Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Stenzel
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this expansion compatible with The Rivals for Catan card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No. Besides, the base game with Rivals comes with three of its own "expansions", so it wouldn't be needed anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stenzel
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
No. Besides, the base game with Rivals comes with three of its own "expansions", so it wouldn't be needed anyways.

That's what I thought. I just got Rivals and also picked up Age of Darkness expansion so I should be good for a while. I also picked up Struggle for Catan card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rivals has three expansion decks as does Age of Darkness. Thematically, these six cover most of Catan Card Game and its seven expansions. The biggest thematic delta is Catan Card Game's Wizard & Dragons expansion; I always thought this was the weakest expansion (wrt gameplay; I *really* wanted it to work!) of the original set.

You should consider Rivals + Age of Darkess as a reimplementation of Catan Card Game + Catan Card Game Expansion Set. They are not intended to be compatible and it would be redundant to have both. (That said, I'm keeping my Catan Card Game set because it has a lot of memories being my most-played Euro, but I bought Rivals to play with my daughter as it was thematically compatible with the Candamir board game which we enjoy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stenzel
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Rivals has three expansion decks as does Age of Darkness. Thematically, these six cover most of Catan Card Game and its seven expansions. The biggest thematic delta is Catan Card Game's Wizard & Dragons expansion; I always thought this was the weakest expansion (wrt gameplay; I *really* wanted it to work!) of the original set.

You should consider Rivals + Age of Darkess as a reimplementation of Catan Card Game + Catan Card Game Expansion Set. They are not intended to be compatible and it would be redundant to have both. (That said, I'm keeping my Catan Card Game set because it has a lot of memories being my most-played Euro, but I bought Rivals to play with my daughter as it was thematically compatible with the Candamir board game which we enjoy.)

I really want to get Candamir and Elasund. I have the 4th edition of the Catan board game and the 3 expansions but the adventures games I feel are needed to complete the set. Also thinking of getting Entdecker and Domaine since they are Catan related. I really enjoy playing Catan with my family and it is a great family series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.