Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am looking for suggestings in printing our board for our prototype. My friend is a graphic designer and she is making us the image and I am wondering what is the best way?

The board is 16 1/4 wide x 5 1/4 tall. My thought was to take to kinkos and print on a sticker and put that on an old board from another game and cut it so it matches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Print to 11" x 17" white cardstock and use a spray adhesive to mount to chipboard. That's what I do anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you print that at home or at a Kinkos type place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is printing it out first then taking it to a frame shop (or some art supply shops) and have them mount it onto foamcore. It's a little bit thicker than a normal game board but it will be plenty sturdy and should be reasonably cheap.

I do like the sticker idea though too, especially useful for larger pieces where you need a folding board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game designer needs a can of this:

Make sure you know how to use it properly though: coat both surfaces, allow both to dry completely, then press them together. If you use it like glue (coating one surface and pressing it on while wet), the bond is not nearly as strong.

Ideally, you want a printer of some sort and a guillotine-style paper cutter too. Then you don't have to waste money at the print shop, especially since you're probably going to go through multiple versions of everything.

As for what to mount your thing onto, foamcore is cheap, rigid, and can be guillotined (though this will crush the edges slightly) or cut with a ruler and a utility knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Toochaos
msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/736489/some-prototyping-vide...

i like his methods
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so jealous of him right now.

Toochaos wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter newland

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm a fan of the full sheet labels stuck onto illustration board. It's fast and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stickers are expensive and not always succesful when applied. Spray glue the print and the board and let dry for a minute and then lay it on. Use a radial cutter from a quilter or get your own at a fabric shop to cut the edges after drying. I go with this because you are more likely to upgrade the board to a new design if you want to make changes versus being stuck with an expensive or time consuming approach that encourages you to stick to bad design. Rotary cutter with straight edge is the best board game prototype tool evar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schuder
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Use a color laser to print on 110lbs cardstock. Prefer laser, since toner melts to paper and isn't affected by most solvents if you try to gloss coat.
Get a can of Super 77 spray adhesive. http://www.dickblick.com/products/3m-super-77-multipurpose-a...
Get a few sheets of chipboard. http://www.dickblick.com/products/all-purpose-chipboard/
Spray both backs of cardstock sheets and chipboard.
Wait 30 seconds and start applying sheets to chipboard.
Cut chipboard to size. A mat knife or box cutter will work just fine.

Fairly cheap and straight forward. Spray adhesive is a bit more forgiving and easier to work with. Just make sure you newspaper to protect the area around where you are spraying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for so many amazing ideas!! I will try a few once the graphic designer is done and give some feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a prototype I don't even use cardboard. I just draw it in MS Paint and then print it at the library (the library has a color printer), and then just cut it out and tape it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.