Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
As someone that has lurked here for a long time without posting I just wanted to publicly say thank you to BoardGameGeek. I recently released my own take on am iOS Dominion randomizer app (called Randominion) and this site has been invaluable in the development process.

I think it's pretty cool (though I'm extremely biased) and I already have a lot of ideas for the 1.1 update, if you want to check it out you can find it here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/randominion/id505136439?uo=4&...

Any feedback is always always welcome.

I wanted to do more than just say thanks though so here are a bunch of promo codes for people from BGG to download the app for free (as far as I can tell this isn't against the rules, apologies if it is though):

PWHFWYN4744F
KFMJWW7K9MJR
KKXMYWJ36YTR
AWYTR9PNH39W
F79T9KYEE4TN
HW3WH9F3XLMY
7RETEFY3PP44
XXJWLWY7H9J3
EPHAK639Y64J
37XMYER3WPT6

I know I'm not supposed to advertise anything on here, but I couldn't think of a way to give away some copies of my app without mentioning it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gunawan
Indonesia
Surabaya
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Used 7RETEFY3PP44. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Used XXJWLWY7H9J3. Awesome!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
KKXMYWJ36YTR used. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
I used 37XMYER3WPT6. App looks good!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Weatherford
msg tools
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
I used KFMJWW7K9MJR, thanks a lot!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
thumbsup and a chuckle earned for the name, "Randominion."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
I got PWHFWYN4744F.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Joyce
United States
Diamond Bar
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
I haven't downloaded the app, so I'm just saying this after having looked at the page for your app. Prosperity is spelled wrong based on the first screenshot that you have posted. Just thought I would point that out
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Lame, all the codes have apparently been used! Someone could have noted when they used the last one!!! This one definitely looks more potentialful than D-Minion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Bought the app, looks very nice! A couple thoughts:

1) Tapping on the bottom card (to show what the card does) doesn't scroll the page down, so it's not obvious that anything happened.

2) "I don't want this card, pick a new one" functionality would be nice.

3) Do I need Potions/Platinum/etc. for this game would be nice (just put them in the main list)

4) Don't know if it's allowed, but having the sets of cards mentioned in the rules as default favorites would be helpful. (Browse -> Default Games)

The UI on the card screen is particularly good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daigle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Paul, app looks awesome and I agree with everything Geoff has for input.
Except #4 because you already have that. (Browse -> Default Games)

Couple other additions:
-cost of cards requirement for randomizer
-if attack card is chosen, require a reaction card.
-Also, one thing that would be nice is the setup instructions/reminders in the app.

Nicely done, and look forward to your updates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
madone wrote:
Paul, app looks awesome and I agree with everything Geoff has for input.
Except #4 because you already have that. (Browse -> Default Games)

Couple other additions:
-cost of cards requirement for randomizer
-if attack card is chosen, require a reaction card.
-Also, one thing that would be nice is the setup instructions/reminders in the app.

Nicely done, and look forward to your updates.


I'd love to be able to hit 'log a play' and have it record my game with the card set on BGG. The 7 Wonders scorer does this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
LivelyToaster wrote:
I haven't downloaded the app, so I'm just saying this after having looked at the page for your app. Prosperity is spelled wrong based on the first screenshot that you have posted. Just thought I would point that out


This is the sound of me fainting from embarrassment! *thud*

Fortunately it's just on the screenshot, the app actually spells it right. This is what I get for using an old screenshot though, thank you! An updated screenshot has already been submitted

galfridus wrote:
1) Tapping on the bottom card (to show what the card does) doesn't scroll the page down, so it's not obvious that anything happened.

2) "I don't want this card, pick a new one" functionality would be nice.

3) Do I need Potions/Platinum/etc. for this game would be nice (just put them in the main list)


Number 3 is already in the works for 1.1, and the other two are very good suggestions, consider them added as well!

madone wrote:
Couple other additions:
-cost of cards requirement for randomizer


This idea intrigues (no pun intended) me, what exactly would you be looking for? A good spread of cost (some worth 2-3, some 4, and some 5-6 for example) or to be able to say have none that cost more than 5 or less than 3 kind of thing?

madone wrote:
-Also, one thing that would be nice is the setup instructions/reminders in the app.


Coming for sure in 1.1

dathnice wrote:
I'd love to be able to hit 'log a play' and have it record my game with the card set on BGG. The 7 Wonders scorer does this.


I will also look into this for sure, I hadn't considered it at all but I think it's a good idea.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone, it really really helps. When you look at the same app for weeks on end you stop seeing the obvious sometimes, a few sets of fresh eyes, especially from people that actually play the game unlike most of my beta testers, can do wonders.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K'Trazz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Nice job. The Black Market deck could use its own Blacklist.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
ktrazz wrote:
Nice job. The Black Market deck could use its own Blacklist.


The Black Market Deck uses the same Black List that Kingdom cards use, and I think managing two Black Lists would be, for lack of a better word, too "fiddly".

Not that board game people don't love fiddly things, I know I do
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
I used this the other night, it was nice! I did miss the ability to kick out one card though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K'Trazz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
Good job. If the app has the ability to sort, I couldn't figure it out. It should also choose a Bane card for the Young Witch.

-Randy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
galfridus wrote:
I used this the other night, it was nice! I did miss the ability to kick out one card though...


I'm working on this. Sadly I had it all worked out but I hit a drawing bug in the SDK and there's not much I can do about it. So I have to completely redesign how it's going to work but it's coming. This is my most-requested feature by far and I'm determined to make it work!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Re: Yet another Dominion randomizer app, with a thank you to BGG
ktrazz wrote:
Good job. If the app has the ability to sort, I couldn't figure it out. It should also choose a Bane card for the Young Witch.

-Randy


Out of curiosity, what kind of sorting would you like to see? Right now it's sorted by expansion and then alphabetically.

Bane card is coming in the next release which I'm elbow-deep into right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Version 1.1 is out!

A huge thanks to everyone that's purchased the app and an even larger thank you to everyone that's provided feedback. It really helps me make the app better for people and I'm committed to improving it going forward.

Version 1.1 adds supply card information. Now it'll give you the counts of the treasure and victory cards and it'll choose potions and prosperity cards appropriately.

I wanted to have the reject-a-card function working as well, but a bug in the SDK is holding me back till I can code around it. I'm still working on it though.

Keep the feedback coming and if anyone that purchased a copy wanted to leave a review on iTunes, I would absolutely love that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, I'll take a look (update not yet downloaded).

I love your app.

The FAQs for every card are really great, in addition to the overall interface and usability.

Two additional requests if you like them:

(a) HISTORY -- I found this not useful in the sense that it "records" you played a certain group of Kingdom cards on a certain day -- which on the face of it is really cool -- but it only does this so far as I can tell when you hit the "refresh" icon and refresh the group of cards. Further, sometimes I hit refresh several times just to see some distributions and it is recording that I played all of those kingdom setups on that date (which is not accurate). SOLUTION: What would be cool here is if you added a button that lets me say "I played this one" (maybe with date, option, defaulting to the present date) and only then does it get added to your history.

(b) ALCHEMY DISTRIBUTION -- With Alchemy, I play the Alchemy distribution rule, and you have implemented this well. Basically, when Alchemy appears, 3-5 Alchemy Kingdom cards get added into the mix. This presents somewhat of a problem, though. I generated 35 random games and 15 of them were Alchemy. Basically that means about 40% of the time you are generating Alchemy games. (My guess is that your AI looks for an Alchemy card in its random distribution and then if it has it, it adds in several more Alchemy cards and that becomes an "Alchemy game.") This causes Alchemy cards/games to get overexposed -- after all there are only a limited set of Alchemy cards and even though I think they're fun, I don't think they're "40% of the time" fun. What the app is doing, then, is (based on my inferences) it is over-generating Alchemy cards into its random mixes. SOLUTION: Have an Advanced setting that enables the player to specify the % of games that will come up Alchemy. For my own group, I think I might make it 15% of the time -- you could make that 15% a default but let the user specify any percentage from 0% to 100% (in 5% increments).

If I have misunderstood how the app works with regard to the two above situations, my apologies.

Thanks for the best Dominion randomizer app!!!

--David
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tower
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
David Gardner wrote:
Paul, I'll take a look (update not yet downloaded).

I love your app.

The FAQs for every card are really great, in addition to the overall interface and usability.

Two additional requests if you like them:

(a) HISTORY -- I found this not useful in the sense that it "records" you played a certain group of Kingdom cards on a certain day -- which on the face of it is really cool -- but it only does this so far as I can tell when you hit the "refresh" icon and refresh the group of cards. Further, sometimes I hit refresh several times just to see some distributions and it is recording that I played all of those kingdom setups on that date (which is not accurate). SOLUTION: What would be cool here is if you added a button that lets me say "I played this one" (maybe with date, option, defaulting to the present date) and only then does it get added to your history.

(b) ALCHEMY DISTRIBUTION -- With Alchemy, I play the Alchemy distribution rule, and you have implemented this well. Basically, when Alchemy appears, 3-5 Alchemy Kingdom cards get added into the mix. This presents somewhat of a problem, though. I generated 35 random games and 15 of them were Alchemy. Basically that means about 40% of the time you are generating Alchemy games. (My guess is that your AI looks for an Alchemy card in its random distribution and then if it has it, it adds in several more Alchemy cards and that becomes an "Alchemy game.") This causes Alchemy cards/games to get overexposed -- after all there are only a limited set of Alchemy cards and even though I think they're fun, I don't think they're "40% of the time" fun. What the app is doing, then, is (based on my inferences) it is over-generating Alchemy cards into its random mixes. SOLUTION: Have an Advanced setting that enables the player to specify the % of games that will come up Alchemy. For my own group, I think I might make it 15% of the time -- you could make that 15% a default but let the user specify any percentage from 0% to 100% (in 5% increments).

If I have misunderstood how the app works with regard to the two above situations, my apologies.

Thanks for the best Dominion randomizer app!!!

--David


Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad to hear that you like the app!

Your ideas for the History are rather interesting. The initial idea behind the history is it would keep track of the most recent randomly generated games. The theory being you might create a game, play it, forget to save it and then want to go back and look it up later. Of course, as it stands now the app has no idea if you played the randomly generated set or not, so it's including everything. I like what you've suggested though and I'm going to think long and hard about adding a way to say you played a particular set.

It's curious that you're seeing the Alchemy distribution that you are getting. As of right now the algorithm is completely random and doesn't favor Alchemy cards if one has already been selected. However, I'm in the middle of a complete rewrite of the algorithm that will take the distribution into account (as well as a great deal of other things that got overlooked in the first version).

I'm glad you find the app useful, plenty more updates are coming and I'm committed to making the app even better!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.