Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The Overlord's Objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I posted this in the news update, but I thought this warranted a thread of its own.

As we can tell from looking squinting at this:

objectives are listed, which involve gathering/stealing crops and storing them somewhere. Victory conditions are also listed, which I speculate involves hitting a certain number of crop tokens gathered or stolen by each side. I'd say it is a safe bet that the one who has the most crops at the end is the decider for which encounter happens next.

So we know Descent 2E will feature actual scenario objectives, which I believe has lots of potential to be very cool. No more "kill the wizard a lot" being the single strategy the Overlord adopted. At the same time, while I love Mansions of Madness, some of the scenarios in that were just downright Classroom Curses bad. I really hope FFG learned their lesson from that. Of course I doubt Descent is as easy to mess up as MoM, since there isn't any intricate item placements and secret objectives (as far as we know) but that remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The not-so-large picture is almost easier to read:

And yes, I also like having scenario objectives. Will be interesting to see if they play out well.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
It is easier to see, how strange. Thanks shnar.

Under Gathering Crops I can make out "as an action" and mention of Goblin Archer, I also see Goblin Archer mentioned in the Stealing Crops heading. Putting the speculation cap on again, but does that mean that only the Goblin Archer can take the crops and not the other monster category the Overlord selected? That'd be an interesting way to balance the scenario, so the Overlord can't select a really fast moving monster to grab all the crops and run. I wonder if the other scenarios follow that rule (if it's even true to begin with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playing with the sharpness filters in Photoshop gives me this:

(section after MONSTERS)

...archers on the ???? Place the open...

...is based on the number of heroes

...tokens faceup on the Farm tile as...
...bundles of crops.

SPECIAL RULES

Each objective token is a bundle of crops that the goblins must steal and take back to their cave.

GATHERING CROPS

As an action, while adjacent to a bundle of crops, any hero or goblin archer may pick it up. A figure may only carry 1 bundle of crops at a time.

STEALING THE CROPS

If a goblin archer carrying a bundle of crops moves off the map through the ????, the overlord keeps the objective marker to track how many bundles of crops are stolen during the encounter. This will be important during Encounter 2.

STORING THE CROPS

As an action, while in one of the ???? spaces adjacent to the ????, a hero carrying a bundle of crops may choose to ???? it. If he does, the ????ed token is removed from the map and returned to the game box. The overlord does not get to keep the token since he did not successfully steal it.

VICTORY

After all the bundles of crops...
read the following aloud:

(flavor text)

Encounter 1 is complete. Note the number of objective tokens stolen by the overlord for Encounter 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
forster925 wrote:
Note the number of objective tokens stolen by the overlord for Encounter 2.

Hey, d6frog, there's a score for ya I don't know if ALL scenarios will be like that, but still
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
forster925 wrote:

Hey, d6frog, there's a score for ya I don't know if ALL scenarios will be like that, but still

I think this is pretty cool looking. I totally missed that the Overlord would have these types of objectives. That is pretty cool!

And if nothing else, for fan-made quests, adding that sort of thing should be pretty seamless.

I do like how the score has some thematic basis in this scenario - stealing the grain for whatever reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
D6Frog wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
forster925 wrote:

I think this is pretty cool looking. I totally missed that the Overlord would have these types of objectives. That is pretty cool!

And if nothing else, for fan-made quests, adding that sort of thing should be pretty seamless.

I do like how the score has some thematic basis in this scenario - stealing the grain for whatever reason.

Presumably they are stealing to feed a very "Fat Goblin" .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the inclusion of overlord Objectives, since in my opinion the dullest and most repetitive mechanic in 1Ed was playing the OL. The strategic options where obvious and tedious in same ammount.

They tried to adress that in RtL, but even if that was full of interesting new concepts (plots, minions, capaign map) sadly it was completely unplayable for the average player out there (with a life outside of gaming to attend I mean)

With these objectives now the OL strategic options open up a lot depending on them. Which monsters to choose and how to use them better, which cards to include in your deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
D6Frog wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
forster925 wrote:

Presumably they are stealing to feed a very "Fat Goblin" .

Who presumably you get to meet in The Monster's Hoard/The Frozen Spire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More than likely these OL objectives vs. Heroes objectives will carry consequences forward in a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.