Hide
10 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dunedain watcher and sneak attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figo 3434
msg tools
Can you put Dunedain watcher into play via sneak attack to cancel a shadow effect? I guess the answer is no, although you can play actions between revealing a shadow card and applying its effect, because a response must be played immediately after the corresponding trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You answered it yourself. Sneak Attack is an action, and Dunedain Watchers ability is a response. So you cannot sneak her in it to cancel a shadow effect.

If this was the case, you could also sneak in Landroval to save a dying hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when Gandalf is used as a sneak attack you don't use his response? He is entering play, so I always assumed that the response would trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
So when Gandalf is used as a sneak attack you don't use his response? He is entering play, so I always assumed that the response would trigger.
You can use Gandalf's response when he enters play via Sneak Attack.

It's not the response on Dunedain Watcher that can't be used in the original question. It's that Sneak Attack is an action, so it can not be used in response to revealing a shadow card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Overweg
United States
ZEELAND
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that if you used sneak attack to put Dunedain watcher into play before the shadow card is revealed then you can use the response to cancel it, but not after the reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct. Before the card is revealed would be perfectly fine. After the Shadow card is revealed, it will resolve before any Action: can be triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
...although you can play actions between revealing a shadow card and applying its effect
No, you can not do this. This is one of a list of steps where you are allowed to play actions at the end of the step.

Quote:
3. Resolve shadow effect. The active player flips that
enemy’s shadow card faceup and resolves any shadow
effect that card might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Just to make it clear please, Actions says, "Actions are always optional and can be triggered by their controller during any action window in the game sequence."

Responses says, "Responses are always optional, and can be triggered by their controller in response to (i.e. immediately after) a specified game occurrence."

According to the flow chart on page 31 of the rules, there is a green box over the statement "First player resolves attacks made by enemies against him." This is a green box, not a red box. So why can't an action be played here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Green – Any player can take actions generally, or
between the game steps stated in the rules

It does not state that players may always take actions in the green steps, just that generally they can. The attack steps refer you to pages in the manual where you find:

Quote:
When resolving enemy attacks, the players follow these
4 steps, in order. Players may play event cards and take
actions at the end of each step.

The 4 steps being:

Choose an enemy.
Declare defender.
Resolve Shadow effect.
Determine combat damage

So you can play actions in combat, but only between these steps. This means you cannot use an action while resolving a shadow effect (but you can do so afterwards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.