Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The castles of Burgundy – Session report

Tuesday 10th April 2012 was one more session of this incredible game. As long as I keep playing it, the more I like it. It was my 5th game, a 4-player game, 2 of us were playing it for the first time. Players were the usual suspects: John, Pantelis, Tasos and me using green, blue, red and black colors respectively. The game looks it can be played quite fast but every time we play it, it lasts al least 2 hours+. Too much thinking cause your mind to get burned.

I want to share some thoughts after my 5th game. I decided to play a completely different game than I use to. I had come with the conclusion that closing areas for VPs is not as important as the final scoring so I took this task off my mind. It didn’t prove quite right finally. I started as the start player and during the game, after some rounds, I stayed last. I never chose a ship for the whole game.

I think I am sure to say that the game prompts you to play the “sell goods” action ‘cause it gives you quite good Vp’s (2,3 or 4 depending on players). This means that you have first to take ship tiles, then put them into your estate so as to take goods from one depot and move to the turn order, and then finally sell them.

Playing last on the whole game was also a minus because the others left me with no choices. Maybe the late “area completing” for extra scoring helped to my doom. I got early on the knowledge tile of disregarding the rule of having the same building in a city and with that, I managed a total of 48 points at the end which awarded me just the 3rd place. The knowledge tile with 3 VPs for each type of sold good maybe it is a little overpower, thus the player who had it came 2nd.

Final points were about like that (just from bonus tiles, neither silverlings nor worker tiles):

1st player : [3x4(VP building)=12] + [3x4(VP building)=12] + [4(different animal types)] = 28 points
2nd player : [3x6(for each good type) = 18] + [2x4(for each bonus tile) = 8] 26 points
3rd player : [7x4(VP building)= 28]+ [4x4(VP building)= 16] + [1x4(VP building)= 4] = 48 points
4th player : 2x4(VP building)= 8 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Session report of a game between newbies
Fun game. Are you showing your total score and just the other player's end game bonuses - a little confused by that. My wife and I play two players and always very close. Being ahead mid-game means little as no sections get completed later in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just the end vp bonuses without the remaining silverlings and workers

final score was: 250, 245, 221, 211

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I think our two player scores have been in the mid 100's, but maybe I am not remembering the add ons. Maybe 4 player scores higher if there is more variety of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen one person not like this game after the first play and he had the same gripe. He was in last place on the move order the entire game. There are games where this IS a big deal, but Burgundy is not one of them. I've won before even though I was in last place on the turn order the entire game. Going into a new round, it's nice to be first in case something really special pops up that you want, but that's only 5 turns out of 25 in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dimitrousis
Greece
Thessaloniki, Euosmos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the green player in that session. First of all I want to say that I really like this game. Its easy to learn but it offers so many interesting choices and paths to victory.
In that game session I tried to take the mine tiles as quickly as possible so I could generate money. By the end of the second year I had already build all 3 mines getting the 7 VP award as well. Then I tried to focus on carpenter and monastery tiles because I had the special tiles that gives you the 4 VP bonus for each of them at the end of game.
All went smoothly as each player was focused on his own play and didnt try to stop the others. For example I managed to take 5 chickens tiles because each player was only collecting his type of animal.
At the end of the game I had only 4 empty spaces on my board while the other players had 6-8 empty spaces. That made all the difference I think. Maybe I was lucky with my dice rolls because I didnt have to spent an action to get workers in the whole game. Of course having the special tile that makes the mines produce workers as well as money helped a lot

I can't wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.