Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new expansion introduces a 5th player. I'm not totally sold on the idea of the new board section/resources/cards/etc (though I might be). What if I were to buy my own new meeples, cubes, and maybe make my own player board, would the vanilla game be fun with a 5th player or would it get too crowded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it! And then let us know.

(maybe have players start with 4 meeples instead of 5?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'd just give it a try! Things to consider:

- 5 meeples may be too many, as James said. Maybe start with 4.
- You'll probably run out of space fast, so maybe make each resource spot have room for 9 meeples on it (or more).
- Maybe have a 5th civilization card available.
- Maybe have a 5th hut stack available, but the game only ends when two are empty.

Not sure how all of those would work, but it may help to balance things a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm, your welcome insights make me think I should just get the expansion. But somehow, going from 'resources to survive and thrive' to 'pretty shiny things for our womenfolk' is such an anticlimax.

We'll see how long my resolve holds out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
We'll see how long my resolve holds out.

Until the first time you see it on sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For one, I love Stone Age, but also dislike both the board concept and the theme in the expansion, if I needed to add extra players I would think about something along the line of the OP and posted suggestions to make it work. I support the idea. Also, Stone Age token resources can be purchased separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
But somehow, going from 'resources to survive and thrive' to 'pretty shiny things for our womenfolk' is such an anticlimax.

Well gold was always pretty much a shiny pretty thing and doesn't have much use as a building material/resource to survive. The way jewelry is implemented in the expansion it comes across much more as a trade good than anything else. You can convert it to other materials at the trading post and you can build huts with it. Ostensibly you're trading jewelry for land/workers/materials to build the hut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered adding a 5 player by making the start player move two spaces to the left each round. I feel that in the base game, the first 3 picks each round are the strongest. Though I suppose that the first rank card or wood is a strong choice too.

In any case, shifting the starting player by 2 each round should help balance the players.

DC Clark's suggestions might be a good idea too. I probably wouldn't change the meeple count, but I would add a 5th civ card that costs 5 of any resources, and a 5th hut stack with the game only ending when two stacks are empty rule, and I MIGHT add the 9 meeples available to get wood/brick/stone/gold each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Totimes
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that the atmosphere of jewelry was very skeptical to say the least, but it actually works. As mentioned, it "feels" more like a trade resource, while playing, than a frivelous decoration.

Another thing to think about for a 5 player game without the expansion would be a 5th "key" spot. Perhaps just allowing for 1 of the four to be used a second time, but not by the same tribe would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.