Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Elora
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Carcassonne didn't work out, you could try Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers. Most people I've played with have preferred it to the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive my bluntness and please don't take this wrong, but my recommendation is to talk with your wife. If she really wants a four player game with depth and lots of interaction but insists that a 60-second explanation makes a game too complex and that a game longer than 20 minutes is too long, then something has to give.

So you know I'm not just bloviating, I'm married with 3 kids (13, 10 and 8... boy, boy, girl) and we play games all the time. Some of the lessons we teach include things like delayed gratification: that you have to take the time to learn the rules and experiment with strategies before you can really find the joy in something like Puerto Rico or Genoa (both of which are big hits with all my kids). We also teach cooperation and compromise: if everyone insists on only playing the game they're in the mood for, we'd rarely play anything at all. I'd ask your wife her feelings about those sorts of things. I don't know you (or her), but from what you shared above, it does sound like if she brought more effort and flexibility to the table (so to speak), then your family's chances of having boardgaming be the success you both are hoping would be much higher.

All that preaching aside, I do have exactly one recommendation for you:

Ugg-Tect - This isn't a game you should play often, since the more clueless you are, the better. However, it's almost guaranteed to be a hit...

(I suspect there's not enough game in suggestions like "For Sale" and that "Dixit" will be too low-key on the interactions. Aargh-tect! for the win!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Lemonde
Canada
St-Hyacinthe
Quebec
flag msg tools
http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you try these games...

"Villa Paletti"
"Guillotine"
"Mamma Mia"
"Nottingham"
"Pack & Stack" ?
For this one, you could ajust rules if needed :
- a player may choose the truck in front of him;
- turn x (choose a number) trucks more than the number of player.

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance
Set the expectations: this is like (or better than) Werewolf but will take a few plays to understand. Try the first one without the expansion rules as a learning game, and then use the additional cards for the second.

The Climbers
The blocks and movement could appeal to your Cathedral-liking wife while being more toylike and less "thinky" than Blockus.

Quiddler
With the kids' ages, word games may be unbalanced, but you might consider this with friendly play. We generally reveal our hands when we are stuck and help eachother.

I second Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix, King of Tokyo and Can't Stop as possibilities.
Other dice games that might fit are Alien Frontiers and Level X. Godzilla Stomp is a light card game in the King of Tokyo theme.

I advise against these reccomendations
Considering how Dominion went over, forget 7 Wonders.
Quarriors has too much randomness for the long term.
Dixit may not work due to the ages and disparate reference points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with Can't Stop.

Dice Town MIGHT work, but there's some reading to do on the cards, and the strategy can be layered.

I want to recommend Bang!, but there's some iconography to learn, plus the complication of sidelining those killed early on. However, it gives all of them the great opportunity to whale on you early in the game, for no reason at all. Isn't venting healthy? Also, it's a cheap entry point.

Winner's Circle and most of the other suggestions seem a bit too involved for them. Especially Betrayal. By the time you tried to explain Betrayal, they'd all walk off. And I'm a huge fan of the game.

Here are my suggestions -- most are under or right around $20, accessible, and available:
Ave Caesar (racing game that tends to end very tightly -- my son learned to play when he was 6 years old)
Bang! (if they like it, you can invest in some of the expansions)
The Bottle Imp (trick taking, with a twist)
Cartagena (souped-up Candyland)
Cloud 9 (press your luck, and take everyone else out with you if you can)
Mall of Horror (expensive, if you can find it, but lots of fear and loathing)
Ra (dice game, but NOT like yahtzee)
Red Dragon Inn (Let's all gang up on Dad! + flavor text on the cards, but may either be a bit much or wear out its welcome)

At the upper end of their tolerance, I might suggest Palastgefluster, but it can be quite complex at times. Certainly not a first choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll help out a fellow Tri-Cities resident with a few recommendations to check out.

Unique and fun: Pyramid

Racing: Fast Flowing Forest Fellers

Dexterity: Sorry! Sliders

Card game: Biblios

Light Euro (a small step up in terms of complexity and length): The Downfall of Pompeii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
Most of these games have been a hit with my kids: Gateway Games for People Who Love Adventure.

From the list: Discworld, Ghost Stories, and Castle Panic have been the biggest hits.

Not on the list: Runebound and Prophecy make my kids forget (for a while) video games.

How is Betrayal not on that list?

Added Betrayal to your list!

Because I don't own it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more to appeal to the video gamers:
Cash and Guns

It's fun, the kids get to shoot their parents and eachother, and there is strategy. If you decide that the theme fits your particular dinner table then this could be a big hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Loopin' Louie meets all your criteria... except maybe not #6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Mondo Its the only game my wife ever asked to play.

Also try Roll'n Bump. simple rules and lots of dice

Revolution! may work but maybe a tad too complex.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Click Clack Lumberjack
Cloud 9
10 Days in Africa (or any of the games in the "10 Days" series)
Lost Cities: The Board Game
6 Nimmt!
Ubongo
Archaeology: The Card Game
+1 Can't Stop
+1 Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter newland

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I saw someone mentioned Quiddler which reminded me to add SET

You can try out both Quiddler and SET online at setgame.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages could work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
I also appreciate the "non-game" recommendations here for helping the games nights go a little more smoothly. I really love this community, because of how much people go out of their way to help.

bholmes4 wrote:
Was this a suggestion of the kids or something you pushed on them as a replacement for video game time?

I see your point, my 15-year old would rather not play, but does, and ends up enjoying himself and not wanting to stop. My 11-year old asks to play regularly.

The video game restriction and board games didn't both start at the same time, and I don't even think the kids know they're related (we never talk about the two being related), because we didn't want them to be linked in their minds.

bholmes4 wrote:

Consider waiting a few years until this stage passes and hopefully you can win them over as young adults who might appreciate what you tried to do here. When I entered university some of my favourite times were family nights, where I would go home and we would play board and card games, share some alcoholic beverages and finally interact as 'equals'.

I agree, and this is why I'm not pushing the more complex games, even though I think they'd enjoy them. They seem to enjoy the short, quick doses right now, so I'm not trying to push anything else.

DigitalMan wrote:
Please forgive my bluntness and please don't take this wrong, but my recommendation is to talk with your wife. If she really wants a four player game with depth and lots of interaction but insists that a 60-second explanation makes a game too complex and that a game longer than 20 minutes is too long, then something has to give.

I do appreciate your point, I think this is where I wasn't completely clear. She doesn't actually want any new games - it's me that thinks we can do better. She doesn't see a problem with the games we've tried, and the ones I've introduced have been worse, so she'd rather I didn't introduce any new ones.

The restrictions are mine, based on what's worked well and what hasn't. In the future, with a better track record, I should be able to push them a bit. But in all fairness Stone Age and Dominion simply weren't the types of engagement she was looking for, so she likely judged accurately.

It's not that the game is too complex... it's that any game that takes that long to explain is going to have a different type of experience than she's looking for.

But I agree, some more open-mindedness would be helpful.

DigitalMan wrote:

(I suspect there's not enough game in suggestions like "For Sale" and that "Dixit" will be too low-key on the interactions. Aargh-tect! for the win!)

Impressive... you're actually spot-on, I own "For Sale" and that was my wife's exact comment. And we're borrowing Dixit and it went alright, but was too low-key. So I'll take your recommendation for Ugg-Tect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Parker
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second the recommendation for Can't Stop.

I'm surprised that Ticket to Ride bombed and was boring? What map were you using and how many goes did you give it? Was everyone clear on the rules/idea of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Gosaric
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Please forgive my bluntness and please don't take this wrong, but my recommendation is to talk with your wife.
This.

Also these:
DigitalMan wrote:
Some of the lessons we teach include things like delayed gratification
/.../
teach cooperation and compromise: if everyone insists on only playing the game they're in the mood for, we'd rarely play anything at all.

If somebody would do this to me:
OP wrote:
My wife sat through about 60 seconds of explanation for both Stone Age and Dominion, and said "nope. Next?".

They're playing what they want as long as they want.
Without me.
Not worth my time, let alone effort.

I can brew myself a cuppa of my best tea, watch them play and go read a book when I had enough.

and for obligatory recommendation:
Kubb - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubb
Let them sweat a bit. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Gosaric
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s2alexan wrote:
I do appreciate your point, I think this is where I wasn't completely clear. She doesn't actually want any new games - it's me that thinks we can do better. She doesn't see a problem with the games we've tried, and the ones I've introduced have been worse, so she'd rather I didn't introduce any new ones.

So don't. Pushing games unto people, that don't want them won't help anyone. But also if you dislike one game immensely, skip it. Wait for another game. Setting limits, helps us to feel better about ourselves and the people that were with.

s2alexan wrote:
It's not that the game is too complex... it's that any game that takes that long to explain is going to have a different type of experience than she's looking for.

Not really true, as my beloved games of ameritrash ilk have both 20 minutes of rules explanation and they're very interactive (Cosmic Encounter). I don't get the "she want deep games" part though. I know people who mostly love party games and that's okay. their favourite: Kakerlakensalat. it's kids game, but why not.

So another batch of suggestions:
Jungle Speed: all interaction and adrenaline with none depth and thinking
Turn the Tide. Not sure, but we like it, becuse it's explained in a minute and there is interaction, it's just not loud (bluffing and double think)
Pit ?
Reverse Charades ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - dice rolling but miles better than Yahtzee.

Also, how about Reiner Knizia's Decathlon? It's free as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions. I would add Archaeology: The Card Game. My family enjoys it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Boor
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubs: A Game of Wit and Luck is a good one for kids. We played this weekend with an 11 and 9 year old and the 11 year old asked again and again to play. We got in at least 6 games between an evening and morning and even the parents had fun.

Shameless plug: My game, Pirate Hunter, is available as a print & play game here on BGG. A newly revised rules doc has been submitted and is pending. It's a game about battling some of the most famous pirates of the golden age played with cards and dice. Kids in the age range you mentioned as well as adults have really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismActionPlan.org Methyl B-12 Therapy * It saved my son *
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your OP, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects just popped into my mind.

Monopoly Deal Card Game might also keep them interested.

Best Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
King of Tokyo

Castle Panic

Excape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Elora
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldavi27 wrote:
After reading your OP, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects just popped into my mind.

That might be a good possibility. I even have a copy you could borrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and King of Tokyo.

And why not play games with your kids without your wife? Or with your wife and without your kids? Try Jaipur for a 2-player game.

Not liking Ticket to Ride is pretty rough.

And Pandemic is pretty easy to explain and play. Been a hit with everyone I've tried it with.

Oh! And check out Yahtzee Free for All for an improved Yahtzee and Bananagrams for a surprisingly good word game.

Take a look at China or Alhambra - easy to explain and fantastic strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try Twilight Imperium?

They way i see it what ever you put out after 12 hours of TI, it will be an awesome slam dunk and a the best thing since sliced bread. In fact I am wiling to bet they will thank you for it, and love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.