on first world largesse to subsist now. It will suck less in first world countries, but still will not be a picnic.

There are no currently palatable methods to reduce or even stabilize world population.

We could ban longgevity research as a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

So, your comfortable with the human race's current use of resources? We have some kind of infinite supply of them?

We have far more oil lying untapped than we are aware of. We have natural gas resources to keep us going for quite a long time. There's so much here in North America, that we could be the world exporter -- if our legislators would stop preventing it.

Meanwhile, birth rates in the developed world are dropping precipitously. Europe's been below replacement level for quite some time, hasn't it? America's headed that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

We have far more oil lying untapped than we are aware of. We have natural gas resources to keep us going for quite a long time. There's so much here in North America, that we could be the world exporter -- if our legislators would stop preventing it.

Meanwhile, birth rates in the developed world are dropping precipitously. Europe's been below replacement level for quite some time, hasn't it? America's headed that way.

And in the third world populations are rising. So are you in effect saying that as long as the first world is OK thre is no prolblom, a global extensio of 'if I close my curtains the world is fine'?

Are gas and oil infinite resources, that will never run out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

1) I like how you know things that we are not even aware of. That's clever.

2)Europes population is still growing according to this website:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You may enjoy this article on The Myth of Peak Oil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just need another world war. Just think of the economic opportunity and the drop in unemployment across the planet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Which does not manswer the question, is it a finite or infinite source. It does not matter if we have engouh to last untill you and I are long dead. The point is that eventualy these resource will run out, do you agree with that or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

That's population growth which includes immigration. I'm talking about birth rates.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_European_Un...

Quote:
After hitting a historical low of 1.47 children born per female, the total fertility rate of the EU started to increase again, to reach a level of 1.60 in 2008. The positive trend was observed in all member states with the exception of Luxembourg, Malta and Portugal. The largest increases over this period were observed in Bulgaria (from 1.23 children per woman in 2003 to 1.57 in 2009), Slovenia (from 1.20 to 1.53), the Czech Republic (from 1.18 to 1.49) and Lithuania (from 1.26 to 1.55). In 2009, the Member States with the highest fertility rates were Ireland (2.07), France (2.00), the United Kingdom (1.96 in 2008) and Sweden (1.94), all approaching the replacement level of 2.1 children born per female. The lowest rates were observed in Latvia (1.31), Hungary and Portugal (both 1.32) and Germany (1.36). The increasing fertility rate has also been accompanied by an upward trend in the natural increase of the population which is due to the moderate increase of the crude birth rate that reached 10.9 births per 1000 inhabitants in 2008, an increase of 0.3 compared with 2007. The increase was observed in all member countries except Germany. The EU crude death rate remained stable at 9.7 per 1000 inhabitants. The relatively low fertility rate means retirement age workers are not entirely replaced by younger workers joining the workforce. The EU faces a potential future dominated by an ever-increasing population of retired citizens, without enough younger workers to fund (via taxes) retirement programs or other state welfare agendas.

A low fertility rate, without supplement from immigration, also suggests a declining overall EU population, which further suggests economic contraction or even a possible economic crisis. Some media have noted the 'baby crisis' in the EU, some governments have noted the problem, and the UN and other multinational authorities continue to warn of a possible crisis. At this point however such a decrease in the population of the EU is not observed as the overall natural growth remains positive and the EU continues to attract large numbers of immigrants. In 2010, a breakdown of the population by citizenship showed that there were 20.1 million foreign citizens living in the EU representing 4% of the population.

Y'all better get to work having babies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

That's population growth which includes immigration. I'm talking about birth rates.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_European_Un...

Quote:
After hitting a historical low of 1.47 children born per female, the total fertility rate of the EU started to increase again, to reach a level of 1.60 in 2008. The positive trend was observed in all member states with the exception of Luxembourg, Malta and Portugal. The largest increases over this period were observed in Bulgaria (from 1.23 children per woman in 2003 to 1.57 in 2009), Slovenia (from 1.20 to 1.53), the Czech Republic (from 1.18 to 1.49) and Lithuania (from 1.26 to 1.55). In 2009, the Member States with the highest fertility rates were Ireland (2.07), France (2.00), the United Kingdom (1.96 in 2008) and Sweden (1.94), all approaching the replacement level of 2.1 children born per female. The lowest rates were observed in Latvia (1.31), Hungary and Portugal (both 1.32) and Germany (1.36). The increasing fertility rate has also been accompanied by an upward trend in the natural increase of the population which is due to the moderate increase of the crude birth rate that reached 10.9 births per 1000 inhabitants in 2008, an increase of 0.3 compared with 2007. The increase was observed in all member countries except Germany. The EU crude death rate remained stable at 9.7 per 1000 inhabitants. The relatively low fertility rate means retirement age workers are not entirely replaced by younger workers joining the workforce. The EU faces a potential future dominated by an ever-increasing population of retired citizens, without enough younger workers to fund (via taxes) retirement programs or other state welfare agendas.

A low fertility rate, without supplement from immigration, also suggests a declining overall EU population, which further suggests economic contraction or even a possible economic crisis. Some media have noted the 'baby crisis' in the EU, some governments have noted the problem, and the UN and other multinational authorities continue to warn of a possible crisis. At this point however such a decrease in the population of the EU is not observed as the overall natural growth remains positive and the EU continues to attract large numbers of immigrants. In 2010, a breakdown of the population by citizenship showed that there were 20.1 million foreign citizens living in the EU representing 4% of the population.

Y'all better get to work having babies.

And this is what the articel is taloing aobut, I'm all right jake. The odea that we only need to think about ouorselvs, not any one else and not future generations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Which does not manswer the question, is it a finite or infinite source. It does not matter if we have engouh to last untill you and I are long dead. The point is that eventualy these resource will run out, do you agree with that or not?

I believe that humans, freed from the shackles of government interference, will always be able to supply their energy needs. But since green energy is almost as mythical as peak oil, right now we need oil and gas and all those good things so that we may progress as a species and reach the point where alternatives are viable and plentiful. You may cower in your dark room. I'm walking into the bright, energy-rich future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way we're ever going to have a viable green energy strategy is if we use enough oil so that the price rises dramatically and alternatives become economically viable. You guys really need to think more longterm. You should love seeing SUV's barreling down the interstate at 90 mph. They're just getting us to a realistic green energy solution that much faster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I believe that humans, freed from the shackles of government interference, will always be able to supply their energy needs. But since green energy is almost as mythical as peak oil, right now we need oil and gas and all those good things so that we may progress as a species and reach the point where alternatives are viable and plentiful. You may cower in your dark room. I'm walking into the bright, energy-rich future!

Again you avoid an answer, will oil and gas run out? Also you talk about the subject (as everyone does) as if energy is then only concearn. Yes I would argue that greatest threat is possed (as I have said abiove) by living space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
The only way we're ever going to have a viable green energy strategy is if we use enough oil so that the price rises dramatically and alternatives become economically viable. You guys really need to think more longterm. You should love seeing SUV's barreling down the interstate at 90 mph. They're just getting us to a realistic green energy solution that much faster!

Sorry I have to diagree, if the proce risese it wioll not casue commpanies to invest in green. They are interested in profits, not sales. If they can make the same profit whilst seeling less product they won't care. hey will only take action of thier profits start to fall, by which time we will see genuine fuel shortages. I wonder how many of you will be able to pay £50 for one shoping trip, buts it OK they wilol sort it out eventualy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.