Subject: 6 player game, similar to Ad Astra or Cyclades? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Woods
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have Ad Astra, and the game group loves it, but alas, it doesn't come out often since there are six of us.

Since one of us wasn't able to like My friend pulled out Cyclades last night and it was a pretty big hit, and it seemed to scratch a similar itch to Ad Astra, (despite having almost none of the same mechanics), but it's also only 5 players, so it won't hit the table too often.

Since I'm always looking for something new for my collection, can anyone recommend something that works for 6 players, is similar in weight and style to Ad Astra or Cyclades, and that has a pretty good theme?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter game, check out Chicago Express. It has expansion/building elements that are present in Ad Astra and a little bit in Cyclades. You can't "attack" per se, but there is some intense competition for auctioning shares and building-up of different companies.

If you're group is okay with something longer, there's always Dominant Species. Just know that it WILL be long with the full 6P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already hard to find good 6-player games without the restriction of being similar to this or that. Just kick out one of the guys!

Seriously, though, I think the best fit for you would be Starfarers of Catan with the 5-6 player expansion, but the game has been OOP for some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
Great 6-player game with good theme, similar to Cyclades in cutthroat atmosphere and informal alliances : A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 6 player expansion is supposed to be in the works for Cyclades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
Great 6-player game with good theme, similar to Cyclades in cutthroat atmosphere and informal alliances : A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

One is a Euro (although some call it a hybrid), the other is a conquest game, pure Ameritrash, and significantly more complex. And FWIW, I really like Cyclades and hate A Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Woods
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:

Awesome! Sadly, since the publisher went out of business, there's no hope for Ad Astra unless it gets a reprint.

GSReis wrote:
One is a Euro (although some call it a hybrid), the other is a conquest game, pure Ameritrash, and significantly more complex. And FWIW, I really like Cyclades and hate A Game of Thrones.

To me they both seem like hybrids. They have similar weight and pretty well integrated themes, but there are plenty of differences between the two. I'm not looking for something exactly the same, but similar in those ways.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
brianwoods wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Awesome! Sadly, since the publisher went out of business, there's no hope for Ad Astra unless it gets a reprint.

Uh, the US publishing rights for AD ASTRA are held by Fantasy Flight Games, and they are definitely still in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights is a good game that has some fighting but also other activities, with an interesting mechanic for actions. There are bids on it too when the Assembly convenes, which may give you that vibe you got with Cyclades. It is, however, a bit more complex and also can run a bit longer, though not by much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TransAmerica is a fairly quick game that our locals enjoy - and it seats 6.

I think it may still be the only multiplayer game I know that ends when someone loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire is about the same weight as the other two. It's also pretty comparable, as far as components and theming go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you are looking for is absolutely, positively Mare Nostrum with Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion. It's oop but may be reprinted. But it is what your looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike might be a good choice too. An ancient civ style game, but it plays quite briskly yet there are a lot of tough choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.