Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: What comes in OGRE Designer's Edition? What we (probably) know so far rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither the Kickstarter page nor SJG's OGRE webpage actually list what comes in the box.

This sellsheet to retailers was announced about a year ago. (Some of the information may have changed or be outdated)

The Kickstarter Bonus Countersheet Survey also has some info about current plans for included units.

That includes 24 Ogres of various types. Yes, you heard right, twenty-four Ogres.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Probable) Confirmed Contents

These are either mentioned or shown as a picture on the Kickstarter page.

1. Consolidated OGRE/G.E.V./Shockwave Rulebook

2. Consolidated OGRE/G.E.V./Shockwave Scenario Book

3. Large, full colour 1.5mm chipboard unit counters from OGRE, G.E.V. and Shockwave (inferred from the sellsheet, sample counter pictures and the fact that maps from all three games are included)

4. Some terrain overlays (inferred from pictures of one-hex overlays)

5. Five mounted maps (OGRE, G1, S1, G2 and one more. See this thread). Now that the project has hit 200K, these will be on five separate single-sided boards.

Map G2 is from OGRE Battlefields and confirmed by this thread.

This strongly suggests that the remaining map is also from OGRE Battlefields, probably S2 or S3 (it'd otherwise have to be a reprint of either G1 or S1, the basic G.E.V./Shockwave maps)

6. Full colour 3D 2mm chipboard Ogre Unit models

7. Full colour 3D chipboard Buildings (probably 2mm as well)

8. Ogre record sheets

9. Two 19mm acrylic faction dice, one each with Combine/Paneuro symbol. (See the additional swag dice option and the 120K goal.)

10. Play aids (mentioned in the sellsheet, and hard to imagine shipping a game without any)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Possible Unit Mix

Units with (?) may be doubtful.

Note that each side (Red - Combine / Blue - Paneuro) generally has copies of the same unit, but with different art.

OGRE

1. Command Post (included)
2. Hardened Command Post (?)
3. Heavy Tank (incl.)
4. Missile Tank (incl.)
5. GEV (incl.)
6. 1-Inf (incl.)
7. 2-Inf (incl.)
8. 3-Inf (incl.)
9. Howitzer (incl.)
10. Mark III Ogre (4 Combine, 4 Paneuro - KS survey)
11. Mark V Ogre (2 Combine, 2 Paneuro - KS survey)

G.E.V.

12. Light Tank (incl.)
13. Mobile Howitzer (incl.)
14. Mark IV Ogre (1 Combine - KS survey)
15. Train (?)

Shockwave

16. Superheavy Tank (incl.)
17. Light GEV (incl.)
18. GEV-PC (included - update #12 vid)
19. Laser Tower (included - KS survey)
20. Laser Turret (3 types. At least one type mentioned in KS survey)
21. Missile Crawler
22. Cruise Missile
22. Truck (included - update #12 vid)
23. Hovertruck (included - update #12 vid)
24. Reactor Building (KS exclusive counter sheet only)
25. Strongpoint Building (3 types)
26. Admin Building (3 types)

Units from Elsewhere

27. Light Artillery Drone (not included: SJ post on Ogre forums)
28. Light Artillery Drone (not included: SJ)
29. Mobile Command Post (?)
30. Light Howitzer (?)
31. Heavy Weapons Inf (not included: BGG poll)
32. Fencer Ogre (2 Paneuro - KS survey)
33. Fencer-B Ogre (1 Paneuro - KS survey)
34. Ninja Ogre (probably not included - KS survey)
35. Doppelsnolder Ogre (1 Paneuro - KS survey)
36. Mark I Ogre (2 Combine - KS survey)
37. Mark II Ogre (2 Combine - KS survey)
38. Mark III-B Ogre (2 Combine - KS survey)
39. Mark VI Ogre (1 Combine - KS survey)
40. Engineers (not included: SJ post)
41. Militia (not included: SJ post)
42. Vulcan (not included: SJ post)

If there are 20 unit types, and each side has an average of 4 of each, the game will come with 160 units.

If there are 30 unit types, and each side has an average of 6 of each unit, the game will come with 360 units.

(Previous versions of OGRE + G.E.V. + Shockwave had about 400 unit/building counters total, though it's unlikely that OGRE Designer's Edition will have so many)

So it seems likely that the game will have about 200 units total of at least 20-30 different types, including 24+ Ogres.

UPDATE: The extra Mercenary Counter Sheetshould add at least 50 other units.

There may also be additional units from other 3K backer level bonus counter sheets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario Count

Many scenarios come with versions for different forces.

'Basic' means it uses conventional (non-Ogre) units only
'Advanced' means it adds more conventional units
'Ogre' means it changes the forces to involve one of more Ogres

Ogre

1. Smash the CP! (3 Ogre versions)
2. Duel

G.E.V.

3. Breakthrough (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)
4. Raid (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)
5. The Train (Basic, Armed Train, Ogre)
6. Ceasefire Collapse (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)

Shockwave

7. The Day Before (Ogre)
8. Super CP (Ogre)
9. NUTS! (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)
10. Recon In Force (Basic and Ogre)
11. Casey Joneski (Basic and Ogre)

Thanks to granitepenguin for providing the Shockwave & OGRE Battlefields scenario info (I don't own those)

Elsewhere

12. The Last Train out (mentioned here). From OGRE Battlefields.

So that's probably at least 12 scenarios, many with multiple versions. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few more thrown into the mix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to add/correct anything I may have missed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What comes with OGRE Designer's Edition? What we (probably) know so far
Shockwave Scenarios:

The Day Before (Ogre/GEV)
Super CP (Ogre)
NUTS! (GEV - Basic and Advanced/Ogre)
Recon In Force (GEV Basic and Ogre)
Casey Joneski (GEV Basic and Ogre)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more scenarios in the Ogre Battlefields supplement, too (this is where Last Train Out comes from). Some are just retreads of earlier scenarios with different maps:

Ceasefire Collapse - no specific setup, just some guidelines

Breakthrough
Map G-2 (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)
Map S-2 (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)

Raid
Map G-3 (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)
Map S-3 (Basic, Advanced, Ogre)

The Last Train Out - Map G-2 (Basic)
Same Song, Second Verse - Map G-3 (Basic, Advanced)
Disputed Crossing - Map S-2 (Basic)
A Bridge Too Near - Map S-3 (Basic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
There are more scenarios in the Ogre Battlefields supplement, too (this is where Last Train Out comes from). Some are just retreads of earlier scenarios with different maps

Thanks again for the info.

Just how much of Battlefields is going to be in the set is uncertain.

(Steve Jackson's pretty much said that OGRE, G.E.V. and Shockwave will be included.)

For instance, we know that 2 out of 4 maps from Battlefields will be included.

And, as you point out, at least one scenario. It seems hopeful that some of the other 3 non-retread scenarios that you mention might be included too.

For the retread scenarios, it may be that they're consolidating them into a single master entry?

e.g. 'Breakthrough' could have lots of force level variations, different map setups, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze, I haven't looked at this stuff in a long time. Here are the scenarios from the Ogre Reinforcement Pack:

These are a bit different. They don't have the typical (Basic, Advanced, etc) for the most part.

The Day After
Maps: two G-1, S-1
Units: GEV with immobile Ogre Hulks
Variant: mobile Ogres

Body Blow
Maps: two G-1, two S-1
Units: GEV and Ogre
variant: three players, dry land (lake is empty)

Fake Out
Maps: two G-1, S-1
Units: Basic

For the sake of completeness, it's worth it to note that there's also the Ogre Scenario Book 1 and the Ogre Book from which to get some more. I might dig those out later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
Here are the scenarios from the Ogre Reinforcement Pack...

For the sake of completeness, it's worth it to note that there's also the Ogre Scenario Book 1 and the Ogre Book from which to get some more. I might dig those out later.

Thanks again.

I very much doubt that any of the Reinforcement Pack scenarios will be in the Designer's Edition.

They each require a duplicate of other the G.E.V. (G2) or Shockwave Map (S1). I'm pretty sure ODE's only going to come with one of each.

Scenarios from Ogre Scenario Book 1 and the The Ogre Book are also doubtful, since they're including those as PDFs in the Kickstarter bundles.

Though perhaps if there are one or two of Steve's favourites from those, he might include them.

It's 'his' ("designer's") edition after all.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, it depends very much on what maps are actually in the game. If we hit the $200k mark, that opens things up a bit and _could_ include a number of options (eg., if the two maps are both G1/S1, that would be enough for body blow).

If G2 is actually one of them, then that is kindof out the window and opens a whole different list of speculation.

At the very least, I expect that all the maps will eventually show up as supplemental material if not actually in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In battlefields the basic 'breakthrough' scenario for maps G2 + S2 includes militia.
Also the scenario 'Last train out' has militia in the battlefields version, but I see they are not being play tested in the newer version of that scenario. Maybe militia are being written out of the consolidated rules.
Engineers may get the same treatment.
I kind of hope they still get into the rules, just for completeness, but I can see SJG getting complaints if no counters are provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O'Carroll
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe the units will be double-sided. That means there will be only two types of infantry counters, with 3 squads on front and either 2 or 1 squads on the back. The Advanced scenario from Ogre uses 30 strength points of infantry, so I would expect to see at least ten infantry counters, if not more. I don't know about Marines, maybe those won't be in, or if they are in you'll need to use them as regular Infantry on maps without water.

The Reactor is not included in the basic set of counters according to the latest poll on the stretch-goal countersheet. It is one of the options.

I'd expect to see two Mk III & two Mk V Ogres in each colour scheme, at least. Colour-yourself templates for both Ogre types have been posted online for free, so if you really want to you can make a lot of Ogres for scenarios like Exercise K.

Building strength will be tracked with chits, so I'd expect a minimum of one of each type of hardened building (so one Admin and one Strongpoint, with strength tracked by chits.)

"Doppelsnolder" should be "Doppelsoldner" btw :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tezza23 wrote:
The Reactor is not included in the basic set of counters according to the latest poll on the stretch-goal countersheet. It is one of the options.

Thanks for the info.

Is it permissible for supporters to post the contents of the poll?

(Quite a few overseas fans are following the project closely but don't have access to the poll, as they currently can't back at $100)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tezza23 wrote:
"Doppelsnolder" should be "Doppelsoldner" btw

Darned Paneuro names.

That's why the U.K. joined the North American Combine, to have sensible names like "Mark V" and "Mark III-B".

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
tezza23 wrote:
"Doppelsnolder" should be "Doppelsoldner" btw

Darned Paneuro names.

That's why the U.K. joined the North American Combine, to have sensible names like "Mark V" and "Mark III-B".

devil

And because someone needed to teach them how to speak English properly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey, it's taken us a thousand years to batter English into this shape. Don't go trying to correct it now, we're almost done. We just finished getting rid of "hither", "hence", "wither", "whence", "thither", and "thence", and "whom" has one foot out the door. "Ain't" is back *in* the dictionary after a century on the outs. Next step is to get that extra "r" out of "February". The last thing we need is old world folks putting the brakes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shouldn't be long before 'than' disappears too. Its more likely to disappear then your February idea. Oh it just did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
British English actually lacks a one-word second person plural pronoun (the table goes: I go, you go, we go, he/she/it goes, *blank*, they go).

So the Southern "y'all" is, to my mind, an excellent addition to the language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

"You" is second person plural. "Thou" is second person singular. We started using the plural for more and more situations, for example when you are not to close to the person to whom you are speaking. Pretty soon we used "you" for all second person cases. Then "thou" sounded old-timey and fancy and started getting used in odd situations.

But even though I've lived in California for forty two years and never lived in the South I use "you all" when I want to make it clear that I don't mean just one person.

Does anyone have a sense of thread drift? Or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
We also lack a several gender-neutral terms.

At least we know that a "burgler" is someone who "burgles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

"Burglar"!

English lacks some features, sure, but we have piles of punctuation to make smilies from. Or with. Whatever. Just try to do in Chinese or Arabic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
tezza23 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Is it permissible for supporters to post the contents of the poll?

(Quite a few overseas fans are following the project closely but don't have access to the poll, as they currently can't back at $100)

Non-backers have access to the poll questions, at least. I didn't see a way to see current results, though.

(I'd link to the survey, but I've already taken it, so I'm not sure that would work. Follow the link from update #3 on the Kickstarter page.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Non-backers have access to the poll questions, at least. I didn't see a way to see current results, though.

(I'd link to the survey, but I've already taken it, so I'm not sure that would work. Follow the link from update #3 on the Kickstarter page.)

Thanks Bwian. I've looked at the survey and updated the OP.

Twenty-four Ogres.

Wow. Just wow. This totally exceeded my expectations.

(Note: subject to change, that's just the current plan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

On the one hand, twenty four Ogres is, um, more than you probably need. On the other hand, the *whole game* is pretty much more than you "need", so I plan on just enjoying them wantonly.

I just hope after you stack all those maps and counters in the box you can still fit the Ogres without disassembly. Mine will spend a fair amount of time sitting on shelves and in corners and so on, so they'll be safe. But when I need to carry them to the store or convention they need to be safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For conventions why not take some pre-cut black and white ogres and some colour pens - let participants customise, and then take home their creation. In fact SJG should be using that as a promotion for the game, like promos for CCGs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be time to re-evaluate some of this, taking into account things like having hit the $200k mark, so the maps are now 4 single-sided geomorph maps. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O'Carroll
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
andreww wrote:

On the one hand, twenty four Ogres is, um, more than you probably need.

There is one scenario, Exercise K, which could use that many Ogres. Eight players each with three Ogres... it's a convention scenario.

To update my earlier comment, there WILL be a reactor in the game now, I think it's on one of the bonus sheets. And SJ mentioned the possibility of "reactor goes ka-boom when destroyed" rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tezza23 wrote:
andreww wrote:

On the one hand, twenty four Ogres is, um, more than you probably need.

There is one scenario, Exercise K, which could use that many Ogres. Eight players each with three Ogres... it's a convention scenario.

To update my earlier comment, there WILL be a reactor in the game now, I think it's on one of the bonus sheets. And SJ mentioned the possibility of "reactor goes ka-boom when destroyed" rules.

I think it's on the 'Targets go Boom' KS 75K goal counter sheet.

(It's a KS exclusive, so not everyone will get it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.