Legends of Boxing» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Legends of Boxing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koufax 75
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello.

This is my review of Legends of Boxing. I have always preferred board game to videogames. In videogames the "fantasy" element is missing! I love to imagine a football/rugby game or a fight in my mind, and that's why I love board games! And I love games with dice!!

LoB is a very nice game. What do you need?

- 1 normal die (six sides)
- 2 ten-sided dice
- 1 twenty-sided die (in the rulebook, it says you need 2. But one is enough).

If you don't like dice, you can use the FAC. What is recommended is a Microsoft Excel sheet. There are some calculations to be done during the game, so it is better leaving them to the computer!!

Every fighter is evaluated through a series of ratings which measure his abilities and skills: power, defense, chin, cut... and so on.

This makes the game very realistic: for example, George Foreman will collect lots of KO wins (he is rated 11 for POWER), but he will get tired rather soon. Muhammad Ali, instead, won't get many KO wins, but his defense is excellent and it will be very difficult for his opponents to land clear punches on him.

There are also four main fighting modes: elusive, outside, inside and pressure. If you are elusive, it will be difficult for your opponent to hit you, but you won't land many punches either; if you are aggressive, you will land more punches, but you can also be an easy target for your opponent (especially if his defense is excellent).

Ratings for modes are tailored for each fighter: Rocky Marciano will fight in aggressive mode for most of the bout; Archie Moore will be more cautious.

Hundreds of historical fighters have been rated. The heavyweight category is the one with most fighters, but if you prefer lighter fighters, there are plenty of options, as well.

Do you want to create a fantasy bout between two fighters of different eras (Sugar Ray Robinson vs Ray Monzon)? LoB gives you the chance to do this. Do you want to organize a fantasy tournament with your favorite fighters? With LoB you can do it. If a fighter had a decent international career, there is a good chance he has been rated.

What is also nice is the chance to create a fantasy fighter and follow him through his professional career.

Final review

PROs: It is free. Seldom will you find such a detailed game for free. If Gary Brown charged some money for his game, it would not be unfair!

LoB is not a quick game. Instead it is very realistic. There are details and possible events (a cut, a foul...), but without exaggeration. Certain games have more details and possible outcomes; however, too many details remove the entertaining component. LoB is provides a good balance between realism and entertainment.

Rules are rather easy to grasp. After 2-3 fights you won't need the rulebook anymore! There are certain games which require hours and lots of games before fully understanding their rules.

This makes LoB very entertaining: a 12-round bout can be completed in 40 minutes, which is the perfect duration.

CONs: It can be repetitive. You throw the dice (or you flip the card) and then you see the chart. You throw the dice (or you flip the card) and then you see the chart. And so on for 40 minutes. If you don't like this routine, LoB might be "boring". But the same goes for most board games.

In addition, the player has limited control over the two fighters. He does not have to take any strategic decision. The only choice the player can make is the fighting mode for the last round!

But apart from this, it is a good game. Mark: 8/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.