Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
First good news is that, as you may know, 2nd print is planned for May, yay!

Second is that Eclipse is a great game.

I had problems rating it correctly. I had rated Twilight Imperium '9', and in my scale Eclipse also deserved solid '9'. Yet with Eclipse being simply a better game in some areas there is something in TI that makes it more epic. Of course it comes at a price - I can fit 4-player Eclipse game in 2-3 hours - half of time needed for TI. I decided to give it a '9' but increased TI rating.

The thing that is both strength and weakness of Eclipse is the fixed turn number. That makes the game play in predictable time, but also interferes with the feeling that you are fighting for galactic dominance. You fight for points. And sometimes game ends at most interesting point.

I don't like Through the Ages that much, but the 'control panel' seemed like a great idea. Players sheet where we keep all our cubes of population/resources and where removing means increasing some parameters/upkeep. Eclipse uses similar concept:

Each turn you choose any number of actions - 'any' meaning amount you can afford - each action comes with upkeep, what I find great idea.

I like putting new tiles through Exploration as it makes you skip large part of setup that was there in Twilight Imperium.

Technology progress is great - simpler than in TI - where we take turns at technology tree thinking what to research, but complex enough to play important part in the game. We had some problems with Cruiser fleets filled with 3 alien tech upgrades (when someone just got lucky), but it wasn't game breaking.

What I would like is and expansion that gives objectives to players and drop the fixed turn number. And also brings miniatures like this :

As I mentioned earlier - Eclipse is a great game - solid '9' for me - can be even higher, if TI feels to heavy/lengthy for you. It is like TI and Through the Ages had beautiful baby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You fight for points. And sometimes game ends at most interesting point."

good review, short, easy to read, and the remark above tells me something i didn't already know that might influence whether i buy it when the reprint comes available.

I have TI2 and quite like it, and i do like the idea of a shorter more refined game, but i hate premature endings. Could you house rule out the limited turn number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:

good review, short, easy to read, and the remark above tells me something i didn't already know that might influence whether i buy it when the reprint comes available.

I have TI2 and quite like it, and i do like the idea of a shorter more refined game, but i hate premature endings. Could you house rule out the limited turn number?

It seems to me that "ends at most interesting point" is a good thing. Why would I want to play more of the game which will be "less than interesting" since the most interesting part already happened.

Dropping limited turn number would create a completely different game. VP would be meaningless.

For those that want to play Eclipse without limited turns, just play Risk instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
I think being Euro/AT hybrid (as I see it) is Eclipse biggest strength and biggest weakness alike. It is great game - yet it may have some loose ends that would not satisfy hardcore euro fans (randomness?) and hardcore AT (being bit less thematic than TI for example).

It probably will appeal best to those who like both. I am proud to wear 'Eclipse fan' microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:

Part of the perception that the game ends early is that new players tend to wait to attack. There should be serious fighting in the midgame rather than the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title is highly misleading, I fail to see any news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:

Eclipse builds to a climax. Poor play might slow that build, but nothing can stop it (tech advances, exploration runs out, good reputation chits are going on other players' boards) and eventually if nothing else moves you, the fact that this is your last turn to make a grab for points will. Or if you are wiser, the fact that the next turn is the last turn to make a grab for points will move you. Or wiser still there are only 2 turns left in the game, I better start gearing up for a push, etc.

Think of it as a multi-player space conquest boxing match. You have a set number of rounds to show you deserve to win. If you don't clobber the guy before that. On the other hand it isn't like baseball going until 3am and 17 innings to finally get a 1-0 winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
DukeofChutney wrote:

It seems to me that "ends at most interesting point" is a good thing. Why would I want to play more of the game which will be "less than interesting" since the most interesting part already happened.

I can't speak for either of the others, but my guess is by ending at the most interesting point, he meant "just when it's getting good".

I have played other games where it seems to end right when things are really getting into the meat of the fun. Or that it cuts off right in the thick of that part, leaving you with a feeling that you weren't quite "done" yet. Fortunately, though, I personally haven't had that happen with Eclipse yet - it's pretty much ended just after the climax of the game, which I think is the perfect timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:

Hurrah! I was interested but didn't want to pay the rather high current aftermarket prices. I'll keep an eye out. Do you know if there will be official preorders of any sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
godunow wrote:

Hurrah! I was interested but didn't want to pay the rather high current aftermarket prices. I'll keep an eye out. Do you know if there will be official preorders of any sort?

Check your FLGS or online game store of choice. They should have a pre-order for Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
DukeofChutney wrote:

Dropping limited turn number would create a completely different game. VP would be meaningless.

For those that want to play Eclipse without limited turns, just play Risk instead.

Eclipse Total Domination - No VPs, No turn limit. Play until there is a single, dominant faction. This works in Risk, Axis & Allies , as well as many other games. Why not Eclipse? I think this is strictly a matter of taste and what an individual wants from the game. Purists probably won't embrace the idea, but that is no reason not to try something like this, espcially if playing for Total Domination appeals to you.

I imagine my friends and I will play some kind of variant like this... that is,once we actually have a copy to play. We are a competitive bunch, so during some long weekend session, I can see us playing this way, just to see who is "Overlord of the Galaxy"!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Tompy wrote:
DukeofChutney wrote:

Eclipse Total Domination - No VPs, No turn limit. Play until there is a single, dominant faction. This works in Risk, Axis & Allies , as well as many other games. Why not Eclipse? I think this is strictly a matter of taste and what an individual wants from the game. Purists probably won't embrace the idea, but that is no reason not to try something like this, espcially if playing for Total Domination appeals to you.

Well the reason most people probably wouldn't try it is it would take a VERY long time to do this. Unlike Risk, Axis & Allies, and other games, Eclipse was not built with Elimination being a major goal. It can happen, but it's not going to be easy to completely wipe a player out. If you played for an entire day you may pull it out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your comments.

sigmazero13 wrote:

Well the reason most people probably wouldn't try it is it would take a VERY long time to do this. Unlike Risk, Axis & Allies, and other games, Eclipse was not built with Elimination being a major goal. It can happen, but it's not going to be easy to completely wipe a player out. If you played for an entire day you may pull it out though.

As for Elimination Scenario I agree it would be experiment, possibly unplayable.

But I can imagine variant with objectives - game ending or just bringing more vp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gibbsman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
Happymrdave wrote:
godunow wrote:

Check your FLGS or online game store of choice. They should have a pre-order for Eclipse.

I've got it pre-ordered from Cardhaus. Was the cheapest pre-order that I could find plus they give an extra 5% off for pre-orders.
http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/eclipse__restock...

My FLGS didn't even have a pre-order option and other sites were more expensive, without factoring in shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.