Recommend
41 
 Thumb up
 Hide
94 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » News

Subject: new preview article rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igfa_277 wrote:
shnar wrote:
There don't appear to be any Power Dice either, one of the main sources of surges in 1st Ed...


I think there are power dice, the yellow ones. It says 9 custom dice:

1 Blue and 1 Red attack dice for ranged and melee attacks
3 yellow power dice
2 white defense die
1 brown defense die
1 black defense die

I could be wrong about the yellow dice being power, but that is what makes sense with all they have revealed so far.

Oh, I think you're right. I was looking for the Enhancement (the 1/Heart) of 1st Ed and never saw them on the dice so thought they had ditched Power Dice all together. Looking at the Yellow Dice closer, it looks like they have Surges, Range, and Damage on them on different sides.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The "overland encounter" cards mention "search cards". I'd bet that's what those tokens with the matching deck are in the picture.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Except that the back of those cards are different (unless the cards shown were a prototype of sorts, the artwork having changed). Plus, the text on the event cards alludes to things happening between quests, not during quests...

-shnar


Might they happen between the two "sections" of the Quest? You have to travel to the next dungeon, maybe?...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the four color-coded tokens are Action Point markers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm really liking what I see in the preview so far, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't have player mats to organize everything your character has.

I hated the "fiddlyness" of trying to keep track of my characters health and fatigue and much preferred the mats available on BGG that simplified everything and gave you a specific place for your items, your equipment, and had health and fatigue tracks where you could just slide one health token, instead of having to have multiple.

Now I know that someone here will just make a new player mat for 2E, but it would be nice if FFG provided them. It would have cut down the amount of tokens the game would need, and saved them money that could have been spent on other things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good so far... Now that it looks like it's finished, they should release it!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Looks really good so far... Now that it looks like it's finished, they should release it!!!

I think that's the plan. I don't think it's just sitting in a warehouse collecting dust, it's probably still either being printed or, more likely, on it's way.

The images are probably either CGI, or came from a proof copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabrams007 wrote:
I'm really liking what I see in the preview so far, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't have player mats to organize everything your character has.

I hated the "fiddlyness" of trying to keep track of my characters health and fatigue and much preferred the mats available on BGG that simplified everything and gave you a specific place for your items, your equipment, and had health and fatigue tracks where you could just slide one health token, instead of having to have multiple.

Now I know that someone here will just make a new player mat for 2E, but it would be nice if FFG provided them. It would have cut down the amount of tokens the game would need, and saved them money that could have been spent on other things.


the cards are smaller in the v2 so it will be easier to place everything near your hero card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely happy they brought a bit more role playing to the game. It looks great. Can't wait for the release!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Graf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are no visible obstacle tokens so far. I hope obstacles won't be excluded.

I really like the new miniatures.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graf wrote:
There are no visible obstacle tokens so far. I hope obstacles won't be excluded.

I really like the new miniatures.

That's what your 1st Ed is for, creating custom adventures with custom "obstacles".

I kind of think 2nd Ed has done away with most if not all the map tokens like Rubble, Mud, Water, etc, in an effort to "streamline" the game (makes setup faster). There will probably still be squares on the board that have different effects (like Water seems prominent on the outdoor tiles), but there won't be any pieces you lay on the board like in 1st Ed. Could be wrong though, won't know until we get that rulebook PDF out.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
One important change to note if they have gone to a "half-action" system is that in 1E you have to declare your action at the start of your turn, i.e. before you do anything. This can make space traps the Overlord plays quite nasty if the hero thinks they can get somewhere with having to declare a run action, but is trapped along the way.

Not saying I'd hate the idea of "half-actions" instead of declaring at the start of the turn, but that would be an at least considerable change (not to mention the way that numerous cards and effects interacted with what "action" you had Declared at the start of your turn).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Orr
United States
Beaver Dams
New York
flag msg tools
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. -Dr. Seuss
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or do the mini's look a bit small? How big were the 1st Edition minis?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
This is telling:



"An additional move action?" I wonder if they've changed how Movement works, more like Gears of War, in that all movement has to be completed before other "actions" like attacking?

-shnar


Aaargh - why did they add the utterly redundant text "in addition to any other actions" at the end? Isn't that precisely what the preceding term "additional move action" means? So why repeat it?!

Here, let's make it even more obvious, shall we:
Quote:
Dash
On your turn, play this card on a
monster during your turn. This turn, in
addition to its other actions, that
monster may make an additional attack
action this turn in addition to
any other actions.


Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. My inner raging pedant is now sedated and back in his cage...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth Kick Starts August 28th
badge
Gloom of Kilforth Kick Starts August 28th
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
My inner raging pedant is now sedated and back in his cage...


Let us know when he's allowed out again, he's pretty funny.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it may be that you can only normally take one of each action a turn (move, attack etc..)

Then the extra clarification is that it does not replace your existing actions but adds to them. (otherwise it might suggest that you can take only take 2 move actions that turn, instead of 2 actions and 1 extra move action)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
128
badge
22
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
shnar wrote:
"An additional move action?" I wonder if they've changed how Movement works, more like Gears of War, in that all movement has to be completed before other "actions" like attacking?

-shnar


Aaargh - why did they add the utterly redundant text "in addition to any other actions" at the end? Isn't that precisely what the preceding term "additional move action" means? So why repeat it?!

Here, let's make it even more obvious, shall we:
Quote:
Dash
On your turn, play this card on a
monster during your turn. This turn, in
addition to its other actions, that
monster may make an additional attack
action this turn in addition to
any other actions.


Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. My inner raging pedant is now sedated and back in his cage...

Lets say a monster has 3 actions in total each turn, and it's allowed to use one of those actions as a move action. So, it could take 1 move action and 2 'other' actions.

What the card says is that it may take 2 move actions and 2 'other' actions.

If the card would have omitted the 'in addition to any other actions' part, the card would say that you could take 2 move actions and only 1 'other' action (since you would still only have a total of 3 actions).

All of this is purely hypothetical of course, but I don't find the 'in addition to any other actions' part redundant.

edit: I'm too slow...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
shnar wrote:
This is telling:



"An additional move action?" I wonder if they've changed how Movement works, more like Gears of War, in that all movement has to be completed before other "actions" like attacking?

-shnar


Aaargh - why did they add the utterly redundant text "in addition to any other actions" at the end? Isn't that precisely what the preceding term "additional move action" means? So why repeat it?!

Here, let's make it even more obvious, shall we:
Quote:
Dash
On your turn, play this card on a
monster during your turn. This turn, in
addition to its other actions, that
monster may make an additional attack
action this turn in addition to
any other actions.


Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. My inner raging pedant is now sedated and back in his cage...


I noticed that too. But then again, have you seen some of the idiotic rule questions people ask on here (yes, there *are* such things as stupid questions)?

One of my favourites, asked about Sid Meier's Civilisation went along the lines of: "the Egyptian's ability says that they get a random Wonder at the start of the game. Does this mean you pick the Wonder randomly, or does the player get to choose?"

shake
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
shnar wrote:
This is telling:



"An additional move action?" I wonder if they've changed how Movement works, more like Gears of War, in that all movement has to be completed before other "actions" like attacking?

-shnar


Aaargh - why did they add the utterly redundant text "in addition to any other actions" at the end? Isn't that precisely what the preceding term "additional move action" means? So why repeat it?!


If the "utterly redundant text" hadn't been included, it could imply that the monster would only be allowed to take an additional move action, i.e. move/move rather than move/move/attack. Well, that's how I read it. Anyway, isn't better for the text to be too explicit than not clear enough?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
birdman37 wrote:
My inner raging pedant is now sedated and back in his cage...


Let us know when he's allowed out again, he's pretty funny.

He entertained/horrified a group of friends for a good 20 minutes one time, expressing his utter disdain and disbelief at how the words "there", "their" and "they're" are so frequently mixed up by so many people. Large amounts of alcohol were, of course, involved...
whistle

Kamakaze wrote:
Well, it may be that you can only normally take one of each action a turn (move, attack etc..)

Then the extra clarification is that it does not replace your existing actions but adds to them. (otherwise it might suggest that you can take only take 2 move actions that turn, instead of 2 actions and 1 extra move action)

But isn't that what the single word "additional" implies right off the bat? A thing described as "additional" that actually replaces something else has been incorrectly described. To me at least, the "clarifying" phrase at the end adds no further (or, indeed, additional) information.

Anyway, yeah, not really that big a deal, I'm just letting off steam in short, controlled bursts so as to avoid another embarrasing situation as described above...
blush
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:

Kamakaze wrote:
Well, it may be that you can only normally take one of each action a turn (move, attack etc..)

Then the extra clarification is that it does not replace your existing actions but adds to them. (otherwise it might suggest that you can take only take 2 move actions that turn, instead of 2 actions and 1 extra move action)

But isn't that what the single word "additional" implies right off the bat? A thing described as "additional" that actually replaces something else has been incorrectly described. To me at least, the "clarifying" phrase at the end adds no further (or, indeed, additional) information.

Perhaps, but "additional move action" could imply adding a move action, but at the expense of another action. You are still adding one type of action, but as was mentioned above, it clarifies that it doesn't affect any of your other actions. Not only is it and additional move, it's and additional action overall, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, it's possible that potions are now covered under the status effect rules, and so are represented by the cards and tokens in the top left of the picture.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important line to me "... this summer..."

poop.

soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I was sceptical at first but I am beginning to get really excited by 2nd ed. now.

I still want to continue playing through my first ed. stuff but the campign play looks like a real winner.

The 2 part quests and impact of one result on the other's set-up is also excellent. The number of quests is a real bonus and something that FFG should be applauded for as it goes against the drip feed, maximise profits approach of the day.

Finally the shorter quest length will appeal to many. My group embrace the whole day quest and actually look forward to it. But the shorter quests here and ability to break up a double quest over two sessions will make this edition perfect for my 9, 10 and 12 year old boys who love these games but still struggle with the attention span required.

So as long as the mechanics have been reworked well I think this could be a real winner for FFG.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
I have to say that I was sceptical at first but I am beginning to get really excited by 2nd ed. now.

I still want to continue playing through my first ed. stuff but the campign play looks like a real winner.

The 2 part quests and impact of one result on the other's set-up is also excellent. The number of quests is a real bonus and something that FFG should be applauded for as it goes against the drip feed, maximise profits approach of the day.

Finally the shorter quest length will appeal to many. My group embrace the whole day quest and actually look forward to it. But the shorter quests here and ability to break up a double quest over two sessions will make this edition perfect for my 9, 10 and 12 year old boys who love these games but still struggle with the attention span required.

So as long as the mechanics have been reworked well I think this could be a real winner for FFG.


I agree with everything you wrote. I'm a once-a-month player with some of the other dentists that work with me at my hospital, but they love to strategize, and sometimes our quests last 5-6 hours. I'll definitely buy this and give it a shot, probably the full version, too, even though I already own all the expansions. I'm sure over time I can compare the two and see which one I enjoy more, or perhaps I'll like both and play them each at different times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.