13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [Poll] What is a good amount of paper with an PnP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem-Jan Rensink
msg tools
First of all, I apoligize for my bad grammar

This morning I was wondering if my I wanted to make a PnP version of one of my games, but then I realised that the amount of pages might be too much for some people. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone complain about an amount of paper needed for a PnP.
This made me wonder, would there even be a maximal amount of paper, or doesn't it matter? I decided to make a poll to find out:

Poll
What would be the maximal amount of paper (cutting) that you would be willing to spend for a PnP game?
1-3 Sheets
4-6 Sheets
6-10 Sheets
10-15 Sheets
15-20 Sheets
20-30 Sheets
30+ Sheets
      27 answers
Poll created by Zwavor

If you want to be more specific with your answers, please note in the comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it does not matter, as long as the project is worth it.

Just look at Merchant of Venus:
A Mammooth project, but totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

This. Some games need more stuff. If the game is worth it, the effort is worth it. A 30 page good game is much better than a 1 page crap one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when you a "a page" so you mean something with 300 miniscule round tokens or 6 large "cards". I don't care if i have to cut 30 A-4 pages in 3 pieces, but i do mind fiddling around with hundreds of little round tokens, on a single page.
So i reccomend when it comes to preparation you'd express your "good amount of paper" as a unit of time rather then quantity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a "page count" is just a general measure of complexity rather than actually being about paper scarcity.

It's like when people complain about the 60p rulebook in a game. Granted, some of those pages go toward illustrations, charts, background fiction, an index, a glossary, a table of contents, a forward, a components list... but dang, nobody wants to touch a game that has a 60p rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

munio wrote:
when you a "a page" so you mean something with 300 miniscule round tokens or 6 large "cards". I don't care if i have to cut 30 A-4 pages in 3 pieces, but i do mind fiddling around with hundreds of little round tokens, on a single page.
So i reccomend when it comes to preparation you'd express your "good amount of paper" as a unit of time rather then quantity

These here. The "number of pages" is not near as relevant as the two issues above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this, but a ballpark is useful.

Privatize (http://www.mightyfistgames.com/privatize) is now two pages and easy to cut. People are more likely to try it with it that easy.

On the other hand, I'm getting ready to release a PnP deck game that uses poker size cards and a handful of tokens. How many cards is too many? My guess is the basic game would come with a minimum 6 3x5 cards (for locations) and 1-2 decks of poker size cards for everything else. Cutting out 100+ cards (at 9 a sheet) means 12+ sheets, 8 cuts a sheet with a paper cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do include fronts and backs of cards in ONE file so that they can be duplex-printed correctly. This really helps those of us that laminate PnP.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted 6-10, but I'm willing to go more if it's a project I believe in, or if cutting is minimal on some of the pages. (So there could be 9 pages of cards and three pages for a board, for example.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
6-10 seems good for a more modest scope. A few pages for rules, a few pages for components.

But in the end. A game needs as many pages to print as the game needs. Theres no average In fact there was a contest to produce games on a single sheet. And then theres monsters like Merchant of Venus or Magic realm.

Another example of a high page count game would be a text adventure paragraph game like Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game which must be into the hundreds of pages by now if you printed out all the speciality add-on books for each era.

But really, trying to squash a game that should have more pages into fewer is going to lose something somewhere, and trying to stretch a game that should be 1 or two to fit some misconcieved page count is going to fail too. Go with what the game needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
6-10 seems good for a more modest scope. A few pages for rules, a few pages for components.

But in the end. A game needs as many pages to print as the game needs. Theres no average In fact there was a contest to produce games on a single sheet. And then theres monsters like Merchant of Venus or Magic realm.

Another example of a high page count game would be a text adventure paragraph game like Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game which must be into the hundreds of pages by now if you printed out all the speciality add-on books for each era.

But really, trying to squash a game that should have more pages into fewer is going to lose something somewhere, and trying to stretch a game that should be 1 or two to fit some misconcieved page count is going to fail too. Go with what the game needs.

Good point. The one thing I'll add is that some people whistle don't bother to print out rulebooks, they just reference them from their computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the rest of us hate being tied to a computer to play a board game. Print the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
And the rest of us hate being tied to a computer to play a board game. Print the rules!

I've used my phone before to do neither; I'll keep the PDF open and reference it on that while playing, like that there's no computer to get in the way and also no rules document to get in the way!

Then again, this is as much because I have a relatively small table as anything, A4 printouts take up a lot of table space, and if you're constantly picking them up to reference them, you can't leave other things on top of them.

That said, when I do print out rules it's very rarely something I even consider part of the size of the project; it doesn't involve any real effort unless I'm making covered and stitched booklet copy, and even then it's probably less work than mounting and cutting a single sheet of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.