Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered this, and finally decided I'd just post here to see if I could get it clarified once and for all. Don't know why it took me this long.

In the initial LotR, they skipped 1-10, and 20-30. I thought it was strange, until I saw F&F. Was this intentional, or did they just leave room for an expansion? If this was part of the original design, were Foes part of it as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stavros G.
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
I've always wondered this, and finally decided I'd just post here to see if I could get it clarified once and for all. Don't know why it took me this long.

In the initial LotR, they skipped 1-10, and 20-30. I thought it was strange, until I saw F&F. Was this intentional, or did they just leave room for an expansion? If this was part of the original design, were Foes part of it as well?

To me it is intentional in the sense that the designer cleverly left room for an expansion. This is a sign of planning ahead in the game design, in a good way! LoTR the boardgame is one of Knizia all-time masterpieces. The co-operative boardgames genre, a whole segment in the market nowadays, owes everything to the release of this title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any more than you do, but I suspect that Bree and Isengard were part of the original design of the game, but that they decided six scenarios were too many for the basic game, so two of them were held back for an expansion.

I imagine the Foes were a later idea, created to give the expansion more meat and a way to skip scenarios so you didn't have to do all six! But who knows, maybe they were part of the original idea too...

Surely on Board Game Geek someone must know more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.