Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My name is Joe and I am one of the developers of a new web application called Table Top Studio. This application is designed to provide a set of tools for designing, creating, and play testing custom board, card, and other table top games all online in your web browser. Also, by utilizing http://www.thegamecrafter.com/ you are able to export your games and buy physical copies.

We are currently in closed beta and would like to extend an invitation to all game designers to test our application.

Here is one of our tutorial videos:

Once you're ready to start using our application, sign up here: http://tabletopgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

EDIT:
Our goal is to make this application 100% free to use for anyone who is interested in creating games.

Although we do not have a video of the Play Test Environment online yet, I can tell you that the Play Test Environment is a ruleless two dimensional environment specifically for testing your game mechanics. The goal is to have an environment similar to sitting down with your friends at an actual table and playing the game. You can only play the game if you are aware of the rules. This allows the developer to test how their rules are interpreted and understood AND to change their rules on the fly if needed. The ultimate goal of the application is to design physical board games not digital board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jedd Pearce
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My name is Jedd and this is my color.
badge
The best show of all time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in trying this out. It seems to have a really well coded interface.

I stopped by and signed up on your forums.
Jedd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
looks pretty nice. good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some people, myself included, who may be very interested in this. I'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jocolloman wrote:
play testing custom board, card, and other table top games all online in your web browser.

Can you show a demo of this? Or at least explain how this works with comparisons to Vassal, Zunztu, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross platform, I hope?

Edit: Just read that it is browser based. yuk

At least it is cross platform, but I hate using browsers programs (still use "real" e-mail apps, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Cross platform, I hope?

At least it is cross platform, but I hate using browsers programs (still use "real" e-mail apps, for example).

I don't get why using a browser is worse than having to download a specific program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that you autosize graphics by default when you drop images onto the die faces... it looks very cumbersome to have to manually resize. At the very least, autosize should be an option (like you have for 'center').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
Cross platform, I hope?

I don't get why using a browser is worse than having to download a specific program.

Because a browser can be abused by those creating the webapps?
E.g. by sniffing data or making downloads of malware in the background?

And while you can block the internet access for separate softwares via firewall, you certainly won't block the internet access for your browser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jocolloman wrote:
This application is designed to provide a set of tools for designing, creating, and play testing custom board, card, and other table top games all online in your web browser.

Nice sales pitch, but to get more focused feedback it might be good to be upright about what it is (user-friendly front end to TGC game creator?), what the future plans are (vassal-like move components around virtual game-table? export to print&play files?) and how you plan to publish (free with registration vs commercial). And get rid of this bad joke. (Ask for donations instead.)

--

The tutorial looks like you got bleed and cut line wrong. In the TGC templates, the blue line marks the 'safety zone', i.e. everything inside that line is GUARANTEED be on the component. The red line is the trim line, i.e. it shows where the printed sheet MOST LIKELY will be cut, but it's exact position is not guaranteed. The printed image could be cut anywhere between the border of the image (currently not shown in your demo) and the blue line. The BLEED is the area between the cut line and the border of the image. Extending borders helps to hide small miss-alignments in the printing/cutting process.

To illustrate:
Showing safety zone and trim line:

The image to upload to TGC:

What you should get (perfect registration, cut exactly at the trim line)

What you could get (if produced on Monday when Sunday was St. Patrick's Day)

The last image shows the worst case scenario (maximum offset in two directions) which practically should not occur. But if are hard edges in the image near the trim line, it may or may not be visible at the border of the component. So that should be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
firewizard wrote:
jocolloman wrote:
play testing custom board, card, and other table top games all online in your web browser.

Can you show a demo of this? Or at least explain how this works with comparisons to Vassal, Zunztu, etc.

Thank you for your question firewizard. We hope to have more videos available this weekend.

However, I can tell you that the Play Test Environment is a ruleless two dimensional environment specifically for testing your game mechanics. The goal is to have an environment similar to sitting down with your friends at an actual table and playing the game. You can only play the game if you are aware of the rules. This allows the developer to test how their rules are interpreted and understood AND to change their rules on the fly if needed. The ultimate goal of the application is to design physical board games not digital board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Steerpike wrote:
I would suggest that you autosize graphics by default when you drop images onto the die faces... it looks very cumbersome to have to manually resize. At the very least, autosize should be an option (like you have for 'center').

Steerpike, thank you for your suggestion. I really like this idea! It will probably be added to the menu so people don't have to use it by default. The dice video doesn't show that you can add multiple images that will become flattened down when it is exported to TheGameCrafter.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
schattentanz wrote:
apeloverage wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
Cross platform, I hope?

Because a browser can be abused by those creating the webapps?
E.g. by sniffing data or making downloads of malware in the background?

And while you can block the internet access for separate softwares via firewall, you certainly won't block the internet access for your browser

Many considerations were made for how we wanted to distribute this application. A downloadable version was considered but we ultimately decided on a fully web based application. We decided that this would make it the most accessible and provide an easy to use application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Puschl wrote:
jocolloman wrote:
This application is designed to provide a set of tools for designing, creating, and play testing custom board, card, and other table top games all online in your web browser.

Nice sales pitch, but to get more focused feedback it might be good to be upright about what it is (user-friendly front end to TGC game creator?), what the future plans are (vassal-like move components around virtual game-table? export to print&play files?) and how you plan to publish (free with registration vs commercial).

Puschl thank you for your feedback.
You are correct that it is connected to The Game Crafter. However, we hope that it will be much more than just a front end to their fantastic application. We will be providing a Play Test Environment that allows you to test your game in a Two Dimensional environment (see earlier reply for more details). Our goal is to keep the application free to use.

Puschl wrote:
The tutorial looks like you got bleed and cut line wrong. In the TGC templates, the blue line marks the 'safety zone', i.e. everything inside that line is GUARANTEED be on the component. The red line is the trim line, i.e. it shows where the printed sheet MOST LIKELY will be cut, but it's exact position is not guaranteed.

You are correct, this is a mistake. We've added YouTube annotations for now and plan to get new videos soon. Thank you so much for your post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
3XXXDDD wrote:
I'd be very interested in trying this out.

Glad to hear it! Be sure to register on our forum as we will be sending out our second batch of beta keys this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Collard
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
firewizard wrote:
jocolloman wrote:

We've finally made a video demo of the Play Test Environment. Please let us know what you think and what you would like to see in it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.