Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: We are no longer taking sponsor names. Thank you for your support!

Mercenary Counter Sheet

Please thumb to support this project - thanks!

Mock-ups not representative of final artwork

You can help make OGRE Designer’s Edition better for everyone, and get your name of choice on a unit in the game!

What’s the story?

** If you can help us raise $3K, an extra counter sheet will be included in every copy of the game (including those bought later through regular retail) **

We've reserved a level $3000 backer slot for OGRE Designer's Edition.

Steve Jackson has generously offered to increase the size of the extra counter sheet to 10.5" x 17.25" (i.e. double the original size).

You can help make this happen, by sponsoring a unit on the sheet for $64 (e.g. a single Heavy Tank).

In return you’ll get:

- Your name of choice on your sponsored unit’s counter (e.g. ANDERS on a Heavy Tank)

- Your actual name/nickname printed on the counter sprue edge as a sponsor

- To vote for the colour scheme of the units

- The eternal adoration of OGRE fans everywhere

What units will be on the sheet?

We’re in discussion with Steve, but the sheet should have several copies of these unit types:

Ogre Mark I (only one unit. This is a flat counter). Heavy Tank, Light Tank, Missile Tank, Superheavy, GEV, Light GEV, GEV-PC, Howitzer, Mobile Howitzer, Missile Crawler, Infantry, Marines.

There should be a total of about 50+ units available for you to sponsor.

What kind of name can I give ‘my’ unit?

Any name of your choice about 8 letters long, which could be:

- A nickname your tank crew in the OGRE universe might give your vehicle

- Or the name, nickname or callsign of your unit, unit commander, or notable unit member

e.g. J ANDERS, MISS HAP, D COWBOY, CPT JONES

No obscenity or immersion breaking names please (e.g. No ASMITH83).

SJG reserves final right to disallow names.

These mock-ups are our own attempts to give you an idea, NOT the actual graphic designer’s final work

How long can my preferred name be?

Steve is still working out the details of which of the above three options would work best for the counter design.

So we don’t know the final answer to that but it’ll probably be from 6-10 letters (including spaces).

Who are you guys?

We're two high school buddies who started playing OGRE back in 1986.

Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris has been a BGG Supporter for 6 years and Daniel for 4 years. Chris has attended BGG Con for the past 3 years.

We thought this would be a really cool project to do, but need your help to make it happen!

Are sponsorship places limited?

Yes, they’re unfortunately limited by the number of units on the sheet.

Places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

(i.e. We’ll keep a list – you’ll become a sponsor if you’re amongst the first 50+ people to sign up).

Sounds cool. Which unit will I get to name?

When you sign up you’ll be asked to rank the unit types in order of preference.

We’ll then randomise the name pick order amongst sponsors:

- e.g. Sponsor A gets randomly chosen from the first 50 people on the list, to get first pick.

- Their highest ranked unit is matched to them.

- Sponsor B is randomised to get second pick.

- Their highest ranked unit is matched to them, unless all of those units on the counter sheet are already taken.

- Sponsor B would then be matched to their next highest ranked available unit.

Repeat process until 50 sponsors are matched to a unit.

Note that if you sponsor multiple units, you’ll get a higher name pick priority (see next questions).

Can I sponsor more than one unit?

Definitely! Please sponsor as many as you like (it’s $64 per unit).

If I sponsor 4 units, can I request to get all of the same type (e.g. 4 Heavy Tanks) for naming?

We can see that it could be very cool to e.g. have an entire tank platoon named after your friends and family.

You can request that your naming pick be matched to a block of 2 to 4 of the same type (e.g. 4 Heavy Tanks).

We’ll go down your ranking until we find a suitable block of available units, if possible.

If there’s no available block, we’ll go down your ranking individually, as normal.

Will sponsors of more than one unit get name pick priority?

4-unit sponsors will be placed highest in name pick order, then 3-unit sponsors, etc.

We feel this is fair, because large sponsors provide more support to make the game better for everyone.

Can I sponsor if I’m overseas (not US based)?

Absolutely. We’d love for you to be involved.

Do note that if sending spare counter sheets becomes an option, it’ll be more expensive for you to receive them (we’ll charge P&P at cost – see below).

What color will the counters be?

They represent a Mercenary force, so they’ll be a third color.

You can play them either as a third faction or use them to augment or replace Combine/Paneuro units (e.g. so you can use ‘your’ named unit in a standard scenario).

We’ll work with SJG’s designers to come up with a nice paint scheme.

(We currently envisage something like Woodland Camo on a brown or grey counter background. UPDATE: See this poll for initial discussion of colours.)

If you’re a Kickstarter Supporter, the Merc units should be compatible with the bonus Ogres on the 75K bonus sheet.

(i.e. you can use the latter to represent the Merc Ogres).

If you become a sponsor, we aim to send you a poll later letting you choose amongst a few paint schemes.

Why aren’t (Engineers, LADs, Bridges, Flat Ogres, Ninja Ogres, Ogrethulu...) on the counter sheet? You raised my hopes and I’m so disappointed! I hate choo forever!!1

We’d love to see those units in the game too! However, we can’t afford a $3000 counter sheet on our own.

We’re basically just regular OGRE fans like you (unless you’re Bill Gates).

This is the most cost effective option for SJG in terms of tooling.

They’ve offered to double the size of the counter sheet if we pick this set.

That means it’s cheaper for each sponsor, and everyone gets more units.

Based on the current mix of forces in the game, these units also seem the most useful for everyone to have as a third force or as extra counters.

e.g. Let’s say the game was going to have 4 Superheavies per side. You’ll now have the option of adding 2 extra Superheavies to one side’s forces, in a scenario.

Maybe another angel investor will step in and give us all Flat Ogres...

What’s the timeframe for signing up?

Sponsorship is open right now.

Available places will be on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

UPDATE: Sheet #1 is now fully sponsored. We have limited places available on Sheet #2. The new closing date is Mon, 30 April, 12 noon CST.

Please see this thread.

We’ll close sponsorship when either of these two conditions are met:

1) We get 65 sponsors (enough to cover the sheet, plus a waitlist)

2) At Noon CST on Thurs 26 April (in about 5 days)

If by that point we don’t have at least 55 sponsors (probably enough to cover one sheet), we’ll either:

- do an emergency appeal (if we’re just short)

- or cancel the project and rerelease the Kickstarter backer slot.

WTH? You guys pretended to sponsor a sheet without actually having 3K to back it?

We’ve been talking with Steve all along; he’s been understandably busy and couldn’t give us the green light until today.

In the unlikely event that we do release the slot, there’ll be time for someone else to pick it up if they wish.

(And there's still one free 3K backer slot, at time of posting).

When would I have to cough up the money?

Once signup is closed, we’ll contact those on the list to be entitled to a become sponsors (e.g the first 50 names) to:

1) Let them know what sponsored unit they’ve been matched with
2) Ask for the name they want to give their sponsored unit
3) Ask for feedback on colour scheme
4) Request the money via PayPal within 3 days

If they can’t send the money within 3 days, we’d unfortunately have to pass their spot to the next person on the waitlist

Who gets the free copy of the game? What if you collect more than $3000?

Chris and Daniel will keep the game copy to renew their high school OGRE battles, in return for their work organising the project.

We're otherwise aiming to break even (NOT make a 'profit').

Every sponsor who donates will get to name a unit (i.e. we won’t collect from 100 people if there are only 50 units on the sheet).

*** If there’s any excess after we’ve covered costs like PayPal and BGG fees, we’ll donate it to the OGRE Kickstarter ***

Do recall that, if the project succeeds, all owners of the game everywhere will get the extra counter sheet.

And Steve has generously offered to double the size of the sheet, in response to this project!

Who gets the 'dozen extra copies' of the counter sheets?

Unfortunately, Steve has said that it’s unlikely that the printer will be able to provide 50+ extra copies (enough for one per sponsor).

In the event that they do, we'll offer to send them out at cost to sponsors.

If not, we’ll try to offer any available copies to the biggest sponsors (sent at cost).

Is this a scam? What if you take the money and run?

Kickstarter has Chris’ account details, including his address and credit card details (through Amazon).

He can be traced, and his job, family, reputation and staying out of jail are all worth more than $3000.

For what it’s worth, you can also check our BGG profiles for our contributions, which span several years (including *here* and *here*).

We’re genuine geeks; that stuff’s hard to fake.

Will BGG get its 3% share, like it does in Marketplace sales?

Yes, we’ve contacted Octavian and will pass BGG 3% of the final amount raised.

I don’t want to spend $64. Can I still chip in and help?

Yes, thank you! Feel free to email the address below (with the subject line: ‘Donation’) stating your pledge amount.

We'll only actually ask for your pledge amount if we can't complete the project (i.e. don't have enough for $3K + fees).

If do we need to call on you, we’ll also give you the option to help pick a colour scheme.

It's utter OGRE insanity, but I love it. How do I sign up?

Email us at (mercenary.counter.sheet@gmail.com) with the following:

1) Subject line 'OGRE Unit Sponsorship'

2) Copy and paste the following list and rank them in order of your preference by writing the numbers 1 through 13 next to them (i.e. 1 is your first choice of unit for naming privileges, 2 is your second choice, etc). **Do this again for each $64 unit you’re sponsoring**

Ogre Mark I -
Heavy Tank -
Light Tank -
Missile Tank -
Superheavy -
GEV -
Light GEV -
GEV-PC -
Howitzer -
Mobile Howitzer -
Missile Crawler -
Infantry -
Marines -

Please note that by doing so, you’re committing to donating $64 per unit (if you’re high enough on the list to become a sponsor).

We’ll reply to confirm that we’ve received your sponsorship request, and contact you with further details once the project closes (see above).

(To avoid disappointment, please check that this address isn’t in your spam filter!)

Thanks for reading, and we look forward to your help to make this happen!

Chris & Daniel
Mercenary Counter Sheet

(edits: corrected typo on projected end date, grammar, updated counter sheet size, clarified pledges of less than $64, clarified block sponsors, clarified that the counter sheet is an extra one, edited title for clarity, added contest)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini-Contest - win GeekGold

CONTEST CLOSED

Just to spice things up. Anyone can enter, not just sponsors

Guess the 3 most popular units of the 50 sponsors.

(The 3 units folks want to name the most. The list of units is in the second question, above).

Post your contest answers on this thread (please don't email them to us!).

Winner gets 10GG + half the tips to this post (and the one on page 2) - currently 30GG

Runner-up gets 5GG + half the tips to this post (and the one on page 2) - currently 25GG

Feel free to tip this post if you'd like to help the counter sheet along a little.

Guessing units in the correct order of popularity breaks ties, if any.

Prizes will be split equally if there are remaining ties.

(I'll announce winners when we have 50 sponsors.)

Example of contest entry

1. Missile Crawler
2. GEV-PC
3. Marines

------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. Please help out by thumbing and bumping this thread if you like! Thanks!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mercenary Counter Sheet: Sponsor and Name a Counter in OGRE Designer’s Edition, and Help Make the Game Better for Everyone!
Very cool. I'm in for infantry (with luck).

Talorien wrote:
2) At Noon CST on Thurs 26 Jan (in about 5 days)

There looks to be a typo in that line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mercenary Counter Sheet: Sponsor and Name a Counter in OGRE Designer’s Edition, and Help Make the Game Better for Everyone!
selenite wrote:
Very cool. I'm in for infantry (with luck).

Talorien wrote:
2) At Noon CST on Thurs 26 Jan (in about 5 days)

There looks to be a typo in that line.

Thanks! Corrected now.

By the way, a big thank you to our generous GeekGold contest donors:

Bryan Turner
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Dan MacDonald

Glendale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb

Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

George Mendoza
United States
Sheppard AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb

Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read everything (supposed to be studying now), but I'd be really interested in sponsoring a GEV. I'll read the full thing when I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish i had the money i did a few years ago, because, while expensive, the mercenary sheet is the cheapest way i've ever seen to get yourself into a game. Coming up with this was a little bit genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I wish i had the money i did a few years ago, because, while expensive, the mercenary sheet is the cheapest way i've ever seen to get yourself into a game. Coming up with this was a little bit genius.

Yes, we're very happy about it. Steve Jackson has been very generous and everyone who buys the game gets more units to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:

And just a little bit crazy. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Franklin
msg tools
How has the response been so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The sheet is approximately 10.5 x 17.125 in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:

Thanks Phil.

I've updated the size on the announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:

Haha. Phil you are a man after my own heart. You say "about" and then give a number to 3 decimal points.

My wife mocks me all the time for saying things like "about 3:17pm"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wright
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris & Dan--

Thanks for organizing this. Was very sad to miss out on the name-your-own Ogre in the KS project. This is the next-best thing. Great idea, happy to join in.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in for 2 GEV units (hopefully)! One for me and the Mrs., as well as one for my 3 year old so he'll be psyched to play it in a few years. ninja

Thanks again you guys - this is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
I am in for 2 GEV units (hopefully)! One for me and the Mrs., as well as one for my 3 year old so he'll be psyched to play it in a few years. ninja

Thanks again you guys - this is great

Very welcome!

And a supporter like you deserves an Ogre fan microbadge...

(You can get it under My Geek > Profile > Buy Microbadges)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just keeps getting better and better. Well done SJ Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidalgo wrote:
This just keeps getting better and better. Well done SJ Games!

Indeed! I have been very impressed with Steve and Phil. They have been very responsive and extremely helpful. I don't even play munchkin but I may have to go buy some now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down for this--sent you an email. My personal pref would be for digital or even better flectarn cammo vice woodland, if that is possible. Just putting it out there for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eben Waters
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ohh! Could I get one named Bun-Bun? Edit. note to self: Read it thoroughly before commenting!!!!

Email sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mexiconan wrote:
How has the response been so far?

Response has been good, thanks.

Places are about 40% filled at this point.

Thanks to everyone who has supported so far. You guys rock!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eben Waters
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its not about other people's initials, its about having MY initials on an official counter for the game. I can point it out and say I helped get this added to the game.

Sure, you could make your own, but they wouldn't be official. Other people won't see them and wonder why SJ Games named those units the way they did.

If it didn't matter, why does your profile mention your name suggestion for "The Manhatten Project"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I don't get this. if you supply 3 THOUSAND dollars between you, you get to put your name on a counter, and the sheet is 10 by 17 inches. So basically someone just edits some text on the counters before hitting Ctrl & P, and this somehow makes the game better for everyone?

Please note that the "we want our names/initials on counters" came from outside of Steve Jackson Games. We did not tell any of the $3,000 supporters what they had to put on the sheet, but we are trying to work with them to create what they want.

And the money covers a lot more than just the time to create the new sheets (which is not as simple as you suggest). The money also helps cover film costs, manufacturing costs, die costs, assembly costs, and shipping costs. And shipping is expensive; we're paying to ship these games twice -- once from the factory and once to backers -- and with a game of this size and weight that's a lot of money. You could buy somewhere between six and eight copies of Ogre in 1977 for what we're going to spend just to ship the game in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
. . . and why the fact that the counter sheet is 10 by 17 inches makes it some kind of technological miracle, thats all.

It's a large counter sheet, not a miracle. It's a headache on the manufacturing and assembly side of things, yes, but I don't think that I have once claimed that it is a "miracle." I am sorry if I implied that it was anything more than just a very large sheet of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
. . . and you've cleared a quarter of a million dollars so that must make it a pretty successful project

If the game had about half the amount of weight and stuff packed in I'd agree with you. If you've never manufactured a boardgame then it can be tough to comprehend just how much something as simple a box of this size costs . . . and then to fill it? The costs are this are terrifying. I think at last estimate we could print something like 15 or 16 copies of Munchkin for the cost of one copy of Ogre. And we're not selling Ogre for 15 times the price of a copy of Munchkin.

ldsdbomber wrote:
Maybe I'm just in an old crotchety bah humbug phase right now

I find it's easier just to stay in that phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in for a unit. Should be fun to have my own personal unit... maybe an Ogre, to be ridiculous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lee,

What makes this great is that the countersheet is over and above what was already in the box. This is a bonus countersheet that every owner of the game will only get if we raise enough to support the countersheet.

The fact that you can get to be part of an excellent classic game, in a deluxe format, is pure but wonderful gravy!

If I had the $3K to spare on my own, I'd just give it to SJG and let them give every one an extra countersheet full of wonderful units, but I dont. So the next best thing is to find all the other guys who like me want to put together their pennies to make the game even better for everyone else.

Steve and Phil have been nothing but incredible in making this great game even greater for the fans. There is no way $3K is a good return for SJG to put the countersheets in every game in the print run. The raw material is bad enough, nevermind all the time they are spending on coordinating with us, changing weights, planning dielines, proofing samples, etc.

So since they have decided to do the fans a favor, those of us buying the game are going to make the game more loot-filled for everyone while obtaining a fun bit of Ogre immortality.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.