Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a relative newcomer who is finding myself falling into a deep BGG addiction. I visit five, ten, maybe 20 times a day, whether on my desktop, laptop, iPhone, or iPad.

My heart leaps at the sight of the red "X new" notice for messages and subscription items. I guiltily check files I've uploaded to see how many downloads they've gotten. I comb through GeekLists new and old, telling myself this is useful when I know it's deeper and less practical than that. I do yet another advanced search for this or that type of game, even though I know full well I've already got twelve new games needing playing and not enough time to play them.

I find myself fascinated by the ins and outs of the community -- how it works, who's who, the various features I've yet to take advantage of, the various ways to get involved I can look forward to. And I wonder: what has gotten into me?!?

Though I am new, I sense I am far from alone in this addiction. So I ask you, my fellow BGG addicts -- many or most of you much more far gone into this addiction than I am (yet!) -- please help me understand this lovely malady of mine: why is BGG so addictive?

• [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have nothing better to do with our time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Zgwortz is gluten-free!
badge
Living rent-free in your head!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why oh why is BGG so delightfully addictive?

The subliminal messages encoded on each page produce endorphin secretions in such a manner that every time you see a new game, the act of opening your wallet to buy it becomes imminently pleasurable.

Repeat daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It tastes like Chicken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nice and very interactive community.

Totally addicted too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
The people !!!

Sweet & Salty Goodness !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be the microbadges.

Buy one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Avery
Idaho
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
It tastes like Chicken?

"At least I have chicken."

Oh sorry, wrong website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James ooo
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
want to become hopelessly addicted? Get involved in trading. The thrill of the hunt is addicting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this post is like looking in the mirror when drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know why for me. Because it is better than rottentomatoes.com and this industry is healthier and more fun. And I used to enjoy the forum over there for about 4 years. And they don't want me. I learned and grew over there some.

It is news that you care about from unfiltered less biased sources. It is the hunt for both games and other kinds of information to make our lives and just our internet search pools just a little bit bigger. It is the social interaction and feeling of community.

The internet metagame surrounding any hobby, that is rightly encouraged by the economic drivers of the hobby and those that love it, is a hobby within itself. Some people really enjoy forums. They are a hobby. They can get a bit too addictive. I spend too much time on forums and on the internet in general. However, it is an important part of my life that I value a lot.

icine.org
swiftor.org
facebook.com
rottentomatoes.com
mmorpg.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Must be the microbadges.

Buy one!

Thank you, Pete! I've just got my first microbadge. cool I think my addiction level just doubled...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's a nice one! 'Scuse me, have to go MB shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
pete belli wrote:
Must be the microbadges.

Buy one!

Thank you, Pete! I've just got my first microbadge. cool I think my addiction level just doubled...

Wait till you get an avatar. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
Wait till you get an avatar. robot

Why wait? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You come here to get resources. And then you stay to chat with nice people. It's called a marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
I visit five, ten, maybe 20 times a day, whether on my desktop, laptop, iPhone, or iPad.

Amateur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
BGG got me back into the internet. And into forums. And gaming.

But what's most addictive? The people around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
Why oh why is BGG so delightfully addictive?

The subliminal messages encoded on each page produce endorphin secretions in such a manner that every time you see a new game, the act of opening your wallet to buy it becomes imminently pleasurable.

Repeat daily.

holy shit.. this is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

Here's a top 10 list of reasons your replies has inspired:

Why BGG is so damned addictive?

10. It's responsive. There always seems to be someone willing to discuss pretty much anything pretty much all the time. You post a question or reply or a file -- and you get replies or downloads within hours. Instant gratification!

9. The thumbs. Who doesn't like to get a thumbs up? Functionally the same as "Like" on Facebook, but so much better, more personal feeling somehow. When you get lots of thumbs for something, it feels great and you remember.

8. The emoticons! There's a nice variety -- and some relatively complex ones that seem to express the right nuanced sentiment perfectly well, like shake or blush or whistle I don't find myself glossing over emoticons like I tend to in emails.

7. People are witty. 'Nuff said.

6. It's personalized -- i.e. the subscriptions. It's so easy to subscribe to things of interest, whether a game or a single thread. So you want to come back and see what's new that you know you will already be interested in.

5. The GeekGold. Even better than thumbs, who doesn't like -- love -- to get GeekGold. Not because it has monetary value, but because it is scarce, it took real effort for people to earn, and thus really means something. When you get even a small bit of GeekGold, it feels great and you remember. When someone takes the further effort to add a note or post when giving GG, it's even better.

4. The microbadges, etc. I just got my first microbadge and will soon figure out an avatar, thanks to folks in this thread. I've never been into avatars etc. in any online forum, but now I can see I'm going to really get into it here over time. Why? I think it's the fact that microbadges have specific meaning that is shared in the community, not just an idiosyncratic private expression. It's a way to express my personal identity in a code that is shared. And it takes on real meaning thanks to needing to be earned, i.e. needing GeekGold that was memorably given by others in the community.

3. Talking about games can be as fun as playing them. Especially with thoughtful, witty, friendly people. Sometimes I enjoy playing more, other times I enjoy talking about playing more. It's a nice back and forth to have both the playing and the talking about playing.

2. The games. Of course the fact that the community is about these wonderful, magical creations called board games is critical. The BGG addiction has it's foundation in our board game addiction. BGG reminds us about, reinforces, relies on, expands that foundational addiction, and the pleasure from board games that creates that foundational addition.

1. People are welcoming. Not just friendly, but actively welcoming -- meaning they genuinely want you as a newbie to become part of the community. The responses in this thread demonstrate that. When folks encourage (and enable) you to get a microbadge or avatar and respond wittily and in a welcoming way and in a way that makes you feel like you've found folks who feel the same about board games and yet have new thoughts to share -- how can you not want to get more involved and thus addicted?

I've love to hear some of your reasons -- or your own top 10 list -- for the addiction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.